Thread: Noob burning ISOs for PS2 console

Thanks

Exclamation Noob burning ISOs for PS2 console

Hello, recently I’ve been trying to burn some PS2 game ISOs to DVD-R discs for use in my PS2. Once I get this down I hope to do the same for some of my other consoles. I’m new to this process, however, and am encountering a few problems.
    First of all, I’m using DVD Decrypter, which I understand is a good program to use for burning DVDs. I’m following all of the steps correctly, choosing the source and the drive to burn to, and writing the ISO to the blank DVD I’ve placed in the drive. I know that when it comes to this the slower the speed the better, but unfortunately the slowest speed my DVD-Rs will support is 4x. Is this speed slow enough? If not I’ll be able to buy slower speed DVD-Rs next week—I found some at Radiohack that should be able to burn at 2.4x—and I’ve been considering doing that anyway, if it proves necessary.
    Anyway, so far I haven’t been able to use the discs I’ve burned. I have verify checked, and the ISO seems to burn to the DVD (it seven ays operation completed successfully by the end), but when I place the disc in my PS2 it simply says “Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disc.”
    I’ve followed multiple tutorials online, I’ve followed all the steps and I’m pretty sure that I’m doing everything else correctly. What exactly am I doing wrong? Is it the speed?
    I know a lot of you are ISO-burning veterans, so if anyone could help me out with this I’d greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Most people (including myself) seem to use and recommend ImgBurn at 4x speed, which works beautifully.

Is your PS2 modded? If so, what method are you using? If not, you won't be able to use burnt discs until you get some sort of modification in place. Check the Playstation 2 FAQ stickied in this section for more information regarding your options.

Thanks
    EP Points

You're doing everything right in the burning department, Morbat. I use DVD Decrypter, and usually burn at speeds between 4x and 8x with no problems at all.

As Milady said, your PS2 won't boot those perfectly-burned backups until it's modded in some way; either a mod-chip, or a soft-mod like Free MemCard Boot (FMCB). I'd advise getting yourself a Swap Magic disc set... it allows you to boot backups via swapping, and also allow booting of homebrew .elf files from a USB drive (this also allows you to install FMCB, if you wish). Go here to find out where to get 'em:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd actually get someone to install FMCB on a memory card over buying Swap Magic.

People are willing to mod your memory card for free, see here:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=53558

Thanks

Oh, I see where my problem is, then. I haven't modded my PS2 so I suppose that would explain why the discs won't work.

I've PMed the guy who can help me so I'm just waiting on a reply now.
    Last edited by Morbat; 6th-January-2011 at 14:44.

Thanks

I also need help. IM using memorex dvd's qith a memorex burner and dvd decryptet. When I try to burn an Iso it says incompatible format. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSam View Post
    I also need help. IM using memorex dvd's qith a memorex burner and dvd decryptet. When I try to burn an Iso it says incompatible format. Can anyone help?
    not sure about dvd decrypt because is use poweriso to burn my ps2 games and nero everything else. but i don't recommend using memorex. my ps2 Hates them. i burned kingdom hearts 2 to a memorex, and it worked fine up until the first cutscene then it went SLOW.... and a week later i tried again and i wouldn't recognize it at all. i use sony brand now

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVDdecryptor used to be good in it's day and is still worth keeping but nowerdays ImgBurn is the best software for burning PS2 games with, if installing tell it not to replace DVDdecryptor as ImgBurn is the same project (that will let you have both versions installed) but up to date though it does lack some of the DVD protection bypassing but PS2 games do not have protection that DVDdecryptor bypassed

As far as media goes the PS2 is very picky on media and burn quality will read, but if you found something that does work for you then keep to it otherwise go for the best "Verbatim", some PS2 hardware also likes +R's beter than -R's some can't use +media at all mine runs DVD+R's fine and brand does not seem to mater so much for me personly but Verbatims do last longer and personly swear by em now though I do have a ton of games on very cheap +R media that still works perfect

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Im sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this. but What is the difference between + and - R. and i have a download that is only a .ifo and a .bup file, is it possible to get it to run on my ps2?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ifo is not a DVD image file

Next time make your own thread

Make one anyway, as you will need a little more info than what I gave you

+R = more reliable/newer media type, but won't work on all DVD player hardware
    -R = less reliable but will work with more hardware

*.ifo = IFO (stands for InFOrmation) is a type of DVD-Video file that stores information about chapters, subtitles and audio tracks.
    *.bup = The BUP file is a backup of the IFO file on a DVD

none of the above makes a DVD but is part of a DVD VIDEO structure, you require more files, also notice how small the files are
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-February-2011 at 13:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR