Thread: Terraria

Thanks

Default Terraria

http://www.terraria.org/

Does anyone play this? I just bought the game online. Its sorta like a combination of Castlevania and Minecraft, with randomly generated worlds. So far my biggest complaint is the sound in the game, I have to mute the sound because the in game music is awful, but other than that it seems pretty fun.

I think its better than minecraft. I would rather play a 2D side scroll, than a very crude and unrefined 3D combat system like Minecraft has.

Thanks

Yep, I have it too. It's a really fun and addicting game. Worth the cash in any case. I can't quite say that it has something to do with Castlevania, but that might be just me. Personally I think that it's better than Minecraft. I also like the fact that the combat there isn't just there because it can be. Actually, truth be told it's one of the few games that offer theire gameplay logically.

To whoever is interested: I have a review of Terraria, click my signature banner to read it if you want to.

Thanks
    EP Points

Got this on a Steam sale for $5. I prefer it over Minecraft any day.

Thanks

The multiplayer is rather pointless, the gaming community is too immature. Its LOL U SUX NUB I GOTZ MOLTEN ARMOR. Multiplayer is definitely a waste of time, unless you do a private server only with people you know personally.

Thanks
    EP Points

I haven't really gotten around to purchasing this game yet. But it does look interesting kinda reminds me of some of the downloadable games on psn and wii.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Got it during the steam cock up at 75% off, played it for a while and the music does get on the nerves, its also much much much slower paced than the trailer lets on.

Not got anyone that would have me play with them to experience the multiplayer and I dont fancy hunting for some random rabble of pre puberty idiots going "lol lol lol noob lol" and would rather a helpful lot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ahhh Terraria. The 2D MineCraft. (Yes, I know it does many things different. It also does more things exactly the same. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, mind. But it IS true. ).

Personally, I enjoyed playing this game. It's definitely more fun to set up a world or two with friends. Do not - and I cannot stress this enough - do NOT go for open multiplayer or you'll go mental. Besides that though, if you enjoy MineCraft, you may well enjoy Terraria. The added features - NPCs, boss-monsters, and similar make for a nice extra. The worlds are generally pretty massive, but mining through one to the bottom can be a great deal of fun, if only through exploration.

It may not be absolute solid grade A 99 Karat Gold, but at the same time, it's a fun diversion, and it's nice building an impressive castle or similar. If anyone's willing to set it up (Lazy? Me?), I'd be happy to join up once in a while.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, how the HELL did you manage to get -40.558 credits Crimsonedge??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lasharus View Post
    EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, how the HELL did you manage to get -40.558 credits Crimsonedge??
    He be trolling the point system

Thanks
    EP Points

i've played this game some, its one of the few sandbox type games i like much but with only merchant NPCs it kinda feels lonely after a while. still its pretty good i guess

Thanks
    EP Points

Minecraft is the better game, just saying.
    If your only problem with minecraft's crude combat system, might I remind you of terra's fucking shit arc swing attack system, yeah minecraft has the shitter system /rolls eyes.

Terra would be better on an iPad IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    If your only problem with minecraft's crude combat system, might I remind you of terra's fucking shit arc swing attack system, yeah minecraft has the shitter system /rolls eyes.

Have you ever played a side-scrolling action game? Terraria's combat system is nearly flawless. I've played both games (and continue to) quite a bit, and I think everyone can agree that Minecraft is all about building, and Terraria is all about fighting/spelunking. Of course, you can build in Terraria and fight in Minecraft, but both don't do well in that regard. Minecraft's combat system is basically click randomly or hold down M1, and the building in Terraria isn't appealing because it's difficult to build large, impressive structures.

Thanks
    EP Points

While I do agree that Terraria would seemingly fit on a touch based system. I still say Terraria has the better combat simply because I can tell whenever I'm about to hit something, whereas when playing Minecraft, you have no real judgement of the distance of your swing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by megamanax View Post
    While I do agree that Terraria would seemingly fit on a touch based system. I still say Terraria has the better combat simply because I can tell whenever I'm about to hit something, whereas when playing Minecraft, you have no real judgement of the distance of your swing.
    Um that's special.
    SRSLY if you cant gauge melee range, there's something wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by megamanax View Post
    Which is why i usually use bows instead of melee or guns via mods. i too agree it can be hard, especially at night gauging distance to a creeper.
    Persona is so beast...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post

The attack profiles depend on which weapon you have. Some have more arch and range, some have a smaller hit box but are usually faster swinging weapons. They give you a very wide variety of weapons in terraria. In some areas of that game when you got fireballs and mobs coming at you from every direction you need a wide arc swing to break projectiles or you're dead.

In minecraft you just hold the mouse button down and run into stuff and and you can't even tell if your swing is even going to hit or not. They can somehow frequently run though your swinging weapon and bump into you and damage you. There is a quirk in the minecraft system that if you are targeting a block behind an enemy you will swing through them for no damage and hit the block instead. Sometimes there is no real way to determine this, just swing and hope it hits. The problem is they didn't make the combat mechanics different than the normal mechanics of breaking blocks and gathering materials. Of course, combat in minecraft was never to be taken seriously to begin with, it was something they added later. Also the faster your FPS is in game, the easier the combat system is to hit stuff, if your FPS is higher you actually swing more frequently. There is a huge difference between 250 FPS and 50.