Thread: R4 SDHC Help

Thanks

Default R4 SDHC Help

Hey guys, i need some help with an R4.

Heres the story, i bought an R4 for my little brother 2 years back and it is the R4 SDHC model. I was able to get some games for him back in the day and it worked for the time being. However my little brother hasnt touched the DS and R4 SDHC in forever, so he gave them both to me.

I tried to open it up today on the DS and it didnt work. I realized i am missing the kernel or initial firmware the R4 first came with.

So i have a few questions for you guys, thanks for any help. I am also pretty new to this stuff, so any "For Dummies" explanations would be great

1. Where can i download the firmware or initial software that came with the R4 SDHC package?
    2. Do i need to update it? Since i haven't used it since 2009? If so, where can i download it and how do i apply the update?
    3. I remember downloading some games and it wouldn't allow me to play them due to copyrights, is this problem still around today? If so how do i avoid it, or what steps do i take when searching for a rom I want to download?
    4. I see alot of new terminology around today, any i should know? For example, Clean/Patched etc..
    5. As an R4 SDHC user, is there anything important i should know? Like updating my software?
    6. How can i have cheats for my games? For example, i want to play the new YuGioH WC game, and want all cards etc..
    7. I just downloaded the YuGioH WC 2011 game from this site, and when i try to unzip it , it says archive not found, what does this mean? The download took an hour, im sure the files should of been in it.

8. Another problem guys, this is so darn frustrating!! I have just downloaded the 1.47 kernel from two sites, and both of them just give me a "Loading..." Screen, and freezes. Any help/advice? I really dont understandwhy these damn things are so confusing.

Thank you all in advance for the help, ive been trying to sue google for my answers, but am getting frustrated as the answers i need are all mixed up everywhere.
    Last edited by TheJex; 14th-November-2011 at 00:53.

Thanks
    EP Points

You should find the software here.

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-download/

Faqs Including how to cheat

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-fa/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darklinky View Post
    You should find the software here.

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-download/

Faqs Including how to cheat

http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-fa/
    Thank you, i just started downloading the software, however i noticed it says version 1.19, on another site i found 1.47, should i download that instead?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Get the official version firmware for your flash kit, from the official site, the site address is on the front of the flash kit

Other firmwares may not work at all on your kit at all, though it is up to you to try

If you want an alt firmware though you can always try the WooD kernal or the RetroGameFan kernal that both tend to get updated more if your kit works with them that is, this will let you play the latest games as it has fixes for them

Problem is with R4 carts they are all clone cards nowerdays so you don't know what works with what

The Original R4 team died off long before the R4 SDHC came out

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Cool, i got the wood kernel and its been working thanks, however a slight problem, the game i have been playing isnt included in the usrcheatdat. file. How i can find a way to get the cheats needed?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Grab DS-Scene Rom Tool from
    http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=download
    it's under

PC Software
    Nintendo DS
    DS-Scene Rom Tool

Its a AP Patcher/USRcheat's updater

You can also add your own codes to the dat, but to be honest I lost track of what the best tools for that are

Pesonly find that most cheats just make a game pointless to play, but sometimes they can come in handy or can add extra interest in a game (such as opening things that can not be done any other way)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-November-2011 at 10:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon, i found a solution yesterday, it was the R4 Cheat Editor. It allows me to add AR codes. And they have been working nicely so far however its not an ultimate database, it only contains cheats that i have entered in. Since i dont need cheats for every single DS game out, is it ok to just use this? And any idea where i can go to request codes for certain AR cheats that arent currently available?

For example, in the EU version of YuGioH Wc 2011, there is a cheat to make computers move quicker (Because they are extremely slow in this game) However in the US version of AR codes, there are no cheats for that.

Also, i just got the new Pokemon game, and found many AR cheats for it, however, my question is does the Pokemon trainer still exist? I remember having it for Diamond/Pearl and it was a cool tool that edited PKMN Sav files, and pretty much allowed you to create any pokemon, with any stats out of dust , is there one for Black/White?

And i agree lol, certain cheats ruin games but heres my philosophy for these two games. YuGioH - Computers are too slow, it will take me 2 years to gain enough DP to buy enough packs to get cards i need lol.

And Pokemon - I Always run through the story line myself without cheating first because i love these games, I then cheat because it would take me forever to trade/find Pokemon i need.

Thanks
    EP Points

not sure i understand the type of cheats you want but heres the best site i've found for any console/handheld (well theres been SOME that i had to look elsewhere for but not too often)

http://www.gscentral.org/codesearch.php

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheJex View Post
    Thanks Zorlon, i found a solution yesterday, it was the R4 Cheat Editor. It allows me to add AR codes. And they have been working nicely so far however its not an ultimate database, it only contains cheats that i have entered in. Since i dont need cheats for every single DS game out, is it ok to just use this? And any idea where i can go to request codes for certain AR cheats that arent currently available?

For example, in the EU version of YuGioH Wc 2011, there is a cheat to make computers move quicker (Because they are extremely slow in this game) However in the US version of AR codes, there are no cheats for that.

Also, i just got the new Pokemon game, and found many AR cheats for it, however, my question is does the Pokemon trainer still exist? I remember having it for Diamond/Pearl and it was a cool tool that edited PKMN Sav files, and pretty much allowed you to create any pokemon, with any stats out of dust , is there one for Black/White?

And i agree lol, certain cheats ruin games but heres my philosophy for these two games. YuGioH - Computers are too slow, it will take me 2 years to gain enough DP to buy enough packs to get cards i need lol.

And Pokemon - I Always run through the story line myself without cheating first because i love these games, I then cheat because it would take me forever to trade/find Pokemon i need.
    Thats fine

http://cheats.codetwink.com/ is a very good site for codes though doesn't seem to have codes for Yugioh WC 2011

There may be a trainer for saves of the newer Pokemon games but as I have very little interest in those games I wouldn't know for certain but a quick google search would tell you

By the way the codes you have are in the latest usrcheat.dat file aquired via DS-Scene Rom Tool

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thank you both, but yeah seems like both of those databases are a bit outdated in terms of new game releases.

@Zorlon, thank you, i downloaded the tool, updated the usrcheat file and was able to obtain the codes for YuGioH. However most of them i had already by adding them manually, but doesnt hurt to have those plus some ones i didnt already have

One more question, what else can i do with the DS Scene Tool besides updating the usrcheat file? The interface is confusing to me as a noob. What is AP abbreviated for?

Thank You

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry I missed your reply

In answer to your question though AP = Anti Piracy (basicy it can patch to bypass copy protection in games that use it, specially good for carts like the R4 range that don't support AP games without it)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]