Thread: planing on buying a wii to softmod.

Thanks

Default planing on buying a wii to softmod.

Should I just buy one new or is there a model or firmware version I should look for at the used game places around town.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43070&dateline=118185  0205

Thanks
    EP Points

Well if you want to play games off of DVD+R/-R you need an older console as the newer drives won't read burned discs. The Black/Red consoles do not play burns but do play Wii games from HDD.

You're probably better off with a used white console, as they hardly ever break anyway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How do I tell if the used one has the right drive .
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43070&dateline=118185  0205

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Its even easier than that. Just buy a Wii console with a serial number less than LU64, not equal to. The serial number is a long string of numbers, but you only have to worry about the first four characters, Lu64. Every console will play off of HDD though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I won't run off of DVD anyway, I only use my USB HDD for me anyway it is the best way to run backups

DVD-R/+R will eventually help the drive stop working as there is an extra strain on the laser to read them at half the speed an original DVD is read

HDD is great, no slow downs, though there are games that don't run from HDD like the Sam & Max series 1 DVD but there are very few that have issues, even my originals got installed on the HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-May-2011 at 20:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks guys still not sure what I'm going to buy, running them off an external hdd don't sound to bad...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shiozaki View Post
    Thanks guys still not sure what I'm going to buy, running them off an external hdd don't sound to bad...
    Zorlon has the facts straight. DVD-Rs read at 2x speed, Official pressed games read at 3x speed and an HDD reads at 5x speed. Yes, that means loading from HDD cuts down on load times.
    For HDD loading I use HDD Loader GX, which has the best GUI and can rip your games from official DVD AND Burned DVD directy to the HDD and will remove the extra partitions so to save space.
    He is also right about the strain that burned games cause the laser.

Get an HDD, save money, save your laser, save time on loading screens.

Thanks

If you are hoping to load Gamecube backups, the new Wii DVD drives severely limit your options. There is currently no Gamecube USB loading solution.
    "We are the makers of music; We are the dreamers of Dreams" - Willy Wonka

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah HDD loading is the best right now. Usually playing burned to disc games, whenever you get into cutscenes they stutter pretty bad. Also I use CFGloader i found that it works for me a lot better than the others.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007