Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: modchipped ps2 backwards comp. issue

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    How do you think it works then
    Why can't i launch psx games from HDD or USB WITHOUT using a faulty emulator then.

PAN!

Thanks

ok i tried closing lid once i get to browser and system config screen. just took me to browser the cd icon for some reason is blue and the system thinks its a ps2 disc. once i choose it screen goes black for a few secs and im taken back to the browser.
    now on to that thing you told me to install anywhere specifically where i can find a guide on it? or just google around and read up?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will answer cOcO! first

As for ELF files launching PSX mode data, this is not exactly true (You can't boot PSX data in PS2 mode though) but what this elf does it changes from PS2 mode to PSX mode and then runs an exploit and you could run from HDD or USB is because it's now in PSX mode not PS2 mode and in PSX mode can't read USB or HDD in this mode, I don't know if a work round will ever be made for that, personly can't see it

I thought it was obvious but you seem to of thought it was another PSX emu to what the PS2 already has, that is part emu part hardware

To Carlos Meneses

You do need to cover some basics first
    NEEDED
    1. PS2 v.9 and up (Kinda hope you have that anyway)
    2. ULaunch.ELF
    3. FMCB (1.8 preferably)
    4. Sliding tool or flip top cover / sensor mod. (in your case you need to cover atleast 2 lid sensors (use the sensor mod))
    5. USB stick
    6. Original PS1 game
    7. PSXlauncher.ELF (Attached PSX.zip)

http://sksapps.com/index.php?page=fmcb.html freemcboot guides

download PSX.zip extract and copy psxlauncher.ELF to your USB stick.
    In ULaunch's file browser, go to mass: to access your USB stick and then push R1 to copy psxlauncher.ELF.
    Now go to mc0: (your memory card) and in the boot folder paste psxlauncher.ELF. Now you’re ready to boot psxLauncher.
    You can also config FreeMC Boot to start PSX Launger from the key press on your PAD or add it to the PS2 Main Menu.

Using PSXLauncher
    1. Insert your original PS1 game (don't press any buttons yet)
    2. The game will spin for a few seconds.
    3. after it stops, "swap" the disc with your PSX back up with the sensor mod.
    4. press "X" to boot up the back up
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-June-2011 at 08:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Its also worth noting PSXLauncher only boots backups from the same region as your console.

You seemingly cant get away with a PAL Console + PAL Original to boot a NTSC Game it just black Screens and sits there, So try to use backups of the same Region as your Console and Original PS1 Game

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Its also worth noting PSXLauncher only boots backups from the same region as your console.

You seemingly cant get away with a PAL Console + PAL Original to boot a NTSC Game it just black Screens and sits there, So try to use backups of the same Region as your Console and Original PS1 Game
    Has anyone tried patching the boot code of there backups this is not the same as patching the display region.

Personly I don't need this mod because of my PSone with mod chip

But I can test it, if wanted, my PS2 is ok with CD-R media so I know I won't have any issues that way anyway.

I actually need to patch the region for my PSone because of the badly installed mod chip in it, so it's PAL only but if I patch the boot code from NTSC/U or NTSC/J to PAL/E they boot up just fine, I don't do display patching as that can cause issues in game

Just an idea, or if someone that already has this mod installed can try this, I can give the tools to do so or just look at my latest sticky thread I linked the file to that in there

EDIT: someone else will need to test my idea, I don't have any blank CD's, though if I dig out my old CD's I should have some NTSC games patched with PAL boot code, but I'm not sure where they are at this moment, so would need to dig through some of my older CD's at some point, but I beleive the above should work but I have never tested it. (I would like to be able to say yes that works but without testing/proof I can't)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-June-2011 at 21:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

well my ps2 is the silver slim dhc 77001 i think that was version 16 if im not mistaken. at the moment i am actually thinking of adding an hdd to it because since modchipped i have some games in which i have to clean out the lens with a qtip at least a couple of times before it reads them.it might be the media im using since i did not get that problem with other games that i burned using different media brand.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

USB HDD has a very low compat rate to start with, even when you find a game that works the loading times are very poor and alot of games in-game lag badly to the point of it being unplayable, basicly any game that reads data during play will lag badly some games do cache a bunch of data to the PS2 memory but if this runs out and needs to read data again it will again lag while it is accessed and you will be stuck waiting for it

Dual Layer DVD's may have problems reading so look for DVD-5 rips for those games (these normally go from a DVD-9 to 2 or 3 DVD-5 discs or they rip stuff out to fit 1 DVD-5 disc)

Virbatims DVD+R is the recomended media, though if your PS2 can't read +R media then go for the -R's by Virbatim
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-June-2011 at 22:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

sorry for late replay been busy, but thanks for all the help.