Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The state of arcades today...

Thanks
    EP Points

No arcades in my city, it seems. I have to echo some of the others and agree that Arcades do seem to be dying out. They're still profitable in more touristic locations, but in most places, I don't think they're worth the hassle for the owners anymore.

Still, at least sometimes new games are made for arcades. I know for a fact Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was recently converted into an arcade cabinet, for example. (Not sure if I read about it here or elsewhere though )

Thanks

There are still laundry places where they have some games. they constantly switch around the games, though. One's got X-men: children of the atom (cps2 fighter, nice.) and area 51 (always a good choice in lightgun games). the other pissed me off because I LOVE classic Sega arcade games, and they [had] a Friggin' Shinobi! SHINOBI! then they got rid of it for some touch screen B.S. multi game thingy! where all the games are crap and over priced. there used to be an arcade classics machine with Centipede, millipede, missle command and let's go bowling. but no matter what, I'm never too far from a Ms.Pacman machine with the speed-up hack (which seems more common than the regular Ms.Pacman for some reason)...there is one in the laundry and one at Pizza hut where My mom works.
    ...that's about it.

Thanks

There use to be an amazing one kind of near me, but it was sold to a fucking college clothing store. It was 2 hours away, so I only went a couple times a year, but damn, those were the days I counted down on the calender. When it got sold, I was in shambles.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think they are getting obsolete, but I hope it don't. I miss those times, having coins on your pocket and play like crazy for hours in a mall.

My wai-fu, among many other wai-fu, and they are my current favorite. What? Too nerdy? Well, I think it is.
    The Four Eyed Squire LP channel.

Thanks
    EP Points

i think that as long as there are places like chuck E cheese arcades are still going to be around. but there are few places that are solely just arcade zones now adays. and thats sad
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    i think that as long as there are places like chuck E cheese arcades are still going to be around. but there are few places that are solely just arcade zones now adays. and thats sad
    Yes, but for those of us who don't have a Chuck E Cheese in their city (you know... people who don't live in America...) they are rapidly becoming hard to find.

Thanks
    EP Points

The Chuck E. Cheese in my town barley has any good arcade games, just a few. Most of it is just fun games, and video games for little kids. If only arcades revived in America and elsewhere besides Japan.

Thanks
    EP Points

Aparently, I never played any arcade game in my life, not because I don't like it, it's just because here in Brazil, they are inside bars, and my mother would never let me inside those places 10 years ago. Now, I don't go because I can play at home, in emulators.

Thanks

they were awesome when i was in highschool circa 98-02, but nowadays i can find them in only 2 places..chuck e cheese or the local pool hall that has the same games since like 95 lol id have to say aracdes are just about dead...and its sad...got laid a few times in the bathroom at one hahahahah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    Aparently, I never played any arcade game in my life, not because I don't like it, it's just because here in Brazil, they are inside bars, and my mother would never let me inside those places 10 years ago. Now, I don't go because I can play at home, in emulators.
    There are some Brazilians that are diehard KoF fans at an arcade I go to. They still play KoF XI and 2002.
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    EP Points

I play the Arcade at Craig's Cruiser's . MAn House of the dead 2 is fun. i wasted 18 dollars on it before beating it.

Thanks

Yeah the Arcade is a dying entity. No longer are there the dim rooms with sounds of blasters, in game battle cries and the the dings of Pinball machines going off. There used to be a small arcade down by the beach i used to go to in highschool that used credit keys. Used to go down there 3-4 times a week with my friends and play DDR and other games while awaiting a turn. Then head to the beach and goof off. Sadly they closed down about 3 years ago =( shitty thing was, that I still had 15 bucks worth of credits on my key (which I still own). Now the only two that I know of are Treasure Island fun center which is more kid oriented, and Celebration Station which is in between teens and kids...and neither of these places really take good care of their machines =/. It's a shame, I would of really liked to open one up one day, but since console gaming is a bigger hit now then it's ever been, nobody ever wants to leave their homes to go out...It's kinda sad...Yes emulation is nifty and convenient but damn it, it never beats the real thing.

The feel of the joystick/controller, the sounds the machines make, and the atmosphere....you just cant get that with emulation or even home consoles (as far as arcades go).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    ...I would guess that it would get a little creepy being the 30 year old hanging out a Chucky Cheese...no matter how much the games rocked...
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks

The only one i know of near me is at an amusement park, and it's small to begin with. Alot of the skeet ball and etc there too. Most of it's 90's lightgun games or driving stuff, but the only reason i love the place is that it has a machine for the original street fighter 2.

Thanks

I don't go to the arcade anymore. But I spent a great deal of time and money in them as I was growing up. The last time I remember going to the arcade, it was payday and I had just gotten off of work. I was making big money back then (10 years ago) so I spent the whole day playing Gauntlet Dark Legacy. I spent at least $100 that day on that game alone. I guess I got the owner's attention with my spending spree... because he came over and thanked me for spending money in his arcade.... and this was no shabby two-bit operation. It was a huge arcade that was a popular hangout for high school teens and young adults. It stayed open until 2 or 3 in the morning while serving pizza and stuff like that too.