Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with the Devil by the Pale Moonlight (Drageuth plays Batman)*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Dancing with the Devil by the Pale Moonlight (Drageuth plays Batman)*

Alright. It's been a while since I made an LP, so I tossed a quick one together from one of my favourite NES games.

Batman (1989). Great game, and difficult as fuck once you get the final levels. Still, lots of fun, and just oozing with nostalgia. Also, there should be fair warning: I swear a lot in this game, especially in Level 5. As in, in at least two very notable parts, I kind of scream "FUCK!" out of frustration, and it is kind of loud. So... you have been warned.

1. Stage 1: Gotham City
      • Main Street
      • High-Rise Buildings
      • Front of City Hall
      • Boss Battle: Killer Moth
    2. AXIS Chemical Factory
      • Liquid Waste Floor
      • Spark Floor
      • Conveyer-Belt Floor
      • Nerve Center
      • Boss Battle: Machine Intelligence System
    3. Underground Conduit
      • Underground Conduit I
      • Underground Conduit II
      • Underground Cavern
      • Boss Battle: Electrocutioner
    4. Ruins of Laboratory
      • Research Laboratory
      • Storage Room
      • Thermal Processing Plant
      • Boss Battle: Dual Container Alarm
    5. Cathedral
      • Stairway
      • Belltower
      • Boss Battle: Firebug
      • Boss Battle: The Joker

Gotham City & AXIS Chemical Factory

Underground Conduit

Ruins of Laboratory

Cathedral

Enjoy?

So since I did this LP, I've been playing this game a lot on the console. And I managed to finish one of my no death speedruns.
    Total time, from first movement to the first frame of The Joker's death, was 16:09.002.
    I can definitely improve on that time, but I'll have to attempt it later.

I got bored last night and attempted (and recorded) another no death run. Beat my old time by 40 seconds.

For those that care:

March 12

I've figured out a couple of new tricks in this run for getting through some of the levels faster -- mainly no-clipping a couple of enemies and dodging a lot more, as well as utilizing my weapons a bit more. However, this incorporates a lot more luck when it comes to item drops, which means a lot more runs fail because I run out of weapons, or take silly hits because I don't pull off the strategies perfectly.

Also, those jumping guys in Levels 3 & 4 can just straight up suck my dick. I hate them.

I also took a death on Firebug in this run because I entered the boss room with 1HP left. I figured I'd take the time penalty and go into Firebug/The Joker with full health. I'm glad I did, because I finished the game with 1HP left as well.

I figured out a new trick for getting through Firebug which I'll attempt to do in my next run. Should cut 20-30 seconds off my time.

Anyways. Enjoy.

New time: 12:14.934, with a few silly mistakes and running out of weapon energy a couple of times. If I do a completely flawless run with my current strategies, I can get under 12 minutes, but everything would have to be perfect.

New time: 11:50.4

Last edited by Drageuth; 16th-March-2014 at 12:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh fuck, I remember this game, I have no idea how children were intended to beat this game. Shit was too hard when I was a kid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Like most NES games, it's all a matter of figuring out the trick for each level and boss. Once you get those down, you are golden. I think I could play through this on my console again and beat it on my first or second playthrough without a game over, now that I've had the chance to dedicate a bit of time to each level. And especially now that I've had a chance to figure out the different techniques for the bosses.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

"I can get this done right proper. Fuck."

Thanks
    EP Points

"This is an old game, I think it was released in '89."

...Me too. ;__; THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL OLD, DRAG.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    "This is an old game, I think it was released in '89."

...Me too. ;__; THANKS FOR MAKING ME FEEL OLD, DRAG.

I was released in '88.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I was released in '88.
    I was still a development project in '88.

Anyway, just started watching. I never really played through too many NES games, and my father was always the type to trade in our consoles and games toward whatever upgrade we were planning to make in the future. And needless to say, I wasn't very good at games when I was 2 and 3 years old. It's nice, then, to see the occasional NES LP. I get to see what happens after all the difficult parts I never progressed past, with little to no effort on my part.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Level 4: "Fuck yea!" on the boss when the discovery is made... I LOLED

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    Level 4: "Fuck yea!" on the boss when the discovery is made... I LOLED
    I made a few of those. I played through it again last night and implemented many of the tricks that I learned while doing this LP. Makes the game a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    I was still a development project in '88.

Anyway, just started watching. I never really played through too many NES games, and my father was always the type to trade in our consoles and games toward whatever upgrade we were planning to make in the future. And needless to say, I wasn't very good at games when I was 2 and 3 years old. It's nice, then, to see the occasional NES LP. I get to see what happens after all the difficult parts I never progressed past, with little to no effort on my part.
    I love my NES.

Honestly, they are the perfect projects for LPs, in my opinion. For the most part, they are short enough to beat in one sitting, and they aren't overly complicated games to try and follow. Some of them are dick hard (ie... Battletoads) and surprisingly entertaining to watch. If mostly for the rage and frustration.

Thanks
    EP Points

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Some of them are dick hard (ie... Battletoads) and surprisingly entertaining to watch. If mostly for the rage and frustration.
    THIS.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It's like: "Cool! He says FUCK at that part, too!"
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    THIS.

It's good to know I'm not the only one. It's like: "Cool! He says FUCK at that part, too!"
    The majority of the time, when I talk about an NES game with pretty much anyone else, it usually boils down to, "Oh, and in <this-game>! When the <something-retardedly-difficult> happens! RAGE" "I know! Jesus, I spent weeks trying to get past that!"

... or something similar.

[ edit ] Also, since doing this LP, I have gotten a lot better at this game. Nine times out of ten I can do a no continue run, and have come very close to doing a no death run. I might do another playthrough on the actual console and append that to the original post.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 10th-May-2011 at 07:06.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Updated with new video.

No death speed run.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Drageuth - I just watched your new speedrun vid... AWESOME. THAT's how it's done.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    Hey Drageuth - I just watched your new speedrun vid... AWESOME. THAT's how it's done.
    I'm quite proud of it. It's definitely not the fastest time -- the fastest unassisted playthrough I've seen so far is something like 0:10:53... or something close to that. Between 0:10:50 and 0:11:00. Which was just... astounding. I doubt I'll ever be that good. But still... a no death run in general for this game is fairly difficult to do, especially when battling The Joker, and I'm quite proud of my time.

Thanks
    EP Points

No death, speed run...

You're a greater man than I.