Thread: Licking Toad & the Skin Conditions That Arise From It (Or: Ray plays Battletoads)*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Licking Toad & the Skin Conditions That Arise From It (Or: Ray plays Battletoads)*

----------PLAN A----------

LEVEL 1: RAGNAROK'S CANYON AND LEVEL 2: WOOKIE HOLE

LEVEL 3: TURBO TUNNEL

----------PLAN B----------

Level 4: Arctic Caverns and Level 5: Surf City

LEVEL 6: KARNATH'S LAIR

----------PLAN C----------

Level 7: Volkmire's Inferno

Level 8: Intruder Excluder

Level 9: Terra Tubes

----------PLAN D----------

Level 10: Rat Race

Level 11: Clinger Winger

Level 12: The Revolution

Level 13: End of the Line

----------OTHER STUFF----------

And now I play what is probably the most traumatizing game of my childhood, simply because someone asked me to. Oh joy.

The year is 1990. Games like Double Dragon and the various TMNT installments are quite popular. Various imitators appear. The SNES is still a new prospect and it'll be a short while before the genre moves onto the new platform. Suddenly, someone at Rare (an established, but still on the rise company at the time. This was before they truly hit the jackpot) got the idea to get in on that bandwagon. So, how do you compete with a series of beat 'em ups involving anthropomorphic reptiles? Make a series of games (no, this isn't the only installment.) starring anthropomorphic reptiles. Other people have tried, sure, and they've seen various degrees of success. But perhaps what will make this stand out is by going completely over the top in every way and providing one of the most varied and inspired gaming experiences the NES has ever seen. All with a difficulty level that makes grown men weep like babies. And thus, Battletoads was born.

Ever wonder what the storyline for this damned thing is? Well, it turns out to be a lot more bizarre than what is contained in the game itself.

Beware, the amount of SO LATE 80'S/EARLY 90'S here is staggering. Also, bad puns and selling out.

See the comic part 1 and comic part 2

And what would anything be without a cartoon? No, really. This is an actual thing. I SHIT YOU NOT.

Savestates used by level:
    1: 0
    2: 0
    3: 2
    4: 4
    5: 0
    6:0 (although there was use of a pre-stage save, largely due to mic failure and various crap)
    7: 3
    8: 7 (turns out I was a tad off on my guess, as I skipped a slot. Reason for high SS count: instant death traps, repeated desyncs, assorted BS)
    9: 4
    10: 1
    11:1
    12: TOO GODDAMN MANY TO COUNT. BLAME THE DESYNCS. (Originally: 5)
    13: 0

TOTAL SAVESTATE COUNT: 25

Total LP's completed since Ivolt started Beyond Oasis (FINAL TALLY!):
    Ray: 1.86
    Hypnos: 4.0
    Tanthias: 1.0
    Cola: 0
    Last edited by Raype; 3rd-January-2011 at 01:00.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

"This game, This fucking game.." - That had me laughing good for a couple of minutes

Still a great game though, i beat this when i was a kid on the actual console itsself, but i had a buddy to switch out with, and it took us the better part of 3 weeks, we must have rage-quit over a 1000 times. i wish we knew about that 5-life code back then..