Thread: Nes Emulator controller 2 controlling 1 but not 2

Thanks

Default Nes Emulator controller 2 controlling 1 but not 2

After installing Jnes 1.0 I plugged in a USB port adapter that gives extra ports while plugged into one port on my laptop. I selected options after opening Jnes and proceeded to configure player one by selecting the player one tab and choosing the title of one of my gamepads in the selection box, i made sure joypad bubble was highlighted on the right too and clicked ok. Afterwards i selected player 2 tab and did the same thing only i selected a different game pad (one i wanted to control player two with) and clicked ok. For every game i play (the first being contra) i couldn't choose to play as 2 players and instead when i started the game for one player, both controllers were able to control player one. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem I have would be appreciated. I am running windows 10

I forgot to include that I am using Jnes 1.0 I downloaded a second Contra rom file for the nes to see if that was the problem. I tried 2 other emulators (virtual nes and mynes2.3). My processor is intel core i3 cpu m330 @ 2.15GHz with 4.0 GB 32-bit operating system, x64 processor. I have tried only using one or the other controller at once and each controller can enter its commands in the controller input tab in the emulator as well as be identified when either one is missing in the devices selection box.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-June-2016 at 15:25.

Thanks
    EP Points

Switch out Controller 2 for Port 1, and switch out Controller 1 for Port 2, and see where that goes.
    SIG REMOVED - READ THE RULES

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Make sure both pads are recognised separately, before running an emulator

You can use something like Joy2keys http://joytokey.net/en/ and test in notepad just setup one pad to start with (while both are plugged in and operating) and make sure Pad 1 is working with the keys you binded, then test Pad 2 and make sure it does not produce the bindings from Pad 1

If they both end up using the same bindings then both pads are using the same output ID, that would explain why it is seeing both pads as Pad1 even though you setup player 2

If they Pad 2 does nothing when Pad 1 has keys binded while Pad 2 has no bindings, then bind different keys to Pad2 then do some more Notepad testing

If all goes well and both pads have different keys binded then you can use a NES emulator setup to keys for both players as the Pads when bined with Joy2keys will act like you are using a keyboard, just without the limit of only being able to use 3 or 4 keys at once whatever the keyboard limit normally is does not apply to keys setup via joy2keys to a control pad or more

You can either have one pad binding to keys or both just as long as they work independent of each other

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I alternated one controller for another USB port and vice versa. I even tried switching between using my multi-USB port adapter and using different ports on that one too and still the same thing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Make sure both pads are recognised separately, before running an emulator

You can use something like Joy2keys http://joytokey.net/en/ and test in notepad just setup one pad to start with (while both are plugged in and operating) and make sure Pad 1 is working with the keys you binded, then test Pad 2 and make sure it does not produce the bindings from Pad 1

If they both end up using the same bindings then both pads are using the same output ID, that would explain why it is seeing both pads as Pad1 even though you setup player 2

If they Pad 2 does nothing when Pad 1 has keys binded while Pad 2 has no bindings, then bind different keys to Pad2 then do some more Notepad testing

If all goes well and both pads have different keys binded then you can use a NES emulator setup to keys for both players as the Pads when bined with Joy2keys will act like you are using a keyboard, just without the limit of only being able to use 3 or 4 keys at once whatever the keyboard limit normally is does not apply to keys setup via joy2keys to a control pad or more

You can either have one pad binding to keys or both just as long as they work independent of each other
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by binded and I'm not sure where to identify the output ID but i did run JoyToKey with both controllers plugged in. While pressing each button and one controller, the corresponding button text would highlight for its given tab. I'd press left on the control pad controller and the left arrow under joystick one tab would highlight. When I did the same with a second controller, the same thing would happen but on the joystick 2 tab. I still tried an NES game and the same result occured. The game didn't give me the option to select 2 players and controller 2 could control player one and player one could control player one, (I.E. i could jump using controller 2 and fire using controller 1).

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-June-2016 at 06:27. Reason: merged posts