Thread: Playing (backups on Wii)

Thanks

Default Playing (backups on Wii)

Hi i an bew so please telll me if this is the wrong place, but is it possible to save my download to disk and then play it on Wii (gamecube)?

Thanks
    EP Points

You can download a game, burn it on a disk and then play on a Wii. I never tried this but you can find lots of information searching for "playing dvd on Wii" and "Wii unlock hack". Hopefully, someone can respond and provide useful links to help you.

Thanks
    EP Points

So you're looking to played backed up wii games or gamecube games? I might be able to help

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

It's best to skip burning off each game you want, and just put your games on a USB thumbdrive (or USB harddrive). Some Wii games are pretty big, so you'd need at least a 8GB drive (more is great), and you can get that much space for like $5 nowadays.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

If you are planning to play downloaded/ripped games for the Wii, your best option would be to get a HDD (Hard Disk Drive). They are easier to manage than discs (avoids all the clutter and future disc damage) and can hold many games on a single device. If you have many games downloaded already, go with at least a 100 GB drive (I got an older 500 GB HDD for only $45 at Target). USBLoaderGX or WiiFlow are good USB loaders for Wii games if you plan to use a USB HDD.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

We do have a guide for hacking the Wii at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?70815

If you want more info we need to know what firmware version you are currently using

For now best off not updating your Wii

Personly I use a 2TB external USB hard drive that can and does store 1000 games, the max any 1 partition can store is 500 so I have 3 partitions on that HDD 2 have Wii games and the 3rd has Roms and emulators (SNES Megadrive ect..)

EDIT:- Most models of Wii can not run Wii games from DVD-R/DVD+R at all, it was only the first few models that could play backups from DVD-R/DVD+R with the aid of the soft mod and a DVD loader for Wii/GameCube software
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-May-2012 at 16:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

You can get a tool for PC (Windows): Modmii http://modmii.zzl.org/
    This fine piece of software downloads you everything for softmoding your wii (playing region code free, usb backups, dvd backups ....) and exploiting your wii (exploits are used to install the softmods)
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

Thanks

you can burn em to disc and play em but theres a more efficient way. After all, if discs were so awesome we wouldnt need backup files. if your wii is soft moded and you have home brew you can play gamecube and wii backups via a portable hard drive and an sd card. youll need usb loader and dios mios light as well but its not a difficult process. if thats what you wanna do just let me know and i can point you in the righ direction.

Thanks

I personally store my games on a cheap usb drive, but discs aren't the worst way to go. But not all wiis are capable of playing backups from disk. I tried on mine, and it turned out my revision of wii had a new dvd drive that didn't allow for backups on disk. In that case you can only play gamecube games from sd, but with usbloader gx its not all that complicated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by localmachine View Post
    I personally store my games on a cheap usb drive, but discs aren't the worst way to go. But not all wiis are capable of playing backups from disk. I tried on mine, and it turned out my revision of wii had a new dvd drive that didn't allow for backups on disk. In that case you can only play gamecube games from sd, but with usbloader gx its not all that complicated.
    Playing from disc isn't all that great by the way as the drive will read DVD-/+R media at apx half the speed it will read Original media so some games lag, but via USB there should be no lagging if everything is setup correctly (An example of a lagging game.... Super Mario Galaxy will lag from DVD-/+R for the FMV, ingame was fine this is just due to the discs not being read as fast as the orginals)

Can't say I have personly tested GameCube software via SD though, but I am interested to know how easy it is to do so via USB Loader GX as that is what I have stuck with, even when some of the other loaders ended up more up to date, GX soon caught up

I own most the GameCube games I wanted to play that much, I'm lucky that the few I do like and only have on DVD+R work just fine in my Wii via the official disc loader (though it was hacked to run backups)

I did used to play GameCube backups on my GameCube though via a softmod (GCOS) that let you do a querky swop/swap trick this also lags with the odd game (a mod chip would not of changed that), but better than the alternative method that was first available for the cube that was streaming via a BBA that was slow and most games lagged, not all though.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-July-2012 at 18:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR