Thread: Up, Up, UP!! .... and fall down (Drageuth plays Kid Icarus)*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Up, Up, UP!! .... and fall down (Drageuth plays Kid Icarus)*

Yeah. This game.

Now, Kid Icarus isn't necessarily a very hard game. It just gets that kind of reputation because it tends to induce rage quitting. A lot of rage quitting.

One of the big problems is the "two-step" that Pit does every time that he lands. Similar to the first Super Mario Bros. game, where everything seemed fairly fluid and responsive, but there always seemed a little bit too much force pushing you forward whenever you landed somewhere.

This is, in a nutshell, the problem with Kid Icarus. Beyond that, it's a great game. Doesn't have any lives or game overs to really worry about -- they just dump you back at the beginning of the level every time you die, with the same stuff that you started the level with. It's as if the last ten minutes of your life never happened.

Or hour.

Or two.

I kind of cover the general story line in the videos, but for those who don't feel like listening to me ramble (or think that I don't make any sense. Because, let's face it, I don't), this is it (quoted straight from the instruction manual):

Let us go back to the distant past, to an age when the Gods and Man lived together in harmony. There was once a kingdom called "Angel Land." This kingdom was ruled by two beautiful goddesses, Palutena, who administered light; and Medusa, who ruled darkness.
    Palutena lived in the Palace in the Sky and administered light so that man could could live in happiness. And bathed in this light, man grew food and lived in peace. However, Medusa the goddess of darkness was different. Medusa hated mankind. She took great pleasure in drying up the crops that man took great pains to grow, and in turning people into stone statues.

In her anger, Palutena changed Medusa into an ugly monster and banished her to the deep, dark Underworld. For being changed into this ugly monster and forced to live in the Underworld, Medusa promised to take over the Palace in the Sky where Palutena lived.

So great was Medusa's anger that she joined forces with the monsters and eveil spirits of the Underworld and Medusa's army soon began to surpass Palutena's army in strength. Soon, a war between Palutena and Medusa began. Medusa led a surprise attack on Palutena's army, which could barely fend off the attack.

Palutena's army suffered major losses and was heavily defeated in the final battle. What's more, Medusa's army took the Three Sacred Treasures - the Mirror Shield, the Arrow of Light, and the Wings of Pegasus - away from them. Almost all of the warriors in Palutena's army were turned into stone statues and Palutena herself was imprisoned deep in the Palace in the Sky. The peaceful realm of Angel Land came to be inhabited by foul and terrible monsters and was turned into a land of darkness ruled by the wicked Medusa.

Locked in the depths of the Palace in the Sky, Palutena's strength was drained to its last. As a last rsort, she sought the help of the angel youth Pit, who was being held prisoner, locked in a deep dungeon in the nderworld. Pit was a valiant warrior who used to be in charge of Palutena's personal bodyguards. Armed with a bow and arrow brought to him through Palutena's magical strength, Pit attempted an escape from the Underworld.

The guard at this time was low in number as Medusa's army had advanced to the Palace in the Sky. Pit succeeded in his escape and set out on his long adventure to rescue Palutena. Yet tod efeat Medusa, he had to get the Three Sacred Treasures.

Will Pit be able to restore Palutena's light and return it to Angel land? Only you can answer that question.

Long as fuck, isn't it? God, I love the storylines in these old NES games.

Anyways. Onward and outward!

Level 1: Stages 1 & 2

Level 1: Stages 3 & 4

Level 1: Stage 4; Level 2: Stages 1 & 2

Level 2: Stages 2 & 3

Level 2: Stages 3 & 4

Level 2: Stage 4; Level 3: Stages 1 & 2

Level 3: Stages 2 & 3

Level 3: Stage 4

Level 3: Stage 4; Level 4 - Medusa

Yeah, Medusa really is that easy.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Dont know if you already mentioned it, but are you using a capture card or what?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nice work, I watched the first 3 videos, and enjoyed it. I will catch the rest later.

Thanks

Watch out for "metroids"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    Dont know if you already mentioned it, but are you using a capture card or what?
    Depends on the game that I'm playing. For most of my NES games, I'm using an emulator. Mainly because I don't own most of them. A couple of games, I use a capture device (for example, my LPs of Megaman 8 and Megaman 9 are done with the capture device). I also did a No Continue run of Batman, which I might put up in my other Batman LP, using a capture device playing on my NES. Still not sure if I'm gonna post that one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomKefka View Post
    Watch out for "metroids"
    Fucking things. They do look like Metroids, though. Even if they predate Metroid by a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by ARProductions View Post
    Nice work, I watched the first 3 videos, and enjoyed it. I will catch the rest later.
    Thankies.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Broke the game, fucked a dog and became Indiana Jones, Great LP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, I can't get past the 2nd level. Always get my ass kicked.