Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how should i fix my ps3

Thanks
    EP Points

Default how should i fix my ps3

i heard about the oven method but do i need additional items for it? im just tired of having a console that doesnt work sit around and i want to get it working again so i can play it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    i heard about the oven method but do i need additional items for it? im just tired of having a console that doesnt work sit around and i want to get it working again so i can play it.
    Yeah don't do anything like that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'd rather use the oven to bake cookies, not the console, but that's just me

Perhaps you want to explain what the problem is before hearing possible ways to fix it..

Thanks
    EP Points

the problem is that my ps3 is ylod right now, i been looking in ways i can fix it without spending alot of money, and i been looking at putting it in the oven. the thing is, i dont know how to reball or do anything, and if i go to get it repaired, i might as well send it to sony because i would have to pay my friend to take me on top of getting it professionally fixed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Putting it in the oven is just going to make it worse. Sell it online as spares and repairs and buy a 12GB one and put your hard drive into it.

Thanks
    EP Points

its the rare 20 gig model that has bc. i really hate how sony releases the same system always with less features and calls it an upgrade.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    its the rare 20 gig model that has bc. i really hate how sony releases the same system always with less features and calls it an upgrade.
    I'd say fix it professionally if it's possible. I had to fix my 360 by myself because I lived in Iran, and it took me a whole week and I ended up spending more on tools that I would on repairs if it was possible.

Just my 2 cents.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

YLOD could be anything, YLOD = General Hardware failure, that could really be anything

Has it ever recovered even for a few moments since the first YLOD?

The older versions of the PS3 suffered from YLOD mostly due to thermal paste drying up

Quote Originally Posted by some guy on the official sony support forums
    I agree, the OP's thermal paste has likely dried up causing the BGA around the GPU to fracture and/or melt. Sometimes when you allow the PS3 to cool down the BGA may re-solidify in a way so the PS3 is operational again, but this may not happen.
    At this point the OP needs to have his PS3 reballed and have new thermal paste applied, to have a longer lasting repair...
    Putting a PS3 in an oven sounds like a great way to destroy it forever
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-February-2014 at 14:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

no i even put another laptop hard drive in it. i tried asking a nearby friend to borrow his ps3 hdd to see if mine would boot up but he said no that it woud format it. and since i dont have an actual pc where i can actually format the hard drive, its just sitting there in the ps3. i even took the hard drive out and still didnt boot up.

edit: the light squence is green, yellow, green then blinking red.
    Last edited by garrendesares; 13th-February-2014 at 14:04.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

YLOD could be anything

but mostly for older PS3's it was thermal paste drying up that cause that issue, see my previous post for more info

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

honestly, i am afraid to put it in the mail. not that i dont trust people, but i dont like the thought of sending my heavy ps3 in the mail.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like the oven method, melts the paste but this is just a short term fix

Watch that through fully and listen to his comments, the advice is sound and he tells you why this works, he uses a hairdryer and the cardboard box for the system, the risk of doing this is up to you though.

You should contact Sony though first and get a quote from them directly, I wouldn't trust a 3rd party repair to be honest the only real pro's for PS3 repairs are Sony, Sony will also give you instructions for packing the thing or may even arrange a pick up, not sure not had the need to contact Sony.

You are still better off replacing the paste and doing a proper fix though that will last much longer.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-February-2014 at 14:25.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

damn themal paste, I had my fat old ps3 that plays ps2 games fixed and it overheated and died about six months later. Is there a way to get better paste I could do it my self it it would last ;onger

Thanks
    EP Points

forget if i said this before, bt when it failed, it was restoring the hard drive. when i put it in the other laptop,, it said the drive was corrupt

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG236 View Post
    damn themal paste, I had my fat old ps3 that plays ps2 games fixed and it overheated and died about six months later. Is there a way to get better paste I could do it my self it it would last longer

Has a nice guide for thermal paste, the video is a bit long but has hints on what to use and how much and how to apply it to get it to last that bit longer.

lolz at the bits he complains about cheap parts & Sony, that is just Sony for you nothing really changed there.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-February-2014 at 14:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]