Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Gamng consoles better than computers? What are the differences?

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Are Gamng consoles better than computers? What are the differences?

Do you think gaming consoles are better than computer??

Post here what do you think

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Thanks
    EP Points

I like the actual consoles best, personally. For me, nothing beats the feel of putting your butt in an easy-chair and a controller in your hand, playing your games on a TV set. On the other hand, I have a friend who built an "entertainment PC" in his living room that's hooked to a big flat-panel monitor. He's installed a TV tuner card, and several retro emulators (amongst other things), and uses a USB gamepad to play, just like on a console. It's pretty freakin' cool.

Consoles provide the real vibe and feel, but a properly equipped PC has it's merits as well... like having all your games from multiple systems in one place and ready to go anytime with just a click or two. I guess what I'm saying is that it's really a matter of personal taste... and if you've got a fairly powerful PC on hand, there's really no reason to track down all those old systems to play the games (unless you're a real retro enthusiast).
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks

Its a toss up. For some who lost their old consols they're better off using the emulators. On the other hand, fiddling around with the settings can be a chore. I prefer to use roms to back track games and go consol for everything else...plus I hate the slow down time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depends on what you want.

there is no "Better" just "Better for YOU"

for me mostly Computers are better for someone who wants to pick up and play something Consoles are normally better

Thanks

I use both myself. If there is an emulator that works for a system, I use it. Especially in the case of older games that come on cartridges. I've had several games get to the point that they won't save anymore, and playing on the computer alleviates that concern. If given the option between a game that is on pc or console, I'll probably go console. Mostly because my computer isn't up to snuff to play anything from this decade. Computer gaming tends to lean more towards FPS and MMO games, so if that's your personal cup of tea then PC is probably where you want to focus. Consoles tend less towards the MMOs (at least for me) and more towards everything else. PC's can be upgraded as they age, whereas consoles can't (unless you count the standard of minor hardware updates and a price reset on the psp and ds as updgrades).

Thanks
    EP Points

Frankly, it depends on many things. In my opinion, as long as a game is good, I don't care too much whether it's on my PS3 or on my PC. (Unless of course it only appears on the Wii. Damn you Sonic Colours! ). What IS important to me is a game's genre. Shooters, for example, simply can't play as well on consoles, and the same holds true for most strategy games.

I remember the PS1 port of Red Alert. *shudder*

But yeah, on the other side of that, for some reason I find RPGs a lot more fun to play on consoles. Final Fantasy VII just wouldn't feel the same on my PC. I can't explain why, nor give a good reason for it. It's just how I feel.

Thanks

What about emulating consoles on computers? Would we count that as playing a console or a pc?

Thanks

IMO...

Consoles are great because they sometimes have a better selection of games compared to PCs (And you can hack/mod them). PCs on the other hand require upgrades to handle newer games as they come out, that turns me away from them. Even with being able to pirate games on PC, you still need to meet the requirements to play. Granted, there are some games I'd very much like to play that are only on PC, but then again there are more games which I like which are on consoles

Thanks

It's a far different experience of a game. Controllers vs. keyboard + mouse, which limit each system to it's own style of games.

The only thing that turns me away from PC gaming is the configuration to play games on high settings. Getting the right graphics card, processor, etc. and configuring all of that takes forever long, and can cost an extravagant amount of money. And if you make one mistake, it fucks everything else up. There are so many variables and hardware differences that it just seems like a bunch of never-ending work that consumes more money then it gives back in enjoyment.

In my opinion, of course. Consoles are locked, what you pay for is what you get. It's all set up for you, just pop in a game and play.

Thanks
    EP Points

The lines are becoming more muddy with each generation of console and higher end pc. Gaming consoles are becoming more adept at playing other forms of entertainment and Pcs are able to play more older games as time passes. One day we'll emulate PS3 and 360 on our pcs and one day our consoles will hold powerful o.s.es. The two will become so similar. Consoles can use a Keyboard and a mouse if programmed for and Pcs can use controllers if programmed for. The only real differences are that Pcs have the advantage of versatility and coding is easier for some while consoles have the advantage of consistancy. All wii's are so similar that there are fewer variables when coding programs for. I can buy a 360 game and not worry if my hardware is up to date. Nor do ps3 coders have to worry if drivers are up to date or worry if some video card is a different brand or model.

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

So far as control differences go, you can always use controllers on pc. If you like, the 360 controller is very nice for this, has first party support in windows, and it's the exact same controller you use on the 360, so you'll already be familiar with it. So far as I know, you can also use a usb keyboard with the ps3, and I believe you can do so on the 360 and wii as well.

Thanks

In my opinion, I would have to say consoles, for the simple reason of simplicity. For example, on my wii, (yea im a nub, get over it ) i could download countless numbers of emulated games, but it would cost money, and i would not be able to purchase Ps1 games on it, so to play ps1 games, i would have to buy a new ps1(as my ps2 reformats ps1 mem cards) but consoles are consistent, simple and the only way to screw it up is if you were modding, hacking, or trying to screw it up. On the other hand, while PCs have the ability to download emulators and games for free(piracy FTW ) its much more complicated(at least for iso games), uses much more time(two and a half hours trying to get epsxe running), and just doesnt feel right. Plus if you want to play any OTHER games i.e high end games, you need to pay at least 500$ for a good laptop/descktop or 250$+ for updates, and as mentioned above, if you screw up, you pretty well have to start all over. and THAT is my opinion.
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks

Yea but with a computer you can run the emulators and get adapters for controllers if thats your thing so i would say computers are better.

Thanks

in my opinion consoles because sittin' on a couch with a few buddy's playing local multiplayer is more fun than online to me.

Thanks

Three words: World of Warcraft