Thread: i have a question regarding google's internet DRM

Thanks
    EP Points

Default i have a question regarding google's internet DRM

https://news.itsfoss.com/google-controversial-tracker/

um...i was gonna ask about this yesterday but decided to put it off and it's more a question for admin... but what do you guys think about this "Web Environment Integrity" thing google has come up with which would effectively prevent people from accessing any and all websites that use it if they're not using a browser approved by the website (or more likely google themselves)?

basically, from what i understand of it, it would lock down the majority of the "surface" internet to anyone not using chrome or a chromium browser.

so, if you were to use it on EP for example, it could completely block anyone who uses firefox from accessing the website.

i think this video goes into some detail about what it is and how it'd work.

and knowing how people will never stop using google products no matter what that company does, this "web DRM" is likely to come to pass and it's only going to have a negative effect on the internet as a whole. like ALL DRM does. it only ever negatively affects the end user and leaves everyone with an inferior product. what next, will a pirated version of the internet emerge?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'd like to think plenty of sites that have roms and also torrent sites would pass on this. It would make sense that they wouldn't want this.

So majority of the internet? Maybe. But the majority of the internet is trash that I never look at
    I do have Chrome installed but for very specific reasons. Also Firefox and Opera.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

i'd like to but can't really hope so. too much of the general population use and rely on google for so much.

i would hope more for a backlash the likes of which happened to bud light but given this is google...i find that extremely unlikely to happen.

and that bud light thing isn't stopping. that fire is raging with the bud light and 7 other brands due to be sold soon. that boycott is downright miraculous with how well it's played out. i don't know if i've ever seen a boycott work that well before this one and i'm 35 now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    and that bud light thing isn't stopping. that fire is raging with the bud light and 7 other brands due to be sold soon. that boycott is downright miraculous with how well it's played out. i don't know if i've ever seen a boycott work that well before this one and i'm 35 now.
    Eh? No idea what you're talking about there.

I rarely use google anyway.
    I do have some gmail accounts though... old ones that I sometimes get reminders about adding a phone number lol nope
    Last edited by deadlegion; 11th-August-2023 at 11:56.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I have not followed this at all, don't care about the subject, don't care about beer, don't care about America. I may be entirely wrong based off hearsay and failing to remember, but the TLDR on Bud Light:
    Bud was the biggest beer brand in the USA. They advertised some gender politics ad appealing to ____ tiny demographic, a large portion of their buyers took exception to this and started buying any other brand. Sales dropped noticeably so store shelves got flooded with unsold product and it snowballed, sales have dropped something like 30%. This may bankrupt the company or something, as you'd expect from any company shipping such large volumes of liquid which needs to be preproduced and distributed at a fairly high cost, it's a fucking logistics nightmare.

Edit: I bothered to skim some news just to fact check, and Bud will be just fine, this is only a blip to a megacorp. Yes American sales have dropped something silly like 30%, but Bud's profits are up. They raised prices and exported beer, lol.
    Last edited by Ragnar; 11th-August-2023 at 15:50.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I have not followed this at all, don't care about the subject, don't care about beer, don't care about America. I may be entirely wrong based off hearsay and failing to remember, but the TLDR on Bud Light:
    Bud was the biggest beer brand in the USA. They advertised some gender politics ad appealing to ____ tiny demographic, a large portion of their buyers took exception to this and started buying any other brand. Sales dropped noticeably so store shelves got flooded with unsold product and it snowballed, sales have dropped something like 30%. This may bankrupt the company or something, as you'd expect from any company shipping such large volumes of liquid which needs to be preproduced and distributed at a fairly high cost, it's a fucking logistics nightmare.

Edit: I bothered to skim some news just to fact check, and Bud will be just fine, this is only a blip to a megacorp. Yes American sales have dropped something silly like 30%, but Bud's profits are up. They raised prices and exported beer, lol.
    yeah, that's a good summary of events. they hired this guy, Dylan, Mulvaney to promote their beer one time and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. it sparked what has become a long term boycott and dealt permanent damage to the company.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post

I rarely use google anyway.
    I do have some gmail accounts though... old ones that I sometimes get reminders about adding a phone number lol nope
    Gyp mentioned some email from screwgle about them pruning unused accounts (2+ years inactivity or something like that). I hope it's legitimate. I won't be able to clean it up and migrate anything I left to mold, but I wanted to delete the account anyway so I'll take it .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Magician View Post
    Gyp mentioned some email from screwgle about them pruning unused accounts (2+ years inactivity or something like that). I hope it's legitimate. I won't be able to clean it up and migrate anything I left to mold, but I wanted to delete the account anyway so I'll take it .
    Yeah I got that email.

I've got 2 setup in my client so they get regular login activity.
    I think there is at least another one that might get pruned though. I should maybe check that.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I still don't really get what this is.

#Zalastupid

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I still don't really get what this is.

#Zalastupid
    Screwgle is and has been trying to dominate and control what's considered "standard" for the internet. Per the article they're wanting to facilitate sucking up (more) user information and block access if you don't comply. The greater portion of the internet could probably do with burning to the ground like a lot of other things.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Browser user agent string can be switched easily, to match whatever the standard browser is no matter what Doodoogle craps out.

Edit:// Let's say Doodoogle manages to stop user agent switching by eliminating user agent strings, then the Internet breaks because the bots scraping and indexing it rely on a user agent. A user agent for a bot a browser can switch to as the epic Internet DRM bans itself.

Even a retro browser like K-Meleon can switch user agent strings as a built-in option.

Do you know who the only sane Google developer was?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Manson
    Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?
    Last edited by Till; 15th-November-2023 at 15:34. Reason: Google "veditch-waggle bagga"
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

Spoiler warning: