Thread: How come a certain ps2 iso works in pcsx2 but not on ps2 (OPL) ?

Thanks

Red face How come a certain ps2 iso works in pcsx2 but not on ps2 (OPL) ?

As title says, I tried loading the game with pcsx2 and it works fine, but when I try to convert it with USBUtil ("Create GAME from ISO" function, no matter if I set the destination to the current drive or the memory stick) it gives me this:
    tf112.jpg
    btw the game is Street Fighter EX3 PAL, it's an ISO file and when I open with my default ISO mounter the files are all there (also tried IsoBuster to check them, they're there), but as an archive they don't show up (if open with any archive software I got: 7zip, Peazip and Winrar). I know it's below 4GB size so it's not mandatory, but usually USBUtil renames the files correctly and builds an "ad hoc" file together with editing ul.cfg (it also worked with another CD ISO, that's why I use it).

Should I rebuild the ISO, like raw extraction of all files and with a particular tool ( I think I have it but I don't know how to use it properly) ?
    Last edited by barleyman; 3rd-July-2021 at 03:10.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

It's a CD based PS2 game. If you're using iso then it has been converted to DVD.
    I don't now about OPL compatibility for CD to DVD conversions, but some conversions don't even work burned to DVD.
    Can OPL run PS2 CD bin/cue?

CD ISO should be avoided for PS1 & 2 btw.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 3rd-July-2021 at 09:50.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    If you're using iso then it has been converted to DVD.
    I don't now about OPL compatibility for CD to DVD conversions, but some conversions don't even work burned to DVD.
    Can OPL run PS2 CD bin/cue?

CD ISO should be avoided for PS1 & 2 btw.
    It actually worked with many CD iso's before (The Sims, Bloody Roar 3, others..). USBUtil can manage both (usually it goes with "Auto" setting pretty fine), it just doesn't see the archive as readable (but pcsx2 reads it well). So I probably need to re-build the ISO (no, I won't download another ISO, I want to restore and use this one). About BIN/CUE, I used to mount a BIN/CUE on a virtual drive then rip it into ISO (with Burnaware) to make USBUtil read it... but this trick didn't work on this ISO, I don't know why.

Does anybody know which tool and how to use it in order to rebuild an ISO ? Thank you.
    Last edited by barleyman; 3rd-July-2021 at 17:40.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

As I already asked; can OPL read PS2 CD bin/cue?

It doesn't matter if some CD ISO work, converting CD to ISO is breaking games. Those games should be in bin/cue format, for both PS1 & 2.

CD to DVD conversions don't all work either, that's for burned DVD.

Edit:
    Did some reading myself, OPL won't play bin/cue. So...

USBUtil only needs to be used for games over 4GB.
    Games smaller than that can go in relevant folders (CD for CD based games).
    Get original bin/cue and convert to ISO using either BIN2ISO or OPL Manager.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 3rd-July-2021 at 18:07.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    As I already asked; can OPL read PS2 CD bin/cue?

It doesn't matter if some CD ISO work, converting CD to ISO is breaking games. Those games should be in bin/cue format, for both PS1 & 2.

CD to DVD conversions don't all work either, that's for burned DVD.

Edit:
    Did some reading myself, OPL won't play bin/cue. So...

USBUtil only needs to be used for games over 4GB.
    Games smaller than that can go in relevant folders (CD for CD based games).
    Get original bin/cue and convert to ISO using either BIN2ISO or OPL Manager.
    Please read my previous comment again, it has the answer you seem to have ignored about CUE, and USBUtil conversion.
    I also tried putting the bin and cue files into CD folder, it didn't work, so again:

Is there anybody (else) who knows how to rebuild an ISO by starting from raw files ?
    Possibly somebody who has experienced the same issue or knows what to do, thanks
    Last edited by barleyman; 3rd-July-2021 at 22:47.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by barleyman View Post
    (also tried IsoBuster to check them, they're there)
    You should try recovering and extracting the raw data with IsoBuster [1] then using the raw data to create a proper BIN/Cue [2].

[1] https://www.isobuster.com/help/extraction_options

[2] https://www.isobuster.com/help/conve...e_file_formats

Possibly somebody who has experienced the same issue or knows what to do, thanks
    I've had the same issue with PS2 ISOs only working on emulator. Is it a 1:1 copy of the original? Some ISOs are hacked to optimize them for emulation on PCSX2 and will not work properly on a real PS2. Namely because many ISOs are rips and not 1:1 copies of the original.

i.e. https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3419

In your case it's probably not a rip and you might want to post this question on the developer site because ultimately it's a software issue:
    https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5962
    Last edited by Till; 5th-July-2021 at 04:54. Reason: quoted OP...
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks

thanks, in the end I just gave up on the iso I got (I don't know if the "unecm" corrupted it or if it wasn't a 1:1 copy/redump) and got a new redump just to be sure (BIN/CUE format), I converted it in ISO format with MagicISO and put them into CD folder. it worked... thanks all

btw, why the hell USBUtil doesn't support BIN / CUE , ok it's a wonderful program but it gave me " I/O Error 131" when I tried converting the ISO to GAME. My play room is downstairs, lol, I made so much stepping, going up and down for all the retries I did, I burnt all my breakfast calories, lol
    Last edited by barleyman; 5th-July-2021 at 14:07.