Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OUYA console

Thanks

there's also the issue that none of the Iphone games are designed around use of a controller so it's gonna be wonky at best unless we got lots of indy people developing for it.

The big devs aren't gonna develop for it, there just not. When most people can try and get their games on Steam these days and charge 15 bucks there not gonna work on a iphone game. It'd be a cool emulator box but anyone who's heavily into emulation probably have at least one extra PC or laptop kicking around they'd rather use and I doubt you can legally sell something for the intended purpose of emulation.

and who really plays those iphone games honestly. Non gamers mostly. Not meaning that as a slight but the idea is to get some points or levels in while on the can or bus or what gave you. They're not gonna buy a system.

so the intended demographic is either non existent or legally prohibited

Thanks

This is awesome, some dedicated friends could make some interesting games for it. A forum could be made where people vote and review the different games released. It would stop people from being burned out on bad games like in the early 80's. Plus if theyre free or cheap I dont think people will hate it as much. Not as much money is riding on this system so if it fails it wont be too bad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to William Jones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It seems like it could be an interesting idea, if someone were able to turn it into a PC, and able to have windows on it and play PC games.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have my doubts with this system. It sounds nice on paper, but I'll hold off and see if they can make it a reality before committing to it.

Too many things about it make me dubious, and the earlier linked Penny Arcade articles pointed out a few more to me that I missed.

If this looks to be good, I'll get it then. For now, I'll remain cautious.

Thanks
    EP Points

OnLive is Coming to OUYA
    By: Ed Krassenstein

Several weeks ago, news broke about what could be a revolutionary new gaming console; one which could compete with the big boys. It was OUYA, a console that would be running Android, and would allow developers free access to the SDK.

Just today, both OnLive and OUYA announced that they would be teaming up to bring the OnLive game service and the 100′s of games currently available on the service to OUYA, when it is released.

OUYA has gained much fame because of the success of their Kickstarter campaign. They had set a goal to raise $950,000, and so far have raised over $5.5 million.

“When OnLive first heard about OUYA, we were excited to see console gaming becoming more available and open. Like OUYA, we came to gaming with a new vision for making top-quality gaming accessible to more people, and we continue to look for ways to expand on that vision,” explained OnLive General Manager, Bruce Grove in his blog post today.

“OUYA is rethinking the console business, making waves by using standard technology to make gaming for your living room accessible, affordable and more innovative than ever. In OnLive’s case, we pioneered a groundbreaking, cloud-based system that instantly delivers games to any device on demand.”

OUYA backers will see OnLive available on the console upon its launch. They will have access to the massive library of OnLive games, as well as free 30 minute demos to just about every game on the service.

The OUYA console will be priced at $99, which is the same as the current OnLive Game System.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sprung For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Very interesting Sprung

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone see the latest information about how it will come bundled with OnLive? Here

I'm not a big OnLive supported, but I do think it has potential.

Thanks

This seriously sounds too good to be true

Something doesnt feel right, i feel like that if it becomes big, it will be changed into something that will be unfair to the owners

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I did not end up donating 100 bucks to get an OUYA. Not becuase I do not belive it is realor that it will be a fun and capable system, but becuase I spent it elsewhere.
    The fact that OnLive is teaming up with OUYA makes it seem very legit, so I am not worried about the vagueness that surrounds it.

I would like to point out that it is a box that runs android. My phone has better specs than the OUYA, CPU and memory-wise and also has an HDMI port, which means I can connect it to the Tele. I also own a bluetooth controller which connects to most of the games I am interested in playing. What I am saying is that every one of you who has an android based smart phone, already owns an OUYA.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

the OnLive support is just ridiculous. first of all, you have to pay for OnLive eventually (whilst the OUYA first said the games would be free)

and Onlive pretty much runs on every pc with a decent internet, yes even a netbook (tested and works) because it's basically youtube gaming. I really can't see people buying an OUYA when a laptop with internet will do.

btw OnLive on OUYA will still require a decent internet connection.

So basically you buy a non-portable android non-phonable smartphone worth 99$ which has had only 9 months of development and testing. If a console like the ps3 takes about 2-4 years of developing and testing and was still not perfect, thanwhat can one expect of the OUYA. Sorry but I'll pass to this one.
    Being a famous vampire rockstar sucks

Thanks

What I see it as is a small low tech game console that will have a smaller but dedicated fanbase of doujin game developers. its not an android, or a computer, and if people keep on thinking of it as such they should think about what a ps3 or xbox is. this is aimed at smaller developers to have an outlet to get their product on, which is really cool to me. i expect the games to be more complex than the average android games since youll have a controller to work with and itll be an actual home console. graphics arent a big deal to me, game play is. id love to make some retro style games for this. if i can play the touhou project games on this ill be very happy too. this will be a great way to get games that are made quick and cheaply that wouldnt have been made otherwise because they werent big enough for the bigger consoles, and they can be found easily and play easier than if it was just on the android game store. plus we can find a way to set up our emulators on it and not have so many games on our computers taking up space.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by William Jones View Post
    this is aimed at smaller developers to have an outlet to get their product on, which is really cool to me.
    Yeah, except that there's already a platform for smaller developers, who have been using it for years. It's called "PC", and you're most probably using it right now to read this.

So far, I haven't seen anything about OUYA that would set it apart from your average PC, except that it's cheap. But everyone's already got a PC, I don't know anyone who doesn't already own one, and no matter how crappy your PC is, it's more powerful than OUYA. Which makes the whole cheap point completely useless.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Well I guess you could say that PC's are the enemies of the bigger consoles too then. Id rather play my emulator on a home console where Im not getting facebook messages or stuff to distract my self all the time.

Thanks

I sigh at a lot of these comments. The cheapest Tegra 3 is a 1.2ghz quad core and the majority of people have computers between 5-7 years old. That makes it very comparable to those kinds of PCs, but a little slower. It can do a lot for a lot less energy than those comparisons, so it's perfect for an HTPC if they can do hardware acceleration. Most tablets with this chip cost at least $300. Again, it's much cheaper than what anyone can compare it to. I don't expect greatness for the console, but if it can deliver on the apps, it's worth having as a much cheaper alternative for people wanting media centers.

William Jones: You can turn off your internet if that is a big deal for you and a good chunk of change in the process if you switch to something like the OUYA if it comes out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Nemo For This Useful Post: