Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable Gameboy Cartridge

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default [GUIDE] Make a Reprogrammable Gameboy Cartridge

Tutorial nearly finished! All of my pictures are uploaded and sorted, but the instruction is still sparse.

Parts required:
    [1] EPROM programmer
    [2] 3.8mm Gamebit
    [3] Soldering iron
    [4] 49f040 or similar Flash Chip - PLCC style
    [5] ROM image
    [6] 30 Gauge wire
    [7] 47K Ohm Resistor (10K Ohm and up should work)
    [8] Donor Cartridge

Info: Use a 512KB (4Mbit) flash eeprom to in place of the original mask ROM. Can be flashed (and has been below) prior to soldering or can be flashed via the Audio IN pin (pin 31 gameboy side) with all older cartridge flashers or the newer BleepBloop flashers.
    My tutorial uses the MBC1 mapper chip which allows for the gameboy to address data, so it can only hold up to 512KBs. With newer Mapper chips such as the MBC5 found in nearly all GBC carts, you can write up to 4MBs (32Mbits) given you purchase the appropriate eeprom. I will cover one later on.
    The reason the 29F040 or 49F040 chip is used is becuase most of the pins are exactly lined up with the original gameboy mask ROMs.
    The cartridge in the below example does not have a save battery, so cannot retain saves after the gameboy has been turned off. To keep save files, locate a cartridge with a battery backed SRAM chip specified by the coin battery on the PCB.

The flashing software "DGB MAX" can create a multi-ROM images so that you may have multiple ROMs on the same cartridge.

Note: this is nearly the exact method to make a reprogrammable cartridge for the Sega Game Gear, which may be written up at a later time.

Step 1.
    Program your Flash chip:
    Place the chip in your programmer and always check for empty before programming.
    If it is used, erase it.
    Once empty, load your rom file and press program.

Step 2.
    Prepare the chip:
    For the chip to comfortable fit on the board and for the shell to close, you will have to bend and cut the pins. This is a difficult process and too many bends will break off the pins. First, bend the top and bottom pins straight out using a razor and needle nose pliers. Then, bend the side pins up only partially and then straighten them with your pliers. Next, bend the same pins against the chip and out, as shown in the picture below. Cutting them at an angle like in the photo may also help.

Step 3.
    Locate a donor cartridge.
    If you want to put a game that saves on it, then you need to find a donor cartridge with a save battery. 49f040 flash chips can only hold ROMs up to 512KBs, so keep that in mind.

Step 4.
    Cartridge PCB revealed:
    Open the cartridge with your 3.8mm gamebit.

Step 5.
    Donor Cart prepared:
    Carefully remove the Mask ROM by cutting the pins with a razor. Position the razor 90 degrees next the board or straight down toward the board on a flat surface. Do not try to cut the pins up from the board. Once the chip is loose, slide your soldering iron across the board to smooth out the pads you cut from and to remove bits of the pins that were left behind. Do not remove the chip labeled MBCx, where x is a number from 1 through 5.

Step 6.
    Wires Placed:
    Now, place the wires to the pads that do not make direct contact with the flash chip.

Step 7.
    Flash ROM Placed:
    Line up the Flash Rom as carefully as possible. The chip will not be perfectly straight becuase of the pin placement, so before soldering, check it again!

Step 8.
    Wires Attached:
    Now, curl the wires toward the chip and attach them one-by-one to their appropriate locations. Refer to the schematic at the bottom of the post. You will notice a pattern for the bottom and top right, but the top left corner is different. Careful!

Step 9a.
    47K Ohm Resistor:
    The last step is to attach the 47K Ohm resistor. Refer to the schematic.

Step 9b.
    Optional programming Line:
    If you would like to reprogram the chip or do not own a conventional programmer, you can attach a wire to pin 31 at the bottom of the cartridge and attach it to the WE pin of the flash chip.

Two Carts Tested:

Charmander approves:

Schematic Credits go to Reiner Zeigler:
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 14th-April-2015 at 16:17.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have built several gameboy programmer boards which were designed by a few Finiish guys.

Here is my build log:
    http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.c...ssembly-1.html

And the useage:
    http://jazz-disassemblies.blogspot.c...mer-board.html

Refer to this page to design your own or for original creator's info:
    http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 3rd-November-2013 at 19:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Ain't you just adorable. Not even one date and your asking about my penis.
    The good ting about this mod in comparison to my guide for sega genesis/megadrive is that these flash chips are a load cheaper. I got 10 for $10 including shipping.
    I'm too classy to be seen outside with you

the soldering can make this hard.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A load more pictures included! All that is left is to add instructions.

Thanks
    EP Points

WOW, you're Amazing! I just need to tweak it a little to have it reprogrammable via USB instead of pin #31... Do you think this can be done with a N64 cartridge? You know where I could find some info on this?
    Darn username I in 2008... Stuck with it until Sony decides to allow us to change usernames...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SsJVasto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SsJVasto View Post
    WOW, you're Amazing! I just need to tweak it a little to have it reprogrammable via USB instead of pin #31... Do you think this can be done with a N64 cartridge? You know where I could find some info on this?
    USB is not impossible. The adapter you make which programs it along pin 31 can easily be hooked up to USB, like so:
    Picture / Insturctions
    That whole adapter may be built inside of the cartridge, believe it or not, with a surface mount ATMEGA controller. This task is hugely difficult though!
    On that same site, Reiner Ziegler has written up a program and cable schematic to program the carts via the link port on the side of the gameboy. He stopped supporting the program before making it compatible with larger chips, but the 49f040 should be supported!

N64 carts actually have a second IC that performs a sort of Check sum on the data on the Mask ROM. Since you replace the mask ROM, the check will fail and the cartridge will never load. Maybe it can be done, but will probably be a lot more work...You are better off buying a commercially produced Flash cartridge.

Thanks for the interest and support!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Re-opened

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Building a USB programmer for the second chapter in this tutorial. Some of you may have seen my cardboard version.
    News will come shortly.

Thanks

Does this flash cartridge mod works on gameboy color carts?

Regards

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes, because the carts are honestly the same. Color carts simply had more data in the attribute tables stored on ROM. They still (mostly) used the MBC5 mapper chip which was created for use on the original gameboy. The only thing that differs between a gameboy and a gameboy-color game is a single byte within the ROM header.

One thing that you will have to worry about is ROM capacity, since so many color games were larger than 4Mbits. Another thing you have to worry about is that many color games that I have looked into contain IC's that have a trace pitch smaller than 0.5mm. I don't think that I could even solder that by hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

lol your skills are sick Jazzmarazz these all hacked/homebrew gameboy games i have i cant wait team up with you http://www.vizzed.com/playonlinegame...=gb#searchjump
    Last edited by killapinke; 7th-December-2014 at 06:33.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will reupload the images when I get a chance. There were...so many. Dammit ImgShack.

Thanks

is cutting a hole in the cartridge necessary or was that just to show?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gamemaster76 View Post
    is cutting a hole in the cartridge necessary or was that just to show?
    I didn't cut any holes. Its only going to be necessary for installing a socket.

Thanks

anyway to just post all the images into one post and just put them in order that would have appeared?