Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GAME RAGE DISCUSSION: When gaming goes wrong..

Thanks

Default GAME RAGE DISCUSSION: When gaming goes wrong..

We've all raged at games. If you haven't, you probably haven't played enough. General topic created for discussing past rage, current, most rage inducing games, first game you raged at, gaming genres that are more rage inducing than others, etc. I'll kick it off.

First game I genuinely raged at was On The Ball for SNES. I was very young, I'm not sure how young but damn this game is old. It's pretty much a puzzle game, racing some earth like sphere through a maze by rotating the maze, avoiding and getting through miscellaneous obstacles. I did eventually beat it, but I RAGED when playing it. If anything the most rage inducing part was the Game Over screen, it just seemed so cruel for some reason. It was so blunt and in your face, it would piss you off so much. Not to mention the bs luck game at the end that would play, that MIGHT give you a chance to continue.

I also think rhythm gaming and fighting games are the most rage inducing genres, but that's debatable. I mean I guess naturally puzzle games are probably the most rage inducing, but nothing pisses off a perfectionist like "almost perfect" accuracy in a music game, or 1 loss vs 99 wins in a fighting game.

Currently I only rage at Stepmania, but we have a love/hate relationship.

You?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Magic: The Gathering.

Any stories would be tl;dr but the other people that play here know what's up.

Thanks
    EP Points

Megaman X3 and another game that I forgot the name already ( an old bike pc game).
    Especially the old bike game, I still remember when I play the game when I was still so young. I'm raging and slamming my computer keyboard. My father came to my room and he is like "WTF with you?!" and he turn off the computer and I'm end up crying in the corner of the room.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Persona 3 actually isn't that hard a game.

That said, it's unforgiving. The thing that makes it frustrating sometimes in the ally Ai. For the most part it's rather intelligent (except Mitsuru's Bufu spamming), but there's also that one moment that just fucks everything up and leads to an insta-death. Like healing Yukari after the party is hit with a fire spell while I'm using a persona weak to fire and I'm one hit away from dying. Yeah, she might have lower health, BUT EVERYONE LOSES IF I DIE.

Thanks
    EP Points

Zelda 2- This game is extremely difficult. I cussed at it, threw controller, and finally turned off the game.
    Chrono trigger- I love this game, but there are very difficult boss battles and Ugh.
    Holy Diver is a impossible game, I quit playing because if I didn't, things would've been thrown.(try the game, it's fun)
    Adventure Island-I remember playing this as a kid and getting pissed at the game.
    Just thinking about these games irritates me. UGh

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Magic: The Gathering.

Any stories would be tl;dr but the other people that play here know what's up.
    Turn 5 Emrakul?

/ragequit

Thanks
    EP Points

Smile

I have gone through it with some racing games and fighting games. It's like I start to get lazy, and then at that point, I want the game to just cooperate with my half-assedness; then it goes downhill from there. I have a hard time pacing myself and taking the time to do things right: I start to feel desperate like I'm running out of time, and then I try to rush through something when I should be going back to an easier part to practice.

It was worse when I was younger though, because back then I would turn it into some kind of issue with honor: like I had to keep bashing my head against that wall, and I wouldn't quit until I beat the opponent/track/level/etc. at the highest difficulty. But it had nothing to do with skill because I would just sit there fuming until I got in a lucky shot. It was an unhealthy way to win a game, and I don't think it accomplished anything other than to raise my blood pressure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The 3rd Birthday, even though it's my own stupid fault. Silly me, thinking that it would be a Parasite Eve game, what with it having Aya Brea as the main character... and then it turns out to have nothing at all to do with the other games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Every single Sonic game. Could they let me win for once!?

Oh wait, I'm not in my thread. *cough* *ahem* *cough*

Pardon me.

For me personally, I think the most I've raged at games was when I played out of my usual genre. Racing games are fairly hot contenders, as a result. I rarely play racing games, so oddly enough i'm not exceptionally good at them. The results are usually amusing to watch for anyone not me, I suspect.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    Every single Sonic game. Could they let me win for once!?
    yeah, it's a real shame you don- oh hey there,
    Spoiler warning:
    Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
    and your SHOCKING ENDING.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    yeah, it's a real shame you don- oh hey there,
    Spoiler warning:
    Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
    and your SHOCKING ENDING.
    Yeah, after I made that post I remembered Chronicles. Given the unlikely state of a part II, that's one continuity where Robotnik won.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It was worse when I was younger though, because back then I would turn it into some kind of issue with honor: like I had to keep bashing my head against that wall, and I wouldn't quit until I beat the opponent/track/level/etc. at the highest difficulty. But it had nothing to do with skill because I would just sit there fuming until I got in a lucky shot. It was an unhealthy way to win a game, and I don't think it accomplished anything other than to raise my blood pressure.
    Rofl I did this a lot too. But when I think about it, the younger generation has it a lot easier. I didn't really have easy ass games like Spyro (you know damn well that game franchise is easy as hell), when you beat a game on the SNES you BEAT IT, no doubt about it. There was no Omochao comforting you, or an announcer suggesting you try the tutorial. I can't imagine how the generation that grew up with near impossible games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc. must've felt like. In a way it almost toughened me up for disappointments as I grew older. It seems like every game nowadays has a lot of fluff added to the Game Over screens and whatnot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrun View Post
    Rofl I did this a lot too. But when I think about it, the younger generation has it a lot easier. I didn't really have easy ass games like Spyro (you know damn well that game franchise is easy as hell), when you beat a game on the SNES you BEAT IT, no doubt about it. There was no Omochao comforting you, or an announcer suggesting you try the tutorial. I can't imagine how the generation that grew up with near impossible games like Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc. must've felt like. In a way it almost toughened me up for disappointments as I grew older. It seems like every game nowadays has a lot of fluff added to the Game Over screens and whatnot.
    Yeah, I was even noticing that in Soldner-X how an intercom gives you advice on how to beat the boss while you're fighting it. We never needed anything like that in older Shmups.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ive raged hundreds of times usually at the same games for the same reasons because i didnt get what i wanted accomplished.

Mario and Sonic at winter games anytime i wanna actually try to beat my semi perfect records i always come up short and always blow a fuse when something goes wrong.

Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl ive been trying to do a no death challenge on classic on very hard/intense and you could only guess how many times i got close and failed (brawl i completed it though )
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Misadventures of Tron Bonne:

Levelling-up the servebots on bomb training in the gym. It wasn't until quite a while after that I realised you could actually jump AND launch a bomb to take out targets in the second isle.

Oh, and this:

Last edited by camb702; 16th-April-2012 at 16:50.