Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generic Protagonists

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Fucking ninjas, they all dressing the same.
    lol I guess they wouldnt be very good ninjas if they were easy to tell apart >.<

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrFlamingo View Post
    lol I guess they wouldnt be very good ninjas if they were easy to tell apart >.<
    ah, and memories of Batman Begins come flooding back......

Thanks
    EP Points

same.png

They all look EXACTLY the same! Coincidence, conspiracy or conformity to the generic.

You be the judge!

Edit: ummm....your welcome??
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 6th-September-2012 at 04:10.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Gambit For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A_User View Post
    same.png

They all look EXACTLY the same! Coincidence, conspiracy or conformity to the generic.

You be the judge!
    um, they're all the same guy!

Thanks
    EP Points

Shadow the Hedgehog.

I mean, yeah, Sonic is your generic cocky hero, but ye gods I thought they couldn't reduce character depth any further.

Clearly, I was in error. If I were truly my current namesake, I would've scrapped the Shadow Android Program before the concept even entered my mind and left that idiot stuck in cryofreeze where he belonged.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Shadow the Hedgehog.

I mean, yeah, Sonic is your generic cocky hero, but ye gods I thought they couldn't reduce character depth any further.

Clearly, I was in error. If I were truly my current namesake, I would've scrapped the Shadow Android Program before the concept even entered my mind and left that idiot stuck in cryofreeze where he belonged.
    nope. if anything, YOU'RE a generic antagonist! seriously, mad scientist? that's been worn to death by James Bond, Austin Powers and every B horror movie since the 50s......

Thanks

maybe the heroes from FF 1-3 were similar but 4-10 had very distinctive heroes.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Cant get more generic than the first FF's characters. No character development whatsoever, but it was a fun as hell game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    nope. if anything, YOU'RE a generic antagonist! seriously, mad scientist? that's been worn to death by James Bond, Austin Powers and every B horror movie since the 50s......
    Actually, Robotnik (who I am not being, per se, outside of my thread, as I seem to have to keep reminding you), was conceived around the hey day of the concept, when it was still marginally refreshing. Austin Powers, at its mildest, doesn't even remotely count for this concept. That series of idiotic films came out so much later that it simply doesn't compare. The Bond comparison holds up bette.

Also, at least Robotnik has slightly more than a single dimension. And here's the crux: He's amusing. Shadow is just angsty.

"Maria?" "Oh shut up!" "But I promised Maria-" "Literally nobody gives a damn. Sit down, shut up, and either save the world or destroy it, but for the love of the Master Emerald GET OVER YOURSELF!"

Also, may I just point out that we're discussing generic protagonists? Given that the black-with-red-streaked cretin has had his own game, which was an appalling clusterfuck of a story held together with pritt-stick and spit, he's been in the role of the protagonist. Dr. Robotnik, with the possible exception of Sonic Adventure 2, has not. And I still say, and will always stand by that point, that Shadow is an incredibly one-dimensional, uninteresting, poorly written ball of angst with spines. Feel free to disprove me, of course, with more arguments than 'nope'.
    Last edited by Dr. Ivo Robotnik; 7th-September-2012 at 22:50.

Thanks

Shadow has a great potential for depth and complexity. if in Sonic Adventure 3 they go back to his origins and make him a clone of Sonic and Marias DNA they can start fleshing out his background and sort of explain the sibling rivalry he has with Sonic. from there they can take to two brothers into alternate realities with other versions of themselves

Thanks
    EP Points

Shadow has a great potential for depth and complexity. if in Sonic Adventure 3 they go back to his origins and make him a clone of Sonic and Marias DNA they can start fleshing out his background and sort of explain the sibling rivalry he has with Sonic. from there they can take to two brothers into alternate realities with other versions of themselves
    'potential for'. It hasn't been realised, and I frankly have my doubts even with the potential. They tried to realise it in his game, and failed magnificently. He didn't become more interesting, his story didn't gain any depth, it just became a long overextended version of the short plot we saw in SA2, with some added tragedy and Black Arms thrown in as all-purpose plot lubricant. You want a generic villain? Look at them. They're literally nothing other than 'evil force from space, want world.'

Sonic's DNA? He wasn't even around at the time of Shadow's creation, they'd open up not just a plothole, but some kind of plot-singularity. It makes no sense on practically every level. Shadow's been around for at least 50 years. Sonic, canon wise, is flickering somewhere between 14 and 18, I believe.

It would require several dozen retcons, and Sonic to grow a beard. And older than Dr. Robotnik. Not seeing it happen, for some odd reason.

And please don't start with alternate realities. Once they shoved most of that out of the Archie-verse, it got a lot better for it. Too many inconsistent, rambling plot threads that went absolutely bloody nowhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    'potential for'. It hasn't been realised, and I frankly have my doubts even with the potential. They tried to realise it in his game, and failed magnificently. He didn't become more interesting, his story didn't gain any depth, it just became a long overextended version of the short plot we saw in SA2, with some added tragedy and Black Arms thrown in as all-purpose plot lubricant. You want a generic villain? Look at them. They're literally nothing other than 'evil force from space, want world.'

Sonic's DNA? He wasn't even around at the time of Shadow's creation, they'd open up not just a plothole, but some kind of plot-singularity. It makes no sense on practically every level. Shadow's been around for at least 50 years. Sonic, canon wise, is flickering somewhere between 14 and 18, I believe.

It would require several dozen retcons, and Sonic to grow a beard. And older than Dr. Robotnik. Not seeing it happen, for some odd reason.

And please don't start with alternate realities. Once they shoved most of that out of the Archie-verse, it got a lot better for it. Too many inconsistent, rambling plot threads that went absolutely bloody nowhere.
    remember Silver? IT'S CALLED TIME TRAVEL!

ok, back ON TOPIC, the heroes of most TADs are generic. as is leisure-suit Larry
    Last edited by GunSlinger Boy; 7th-September-2012 at 23:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

remember Silver? IT'S CALLED TIME TRAVEL!
    Yes, and we all know exactly how well time travel worked out for the storyline of the Sonic games, don't we?

The only game that did it right was Generations, mostly because it didn't have much of a plot, which suited the game right down to the bone. "Yeah, evil time monster, excuse for evil plan, now stop Robotnik."

Done. All you need. You had an excuse to blaze through a bunch of levels, defeat Robotnik a couple of times, and face off against a final boss.

Silver, on the other hand, caused so many plotholes and paradoxes in the time-travel infested horror that is Sonic '06's story that it's impossible to untangle where anything is from one moment to the next. Time Travel is very rarely a good idea in any game because it's very rarely implemented well. Final Fantasy VIII failed at it spectacularly because they managed to lose sight of the logical fallacies all over the place, Sonic 2006 got it wrong because it became impossible to figure out what the hell was going on...

Hell, the only ones I can think of that did it passably well are Dark Chronicle, because they don't worry about it too much, Chrono Trigger, because they managed to create a very complex game around it, and possibly Generations although arguably not much time traveling is done within the game itself.

I'll concede the 'back on topic' comment though, and would like to drag it back on topic with Silver.

Generic character with little interest to go for him other than apparently having a pot-leaf hairstyle.

EDIT: And now, to bed. I'll return to this in the morning.
    Last edited by Dr. Ivo Robotnik; 7th-September-2012 at 23:34.

Thanks

you know, i think you ARE Dr Robotnik and are just hating on Sonic and company because they've kicked your butt so many times!

hows about the hero of the Fable series? they're different people MAYBE, but all look the same in the art

maybe you're opinion might be (if you're name happens to by Gypsy), L Lawliet (sorry, Ryuzaki) or Light Yagami.

cus haters gonna hate!
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 8th-September-2012 at 00:16. Reason: don't double post..

Thanks
    EP Points

you know, i think you ARE Dr Robotnik and are just hating on Sonic and company because they've kicked your butt so many times!

hows about the hero of the Fable series? they're different people MAYBE, but all look the same in the art

maybe you're opinion might be (if you're name happens to by Gypsy), L Lawliet (sorry, Ryuzaki) or Light Yagami.

cus haters gonna hate!
    Really? You're pulling the 'haters gonna hate' chestnut on me?

Feel free to think that I am Dr. Robotnik, I'm having enough trouble convincing you otherwise anyway. And I will cheerfully agree that the hero of the Fable series is generic, but here's why I hate Shadow and Silver so much:

They tried to add depth and complexity to characters and storylines that had none and should have had none. Sonic and Robotnik were created based on the Mario principle. Allow me to explain:

"Mario good, Bowser bad, Bowser want Princess, Mario must stop Bowser" and there's the whole premise of practically every Mario game ever. Now for the premise of the Sonic games.
    "Sonic good, Robotnik bad, Robotnik want world, Sonic must stop Robotnik" - All the two game series need. They went to shit when they tried to add a huge amount of complexity and depth and dark edginess to the storylines, because they failed miserably and utterly. Shadow was marginally likeable in SA2, but he should've stayed dead, and Silver should never have been invented. Only since Sonic Colours did they get the storyline premise back on track, where the story was the flimsy excuse for a bunch of different themed levels.

Robotnik didn't need depth and complexity, nor did Sonic, and even after they tried so hard to give those aspects to characters like Shadow and Silver, they failed magnificently and left them more one-dimensional and uninteresting than everyone else. That is why I hate those two gits. They didn't need to be there, and they should never have been invented.

Don't slap the 'haters gonna hate' tag on me, because all it does is make you look sad. I have explanations for why I can't stand them, and I'm merely being accused of being a hater. Don't try that again.

And back on topic: Here's another generic protagonist for you - Lightning, from Final Fantasy XIII. Actually, most of the cast. By this point, Final Fantasy seems to have slipped into the 'character archetype pick-and-mix'. They're all re-renditions of characters from older games or simplified versions. Lightning is essentially a more stiff-mouthed Cloud, so possibly she'd qualify as a slightly less angsty Squall.