Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help selecting a mod chip

trelimb Guest

Default help selecting a mod chip

I just got a PSone. The model number is scph-101.
    I need help deciding what mod chip to get for it. Obviously I want to play backup copies, and foriegn backups. I have seen a few different mod chips out there and they all say the same thing, "this is the best mod chip". So, since they can't all be better than the rest, I want to know which one really is the best one to use in my PSone.
    Also, am I going to need to buy special cdroms to burn the playstation games onto. I have a stack or TDK 700mb data cdr's and I want to know what kind of performance I can expect to get with them in a modded PSone.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who provides me with helpful information

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Re: help selecting a mod chip

Originally posted by trelimb
    I just got a PSone. The model number is scph-101.
    I need help deciding what mod chip to get for it. Obviously I want to play backup copies, and foriegn backups. I have seen a few different mod chips out there and they all say the same thing, "this is the best mod chip". So, since they can't all be better than the rest, I want to know which one really is the best one to use in my PSone.
    Also, am I going to need to buy special cdroms to burn the playstation games onto. I have a stack or TDK 700mb data cdr's and I want to know what kind of performance I can expect to get with them in a modded PSone.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who provides me with helpful information
    The Chip thing I'll let someone else answer that as I don't know now.

I have my own (White) PSone chipped when the (White)PSone first came out and no you will not need any special CDR's (Note:- CDRW's will not work though)

You will however need Import Player, burned onto a CDR to play your originals and original Imports and CDR's Imports but CDR's from your country will boot fine with out Import Player most the time.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-July-2003 at 23:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

KamiNeko Guest

PSOnes are a pain to modchip. The original greyone works better I just went to the local chinatown and got it chipped there. It really doesn't matter which chip you use, most chips are close to 100% compatible anyway.

trelimb Guest

Zorlon - is this import player something I will need to buy? What is it? Is it some kind of swap disk? Are you saying that without it the only thing that will run on a chipped psone is backups of games from my country? and that to play original copies of any region I will need this import player? That seems a little shifty. what chip do you have and wich scph is your psone? (The scph number is on the bottom of your console)

kamineko - what makes the psone a pain to modchip? Do you mean that it's just harder to instal or that mod chips just don't work too well on them? Can you be more specific about what you mean?

I was looking at the absolute stealth modchip http://www.psxtune.com/produktee.html the link goes to where I saw it. Does anyone have experiance with this or any of the other chips in a psone scph-101. Is there anyone out there with the psone scph-101 chipped and what has your experiance with the chip been? as in what does it let you do and what limitations does it have?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Zorlon - is this import player something I will need to buy?

NO

What is it?

A Boot CD

Is it some kind of swap disk?

YES

Are you saying that without it the only thing that will run on a chipped psone is backups of games from my country?

YES

and that to play original copies of any region I will need this import player?

YES

That seems a little shifty. what chip do you have and wich scph is your psone? (The scph number is on the bottom of your console)

SCPH102 - The later versions will have more protection (Couldn't tell you what chip it is long time since I had mine chipped but if I see the method I will let you know)

kamineko - what makes the psone a pain to modchip? Do you mean that it's just harder to instal or that mod chips just don't work too well on them? Can you be more specific about what you mean?

1. Not a lot of space to work in
    2. the screws are a pain to remove and get back in
    3. Yeah swopping is a pain (I tend to try and patch the games so they boot with my Country code and my original get played either on my (Gray) PSX (Not chipped but I do have the Action Replay 3.2 I can play 1CD backups with) or my PS2)

I was looking at the absolute stealth modchip http://www.psxtune.com/produktee.html the link goes to where I saw it. Does anyone have experiance with this or any of the other chips in a psone scph-101. Is there anyone out there with the psone scph-101 chipped and what has your experiance with the chip been? as in what does it let you do and what limitations does it have?

Sounds good but I would get Import Player aswell just incase P.S. post that Q. again so ppl don't have to read through your long post
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2003 at 00:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

trelimb Guest

Ok, so where do I get this boot cd? I thought burned boot cd's wouldn't wouldn't work. Which psone was manufactured first? scph-101 or scph-102?
    Was the scph-101 model made before or after 1997?
    I am almost positive I know the answer to the last question but I want to make sure since I didn't pick this up off the shelf new.

By the way I really appreaciate you helping me and being thorough.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SCPH-101 I presume not that it makes a diff anyway those chips will work on Models any SCPH-10X X being all

I will just find a link for ya for Import Player

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.megagames.com/psx/psx_utils_bootcd.shtml

They have Import Player on the above linked page
    Use the light version if you want to there is not that much difference anyway and has a few bugs fixed in it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2003 at 00:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

trelimb Guest

Ok, so were then 101 and 102 models made after 1997?
    Are you saying that in your modded PSone, you use a burned copy of this import disk?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Both after I think

The date that mod chip sites talk about are more for the Gray PSX so just don't use a site that does not talk about PSone's

YES how many times you asked that LOL
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2003 at 01:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

trelimb Guest

Yeah, I know, I only ask so many times because It just seems so strange. I read that if your backups work but originals don't work anymore that one of the wires of your chip is attached wrong. I am wondering if that applies to PSone and if that is your problem? Check it out here http://www.psxtune.com/faqe.html#1a maybe you can fix yours so you don't have to swap anymore. Let me know what you think after you read that faq.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OK Thanks dude this is one of those rare ocations me thinks when the helped is being helpfull.

I will be checking that out later.

Hmm the site isn't realy clear on if they are talking about the PSX or a PSone it just seems they just added the PSone to there site at a later date but didn't bother updating the help information.

I would say be very carefull when chipping your PSone I know they have a pic of the wire locations for the chip but it the FAQ's are not realy stated as being for PSX or PSone.

If and when you do chip your PSone though let me know how it goes.

I will check on my PSone sometime aswell but I will need to dig out my trusty PSone aswell anyway.

OK all your Q's out the way but you still need more info but hey they have an E-Mail address to write to, so I would say see what they say about chipping the PSone

Ask making sure you say you want to chip your "white" PSone chipped and if it will play CDR Import backups and Original Imports aswell as CDR Backups of my own country games and Originals of my own county games without the aid of a boot disc or import player or other swop trick or method?

Also say in the E-Mail that many have mentioned that they need to use something called Import Player to play there Original's and Import Originals/Backups and if you need this with there chip?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-July-2003 at 14:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

trelimb Guest

http://www.modchip.ca/products/ps/stealth.php
    Right now I am contemplating this one. Check it out tell me what you think. Is there anyone out there using this one on a small white PSOne scph- 101 (like mine)?
    The thing that cought my attention is that they say the chip works the same in all models and in the instructions section they specifically mention the 101. The pictures are really clear too so I won't solder to the wrong thing because I saw it wrong or something stupid like that. This might be the one for me.

Thanks

I have a us psx (gray models) SCPH-9001 or something and it has a chip called the multi modchip which i think is supposed to work as an import player, normal and stealh modchip all in one, it plays us backups just fine and it also runs imports ok the only problem is that the import games (PAL only) have screwed up colors (Red looks like brown, Green looks like yellow, etc.).

One of my friends told me about some sort of procedure called the color correction, but unfortunately i don't know this procedure, my question is if anyone would be willing to give me instructions for this procedure, I'll give them a flat 5 star rating in return, thanks in advanced...
    Sometimes... life just slaps you right in the face with an anecdote... and once you realize it you don't know if you should laugh or cry...

Thanks

hey here is the instalation guide for the modchips:

http://www.modchip.it/%5CEN%5Cinstruction.asp

Edit: Looks like i'm going to have to vote for myself cause i found the color correction on the site.
    Last edited by StateS; 3rd-July-2003 at 20:51.
    Sometimes... life just slaps you right in the face with an anecdote... and once you realize it you don't know if you should laugh or cry...