Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higan (BSNES) Emulator Problem

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Higan (BSNES) Emulator Problem

Hi people, I have a problem with Higan (BSNES) Emulator
    I have a problem with Micro-Stuttering, if you know what I mean.
    The game is working smooth but after some time it starts stutters for some little time after that the game is again smooth and it repeats like that.
    But when the game stutters, the emulator is still running at 60 FPS.
    I fixed the micro-stuttering when I checked the Synchronize Video in the Emulator but after that it starts to lag after some time.
    The game is smooth without Micro-Stuttering but after some time it drops to 56-57 FPS and it lags after that is working smooth again and it repeats like that.
    I don´t know what to do.
    Can you please help me with this ?
    Thank you very much for answer in advance

My computer is -
    Nvidia Geforce GT 230 4GB
    Intel Xeon E5450 3.00GHz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS2 Chipped w/Matrix Infinity 1.99
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thats BSNES in a nutshell, if Mednafen team can make a accurate PSX emulator and not have it cook your CPU so can Byuu.

I suggest you try BSNES Mercury or just straight up SNES9x.

This may interest you - http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=12053

Its the GUI of ZSNES that uses the 32 bit Libretro/Retroarch SNES cores.

You can get the latest 32 bit core of BSNES Mercury/SNES9x/CatSFC and use it with that.

Alcaro did a good job on it.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

OMG! Thanks it´s working without Micro-Stuttering or Stuttering.
    But the Sound is crackling.
    How to fix that ?
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by seznam88 View Post
    OMG! Thanks it´s working without Micro-Stuttering or Stuttering.
    But the Sound is crackling.
    How to fix that ?
    Alcaro is still working on the crackling issue sadly , it was a miracle he was able to rip the ZSNES GUI and apply it to libretro cores.

Have you tried Retroarch?

It has all the BSNES/BSNES Mercury cores - Accuracy - Balanced - Performance.

If you need a run me down for it il help you get it set up, there is no crackling with RA and the performance is exceptional.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

So I tried Retroarch but I can´t get the game work.
    It always show me Retroarch Stopped Working when I start the game using Select File and Detect Core.
    I click on that, find the game, select BSNES Mercury Balanced Core and after that Retroarch Stopped Working.
    When I click on Load Core and click on one of the cores, it doesn´t load the core and on the bottom of the screen is No Core so when I tried Select File only after that, it doesn´t show me any ROM.
    So I don´t know how can I even start the game.
    Can you please help me ?
    Thank you very much in advance
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So I tried Retroarch but I can´t get the game work.
    It always show me Retroarch Stopped Working when I start the game using Select File and Detect Core.
    I click on that, find the game, select BSNES Mercury Balanced Core and after that Retroarch Stopped Working.
    When I click on Load Core and click on one of the cores, it doesn´t load the core and on the bottom of the screen is No Core so when I tried Select File only after that, it doesn´t show me any ROM.
    So I don´t know how can I even start the game.
    Can you please help me ?
    Thank you very much in advance
    Are you using the latest nightly build? if not use it instead of the stable.

You are on windows 64 right?

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/

I THINK this is the one you want http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...4/RetroArch.7z not sure since I did it the hard way.

Online updater>get the desired cores>load the core>load content>select file>find your rom>load it>it should then run.

BSNES/Mercury Performance will run everything but Megaman X 2 and 3, if ya want to run those just use SNES9x or if ya have a government grade supercomputer user Balanced or Accuracy.

F1 toggles the GUI, F toggles fullscreen.

You may want to go to Settings and customize RA to your liking/Optimize it, can even change the background.

If you still have trouble I wouldn't mind helping you via Teamviewer portable, I helped another member recently get set up that way and now its virtually all he uses is Retroarch.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok so I was able to finally start the game
    But I got Micro-Stuttering again
    The FPS of the emulator are still 60.2 FPS but the game stutter every 2-3 seconds.
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok so I was able to finally start the game
    But I got Micro-Stuttering again
    The FPS of the emulator are still 60.2 FPS but the game stutter every 2-3 seconds.
    Well my only guess is your CPU is inadequate.

Why not just use SNES9x?

BTW what game/s are you attempting to run?

Thanks
    EP Points

My CPU is - Intel Xeon E5450 Quad Core 3.00 GHz
    I guess it´s enough, but I don´t know.

I was using SNES9x but I found out that it has lot of problems with games for example with Doom that has colored dots on screen or I found out on official SNES9x forums that Super Punch out is Unbeatable on it because it freeze on one stage so I was searching for different emulator and I found out BSNES/Higan that supports all of the SNES games without problems.

If you playing on Balanced, all of the games work except A.S.P. but A.S.P. is working without problem on Accuracy and I tried it and it´s true and the emulator it´s on 60 FPS as well without lags even on Accuracy on my computer, there´s only that Micro Stuttering.
    Also I have this Micro Stuttering problem on ePSXe emulator with OpenGL2 plugin when I try to play with 1680x1050 resolution.
    Same Xebra but not with all of the games but for example one of the games that did it for me is Mortal Kombat 4.
    But it´s always only a Micro Stuttering the game itself doesn´t lag and if you look at emulation speed, it is still on 60 FPS without hiccup.

I´m attempting to run - Contra III: The Alien Wars and Donkey Kong Country.
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?t..._Compatibility

Seems Super Punch Out is fine.

Regarding the stuttering it seems you are just pushing the CPU, lower the resolution.

If you want accurate PSX emulation use the mednafen psx core in Retroarch, it runs almost all PSX games perfectly.

Mednafen is CPU dependent but it should not act like BSNES, I can use mednafen psx just fine and its not putting a huge load on the CPU.

Thanks
    EP Points

As I now thinking more about that Micro Stuttering, I remembered that it happens to me as well on VisualBoyAdvance emulator when playing Super Mario Land for Classic Gameboy.

I guess my computer really likes the Micro Stuttering

I was also reading about the Micro Stuttering on the internet and it happens for normal games as well not only for the emulators and I found out that it happens for lot of people on Intel CPUs because of the Hyper-Threading - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading and that you can solve it with disabling it via BIOS but when I look at the BIOS I don´t find anything about Hyper-Threading so I can´t disable it. Maybe it´s because of my motherboard ? I don´t know but it´s happening for different people as well with Intel CPUs at least, on normal games as well and as you know I doesn´t have the Micro Stuttering already on the ZMZ emulator you recommended to me and you know that the ZMZ is using the BSNES core like Retroarch so I guess there´s different problem because it should happend on ZMZ as well if it was because of lack of power of my CPU.

Also I thought if it doesn´t have something with the Hz/Refresh Rate of the Monitor/Resolution as well ?
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't think your refresh rate is gonna really change much.

Did you buy your PC premade? if so contact them and complain for a answer.

I'm using a junk intel chipset laptop yet I don't have any micro stuttering, the bios menu is really lacking in choices.

BTW ZMZ is not a emu, just a GUI for the 32 bit SNES libretro cores.

ZMZ is just the ZSNES GUI eviscerated and modified.

Thanks
    EP Points

No, I don´t have premade PC.

About that ZMZ, it can be only ZSNES GUI using libretro cores but I don´t get any Micro Stuttering on ZMZ using BSNES-Mercury Balanced Core.

How´s that possible ?
    My Consoles:
    PS1 Chipped
    PS3 CFW Rogero 4.55
    PSP CFW 6.60 Pro-B 10
    Xbox Softmodded
    Xbox 360 RGH
    WII Softmodded

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No, I don´t have premade PC.

About that ZMZ, it can be only ZSNES GUI using libretro cores but I don´t get any Micro Stuttering on ZMZ using BSNES-Mercury Balanced Core.

How´s that possible ?
    Alcaro optimized it?

Not sure what else he could have done, he kinda abandoned it but another coder picked it up.

So far I just suggest you use the SNES9x core , vanilla or through Retroarch.

If you want to play doom you can run a WAD through the PrBoom core or use medafen psx for the PSX version, either way its fun and a million times better than the horrible SNES/etc. ports.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Direct Ports of Doom like PrBoom are the best way to go not only do you get to play all the mods but you also gain extra features that had not been in the original ports, some are rather pointless like jump and free look but there are other nice touches like lighting effects ect that add to the mood of the game (Don't remember if PRBoom has the features I describe though)

The PSX port was good for it's time though also with a few minor improvements but still lacks Wad support so the tons of mods done still can't be played

SNES Doom was just awful played it on the real thing (An actual SNES console) hard as hell to control so it is a challenging port if you can call that a good thing the graphics are awfully low, but that is expected the big issue was not just slow downs or the bad controls though that you can get used to but it's more getting stuck on walls when you need to run to a triggered door that the real issue becomes aparrent

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR