Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible data breach?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Users(especially admins) changing passwords regularly is standard 'best practices' to thwart unknown breaches(which I'm sure the admins here are aware of since password changes for everyone regularly is standard practice), data breaches in message boards are inevitable; not just in vBulletin. There is no cause for alarm, it's better to know about a breach to be on the lookout for future ones than to assume there has never been a breach with a false sense of security.
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks
    EP Points

One thing I suggest is to make it unable for people to reuse their old passwords during these forced yearly/bi-yearly changes, iirc you can just enter your old one and it gets accepted as new.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just checked my password, It was in KeePass and 30 characters long.

Quote Originally Posted by Return of Dill View Post
    Users(especially admins) changing passwords regularly is standard 'best practices' to thwart unknown breaches(which I'm sure the admins here are aware of since password changes for everyone regularly is standard practice)
    The industry is slowly changing their viewpoint on this.
    It's much better to just have one difficult-to-crack password, instead of constantly changing it.
    The reason is because of people simply tacking a '1' to their old password, or forgetting them altogether.
    And if one's using a password manager with sufficiently strong password generator, any chance of getting a password cracked is close to 0. And even if an adversary does manages to crack it, it's only useful for one site.

Otherwise a valid alternative is two factor authentication.

Source
    http://people.scs.carleton.ca/~paulv...authorcopy.pdf
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 10th-June-2019 at 18:58. Reason: merged posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ecko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ecko View Post
    The industry is slowly changing their viewpoint on this.
    It's much better to just have one difficult-to-crack password, instead of constantly changing it.
    The reason is because of people simply tacking a '1' to their old password, or forgetting them altogether.
    And if one's using a password manager with sufficiently strong password generator, any chance of getting a password cracked is close to 0. And even if an adversary does manages to crack it, it's only useful for one site.

Otherwise a valid alternative is two factor authentication.

Source
    http://people.scs.carleton.ca/~paulv...authorcopy.pdf
    I meant to change hard to crack passwords in case there is an existing unknown breach. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Free beer for everyone! --> How to upload files as ROM patches.

reductio ad absurdum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WorkNoFun View Post
    One thing I suggest is to make it unable for people to reuse their old passwords during these forced yearly/bi-yearly changes, iirc you can just enter your old one and it gets accepted as new.
    That would require holding onto hashes of old passwords. Probably not the brightest idea in the event of a data breach.

Thanks
    EP Points

There was a public announcement on the forums that was visible for several months. This is what it said in general:

Recently our forum suffered a data breach. Our preliminary investigation reveals that user data may have been compromised. This includes email addresses, encrypted passwords, and profile information. We have taken immediate security measures to prevent such breaches in the future.

In addition, we have reset all user passwords because of this incident. Please note that if you used the same password on EPForums and on another site in combination with your username or email address, we strongly recommend that you change your passwords on the other websites immediately.
    The announcement expired after a few months that's why it's no longer visible. We had taken action back then and it seems like the news reports are trying to make it look like we hid it from our users or something. We had a full security audit back then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ View Post
    There was a public announcement on the forums that was visible for several months.
    You're telling me there is no surviving copy of this public announcement on the internet?

https://www.google.com/search?q="Rec...+compromised."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Google

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by iambreakingthelaw View Post
    You're telling me there is no surviving copy of this public announcement on the internet?

I'm sure you can find something with some internet cache. But vBulletin announcements expire. That's why you don't see anything here.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by iambreakingthelaw View Post

It's not our responsibility to ensure that announcements are cached by 3rd party services. If you look at this archive.org cache from July 2018, you'll see the message at the top talks about a data breach and links to an announcement:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180708....epforums.org/

vBulletin expires announcements automatically and maybe has settings to prevent caching by services, I really don't know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ View Post
    There was a public announcement on the forums that was visible for several months. This is what it said in general:

The announcement expired after a few months that's why it's no longer visible. We had taken action back then and it seems like the news reports are trying to make it look like we hid it from our users or something. We had a full security audit back then.
    I stand corrected, I went to our internal discussion on the matter and I've checked the panel to find out the original announcement, available from April 28th to July 1st 2018, is still there. It read as follows:

Recently our forum suffered a data breach. Our preliminary investigation reveals that user data may have been compromised. This includes email addresses, encrypted passwords, and profile information. We have taken immediate security measures to prevent such breaches in the future.

In addition, we have reset all user passwords because of this incident. Please note that if you used the same password on EPForums and on another site in combination with your username or email address, we strongly recommend that you change your passwords on the other websites immediately.

To re-gain access to your account you will have to go through the Reset Password procedure. The instructions to reset your password are below:

Navigate to the password reset page
    Enter your email address, this is the email address you signed up with for your EPForums/EmuParadise account
    You will receive an email with a password reset link
    Once you click the link you will receive an email with your new password
    Login to EPForums with your new password
    You should then update your password. Please choose a strong and unique password to safeguard your account.

If you have trouble with any of the steps outlined above, please email [email protected]. We will be happy to assist you.
    As I already said, old news.