Thread: Bastard in Blue (or, Drageuth -- and guest -- LP the original Mega Man Series)*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Bastard in Blue (or, Drageuth -- and guest -- LP the original Mega Man Series)*

So I've decided to split this attempt up into two different threads. Yes, I'm still doing the "Mega Man series." I plan on covering Mega Man 1-10 (original series, not including Mega Man & Bass), as well as Mega Man X1-6. I do not have a PS2 at the moment, and can't run a PS2 emulator on my laptop, so I won't be doing X7 or X8. Although from what I've heard, it's no big loss.

So here we go!
    1. Mega Man
      • Cut Man, Bomb Man
      • Guts Man, Elec Man, Ice Man
      • Fire Man, Wily's Fortress 1
      • Wily's Fortress 2 (Part 1)
      • Wily's Fortress 2 (Part 2), Wily's Fortress 3 (Part 1)
      • Wily's Fortress 3 (Part 2)
    2. Mega Man 2
      • Bubble Man, Flash Man, Metal Man
      • Wood Man, Air Man
      • Heat Man, Crash Man, Quick Man
      • Wily's Fortress 1, Wily's Fortress 2 [featuring guest]
      • Wily's Fortress 3, Teleport Hatches
      • Boss Battle: Wily
    3. Mega Man 3
      • Top Man, Shadow Man, Spark Man, Magnet Man
      • Hard Man, Snake Man, Gemini Man
      • Needle Man, Return to Spark Man, Return to Needle Man
      • Return to Gemini Man, Return to Shadow Man, Wily's Fortress 1
      • Wily's Fortress 2, Wily's Fortress 3, Teleport Hatches
      • Gamma
    4. Mega Man 4
      • Toad Man, Bright Man
      • Pharaoh Man, Ring Man
      • Dust Man, Skull Man, Dive Man
      • Drill Man, Cossack Fortress 1
      • Cossack 2, Cossack 3, Cossack 4
      • Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2
      • Teleport Hatches, Wily Attempt 1
      • Final Battle: Wily
    5. Mega Man 5
      • Gravity Man, Gyro Man, Crystal Man
      • Napalm Man, Stone Man, Charge Man
      • Wave Man, Star Man, Proto Man 1
      • Proto Man 2, Proto Man 3, Proto Man 4
      • Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2
      • Teleporting Hatches, Wily 1
    6. Mega Man 6
      • Plant Man, Wind Man
      • Flame Man, Tomahawk Man
      • Yamato Man, Knight Man, Centaur Man
      • Blizzard Man, Mr. X Fortress 1, Mr. X Fortress 2
      • Mr. X Fortress 3, Mr. X Fortress 4
      • Wily's Fortress 1, Wily's Fortress 2, Teleporting Hatches
    7. Mega Man 7
      • Intro, Cloud Man, Junk Man Stage
      • Junk Man, Freeze Man, Burst Man
      • Interlude, Slash Man, Spring Man Stage
      • Spring Man, Shade Man
      • Turbo Man, Wily's Fortress 1
      • Bass Battle 1, Guts Man, Bass Battle 2
      • Snapping Turtle, Wily's Fortress 3
      • Wily's Fortress 3, Teleporting Hatches 1
      • Teleporting Hatches 2, Wily Attempt #1
      • Wily Attempt #17
    8. Mega Man 8
      • Intro, Clown Man
      • Grenade Man, Frost Man Stage
      • Frost Man, Tengu Man
      • Interlude, Aqua Man Stage
      • Aqua Man, Sword Man Stage
      • Sword Man, Search Man
      • Astro Man, Shopping
      • Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2 (Part 1)
      • Wily Fortress 2 (Part 2), Wily Fortress 3
      • Green Devil, Teleporting Hatches
      • Wily, End Cutscene
    9. Mega Man 9
      • Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Plug Man Stage
      • Plug Man, Tornado Man Stage
      • Tornado Man, Magma Man, Hornet Man
      • Splash Woman, Concrete Man, Shopping
      • Wily Stage 1, Wily Stage 2
      • Wily Stage 2, Wily Stage 3
      • Teleporting Hatches, Wily
    Last edited by Drageuth; 12th-January-2011 at 06:51.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mega Man

Mega Man :: Cut Man, Bomb Man

Mega Man :: Guts Man, Elec Man, Ice Man

Mega Man :: Fire Man, Wily's Fortress 1

Mega Man :: Wily's Fortress 2 (Part 1)

Mega Man :: Wily's Fortress 2 (Part 2), Wily's Fortress 3 (Part 1)

Mega Man :: Wily's Fortress 3 (Part 2)

Spoiler warning:

Original comments made, before the rollback:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    Yes, that star looking item fully replenishes your health and weapon stocks.

And you weren't that far off on the boss order, even if you weren't actually trying for it. IIRC the official order is Guts->Cut->Bomb->Elec->Ice->Fire. But it's pretty much the most varied one that I know of, since almost nobody starts with Guts (most people go with Cuts, myself included. Probably because Guts is usually viewed as the hardest of the weaker 3) and Bomb Man isn't especially hard even with a buster.

Great project. But I have to question your sanity at taking on this many games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth
    I know I'm a bit nuts, but at least they're short games to try and do. It's not like I'm LPing all of the Final Fantasy games.

And I've seen many different versions of the "order" to beat the guys in. I used to start with Cut Man, but then to maintain the order you would have to go to Elec Man, which is pointless because they you can't get the Magnet Beam. So when I'm doing an honest to God, play the Robot Masters in order of weakness attempt, I go:

Bomb Man->Guts Man->Cut Man->Elec Man->Ice Man->Fire Man

Which seems to work very well. Guts Man is a helluva lot easier with Bomb Man's weapon (as illustrated), and you don't really need Guts Man's weapon to defeat Cut Man at all. And then you can continue on to Elec Man's stage and no harm is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiji
    Wow, I'm completely surprised you didn't exploit the electric attack against the first wily boss in MM1. If you push select over and over again when the lightning is attacking the boss's eye, you can kill him instantly. I never actually fought that boss the right way since an exploit like that existed.
    I'm aware of the Select "cheat," but I'm trying to do this with as little actual cheating as possible. Just using the items that you find in-game. I believe I did attempt to "show" it in my first attempt against the Yellow Devil, but I had only one hit left before I died and just couldn't be arsed. It also works great against Elec Man and Wily... and, actually, pretty much any boss in the game, now that I think about it.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 24th-December-2010 at 03:31.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mega Man 2. There's a special surprise in the fourth video, at the end. Also, sorry for the low audio -- my son was asleep when I recorded these, and I was talking a little bit quieter than usual.

Mega Man 2 :: Bubble Man, Flash Man, Metal Man

Mega Man 2 :: Wood Man, Air Man

Mega Man 2 :: Heat Man, Crash Man, Quick Man

Mega Man 2 :: Wily's Fortress: Stage 1 & 2 [ featuring Guest ]

Mega Man 2 :: Wily's Fortress: Stage 3 & 4

Mega Man 2 :: Wily

Spoiler warning:

Original comments posted before the rollback:

You were correct on flash man's weakness. In fact, I believe he can be taken down in one shot with the crash bomb. Thankfully, he's not so strong that that's especially necessary.

Oh, and wood man is actually weakest to either crash bombs (which render his shield completely useless) or fire (which is a one hit KO). But I guess giant buzzsaws of doom work just as well.
    You know, for some reason my mind made the association between "buzzsaw" being fantastic against "wood," but it didn't make the association that "fire" against "wood" would be better. I really should go see a shrink about that... (on a complete sidenote: microwave jeans! )
    Last edited by Drageuth; 24th-December-2010 at 03:37.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Aaaaannnnnndddddddd onto Mega Man 3. This was my favorite Mega Man game growing up. Thankfully I did it justice and didn't get my ass handed to me too often. That does not apply to Mega Man 4. I got buttfucked in Mega Man 4. We're not even going to talk about that one.

Mega Man 3 :: Top Man, Shadow Man, Spark Man, Magnet Man

Mega Man 3 :: Hard Man, Snake Man, Gemini Man

Mega Man 3 :: Needle Man, Return to Spark Man, Return to Needle Man

Mega Man 3 :: Return to Gemini Man, Return to Shadow Man, Wily's Fortress 1

Mega Man 3 :: Wily's Fortress 2, Wily's Fortress 3, Teleport Hatches

Mega Man 3 :: Gamma

Spoiler warning:

Comments made before the rollback:
    There is one other use for Top Man's weapon, it's a good weapon against heat man. Although thanks to it being incredibly weird it's rarely used for that purpose. Probably doesn't help that about half the returning bosses are more or less weak to shadow man's weapon, and heat man just so happens to be one of them (as you clearly illustrated )

Protoman was also a victim of the overseas renaming. The japanese name was Blues. (taking the music joke further. Further still if you realize that Rock (man) and Roll are improved versions of Blues. ). It's more than a little odd that he's almost completely red while his younger brother who just so happens to have a name starting with R is clad in blue.

Oh yes, and it's possible to get behind air man and have less issues with his attacks deflecting your shots. Combine that with him being tied for highest susceptibility to buster shots, a relatively easy level, one of the most generally useful weapons, and the incredibly useful option you get, it tends to place him at or near the bottom of a lot of recommended boss orders. Ye olde high jump can help with that one. Unfortunately, he's not that weak this time around.
    I honestly hate using Top Man's weapon. It's the most annoying thing to try and hit with. It's not like the shield weapons, where there's a little bit of a grace period where you don't actually touch the enemy, you're just a little bit away from them -- with Top Man, every time I've ever used it I've gotten hurt. I hate it so much. >.<

Protoman was also a victim of the overseas renaming. The japanese name was Blues. (taking the music joke further. Further still if you realize that Rock (man) and Roll are improved versions of Blues. ). It's more than a little odd that he's almost completely red while his younger brother who just so happens to have a name starting with R is clad in blue.
    I actually didn't know that. Wow, they really took the music references way too far... Rockman, Roll, Blues, Bass, Treble, Rush (depending on how picky you want to be about the references), and Eddie (van Halen).

Oh yes, and it's possible to get behind air man and have less issues with his attacks deflecting your shots. Combine that with him being tied for highest susceptibility to buster shots, a relatively easy level, one of the most generally useful weapons, and the incredibly useful option you get, it tends to place him at or near the bottom of a lot of recommended boss orders. Ye olde high jump can help with that one. Unfortunately, he's not that weak this time around.
    I should have configured something to the player 2 controller and illustrated the high jump. It really is a lot of fun to use, but it can get really annoying when attempting to navigate some of the tighter corridors. Air Man is pretty easy to beat if you have Wood Man's attack, and if I felt like attempting to dodge a bit better I could have slid under his attack in his revisit in MM3, but quite honestly it wasn't worth the effort.
    And it gets worse as more characters are introduced.

Bass and Treble didn't escape Operation: Rename Everything either.

Originally, they were Forte and Gospel. Forte being a term for strong notes that is used almost exclusively in classical music. It's a bit of a double pun (classical music is practically the opposite of rock music, and Bass is obsessed with proving he's stronger than everyone, much like the musical name "forte" would imply). Gospel also falls into that category, and it's a style of music known for being extremely low tempo (Rush is also a term for when songs boost tempo, although it's mostly used for when a member of the band plays just a little too fast and throws the group out of sync). It also kind of works due to Light having a more forward thinking opinion of robots vs Wily's backwards idea. Light has a more positive outlook and uses more modern names (Rock, Roll, Blues, Rush, Eddie, X (algebra)) whereas Wily has a negative outlook and tends to be more associated with older names (Forte, Gospel, King, Zero (a number vs the more common symbols of his era), and while not directly tied to/created by wily sigma (a greek symbol) who just so happens to be host to wily's last big "screw you" to machines and claims to be working for Wily at one point, and Omega (another greek symbol) a (mostly) Wily build robot that takes a name change and ends up working with a Wily stand in

The joke mostly survives, as bass can have a rather strong (and somewhat overpowering) sound, and treble certainly fits in there as well. In rock music that sound is typically kept in the background whilst lead guitar and drums take the foreground. In a lot of musical styles, bass is used as a counter balance to the other sounds. Bass is Wily's first real shot at making his own anti-megaman weapon.

Also, I always thought Eddie was a reference to the iron maiden mascot (being that he's little more than a head)
    That could very well bit it, too. I honestly have no idea, that's just the relationship that my mind makes. I haven't been able to 100% figure out Eddie, although your definition for Rush makes a lot more sense than mine -- I didn't know "rush" was a musical term.

That's a fantastic definition, though. I may have to steal some of that for when I do MM7 -- which I will probably be recording tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailin' Palin
    It's not a musical term. It just happens to be the name of a fairly well known progrock band that dabbles a lot in scifi themes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempo#Rushing_and_dragging

Quote Originally Posted by Nailin' Palin
    First I've ever heard of it and I pal around with a lot of musos.

Still, a minor classical term for getting off-beat doesn't fit entirely with the rest of the references.
    That was the association that I made with "Rush" and why I also associate "Eddie" with being related to "Eddie van Halen." However, Ray's description makes more sense from a musical standpoint than the relationship with the band "Rush" does.

And, another point of musical reference: the little blue bird "Beat" that appears in 5, 6 and 7 (although he doesn't do anything in 7) is also a musical term. And, in the Game Boy series, there are a few genres in there as well: Punk and Ballad being the most obvious ones.

I still stand by "Eddie" being "Eddie van Halen" though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Onto Mega Man 4!! This is perhaps my worst Mega Man game of all time -- I don't really enjoy playing it too much, and therefore I didn't do all that well in this game. I think I got something like four game overs. There's also some really hack-job editting in here, 'cause I didn't want to show me doing the same stages twice unless I absolutely had to. Fucking Dive Man. And fucking Wily.

Mega Man 4 :: Toad Man, Bright Man

Mega Man 4 :: Pharaoh Man, Ring Man

Mega Man 4 :: Dust Man, Skull Man, Dive Man

Mega Man 4 :: Drill Man, Cossack Fortress 1

Mega Man 4 :: Cossack 2, Cossack 3, Cossack 4

Mega Man 4 :: Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2

Mega Man 4 :: Teleport Hatches, Wily Attempt 1

Mega Man 4 :: Final Battle: Wily

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mega Man 5~~!#*~

Mega Man 5 :: Gravity Man, Gyro Man, Crystal Man

Mega Man 5 :: Napalm Man, Stone Man, Charge Man

Mega Man 5 :: Wave Man, Star Man, Proto Man 1

Mega Man 5 :: Proto Man 2, Proto Man 3, Proto Man 4

Mega Man 5 :: Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2

Mega Man 5 :: Teleporting Hatches, Wily 1

Mega Man 5 :: Final Battle: Wily

Nothing remarkable happened in this one. I've always found Mega Man 5 to be the easiest of the series, although definitely one of the most fun to play through again and again.

Spoiler warning:

Comments posted before the rollback:

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    Holy shit they reused a part of wave man's level in splash woman's level

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

MEGA MAN 6!~#)(*~#)(*~#_*

Mega Man 6 :: Plant Man, Wind Man

Mega Man 6 :: Flame Man, Tomahawk Man

Mega Man 6 :: Yamato Man, Knight Man, Centaur Man

Mega Man 6 :: Blizzard Man, Mr. X Fortress 1, Mr. X Fortress 2

Mega Man 6 :: Mr. X Fortress 3, Mr. X Fortress 4

Mega Man 6 :: Wily's Fortress 1, Wily's Fortress 2, Teleporting Hatches

Mega Man 6 :: Final Battle: Wily

Spoiler warning:

Comments made before the rollback:

Yamato can be a reference to a couple of things, but they tend to be purely japanese in origin. Considering the design aesthetic of his level the one that would probably make the most sense would be the one that refers to historical japan.

If they weren't trying to be roundabout with it, they might as well have just named him "samurai man" or "japanese man". Or if you want to completely narrow it down "ancient japan man". Hilariously, you pretty much got it with your spur of the moment nickname.

(Also, tomahawk man, knight man, centaur man, yamato man. The theme for the non elemental guys this time around is history. )

Yes, you were pronouncing it correctly.

As far as Centaur Man, my best guess goes that they were trying to tie things in to an atlantis level, but they already used up their best ideas for water themed guys. I guess poseidon man would have looked too much like wave man. Oh well, I guess centaurs are still sort of ancient greece.
    I should really do some research into some of the odder names before I play them. Thankfully, there aren't too many coming up (the weirdest one I can think of, at the moment, is Boomer Kuwanger from MMX). At least I pretty much got it right with "Japanase Man." (I would have loved it if he had been called Japanese Man. And his weakness were the bombs that American Man uses. )
    And western europe man is weak to japan man. Most notably his projectile attacks. Meanwhile, western europe man trumps eastern europe man. Hooray for WWII history!

Boomer Kuwanger is pretty easy. He uses boomerangs and he's a kuwagata. Post original series they like to alter a syllable or two to make it less obvious. Therefore...
    It would also help me if I had ever heard of a kuwagata before.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

On to Mega Man 7! OhmyGodican'tbelieveitnomore8bitpixels(fornow!) )))PO@#*(P@$\pi0-OLWERP04E

I'm going to preface this with: Mega Man 7 is one of my worst Mega Man games. I don't enjoy playing it all that much, and it's just right behind Mega Man 8 for games that I don't really play all that much. However, it's part of the chore that I have to do finish my little project.

Mega Man 7 :: Intro, Cloud Man, Junk Man Stage

Mega Man 7 :: Junk Man, Freeze Man, Burst Man

Mega Man 7 :: Interlude, Slash Man, Spring Man Stage

Mega Man 7 :: Spring Man, Shade Man

Mega Man 7 :: Turbo Man, Wily's Fortress 1

Mega Man 7 :: Bass Battle 1, Guts Man, Bass Battle 2

Mega Man 7 :: Snapping Turtle, Wily's Fortress 3

Mega Man 7 :: Wily's Fortress 3, Teleporting Hatches 1

Mega Man 7 :: Teleporting Hatches 2, Wily Attempt #1

Mega Man 7 :: Wily Attempt #17

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Brand new videos, a-go-go!

Mega Man 8 :: Intro, Clown Man

Mega Man 8 :: Grenade Man, Frost Man Stage

Mega Man 8 :: Frost Man, Tengu Man

Mega Man 8 :: Interlude, Aqua Man Stage

Mega Man 8 :: Aqua Man, Sword Man Stage

Mega Man 8 :: Sword Man, Search Man

Mega Man 8 :: Astro Man, Shopping

Mega Man 8 :: Wily Fortress 1, Wily Fortress 2 (Part 1)

Mega Man 8 :: Wily Fortress 2 (Part 2), Wily Fortress 3

Mega Man 8 :: Green Devil, Teleporting Hatches

Mega Man 8 :: Wily, End Cutscene

Spoiler warning:

Just hit the intermission of 8.

1.) In MM7 I don't think you can destory the pumpkin's shell in shademan's level. But if you destory it by shooting the eyes it blows up the wall instead of the floor. Protoman is back there as a boss fight (notice that empty slot? Yeah, beating him gives you that item), as is an energy converter.

2.) The more direct way of stating what a Tengu is would be "It's a japanese fairy". They're pretty much the same thing.

3.) The robot that pops up in the intermission level isn't the guy from the opening. Those weird purple orbs from the lab are chunks of it. You find one inside each boss. Wily apparently got his hands on some and used it to make the robot masters in this game.
    I thought Duo was one of the guys who were fighting in the intro video. One is purple and one is blue, and they both crash land at the same spot. Wily takes away the purple evil spirit thing, and Duo is left lying in the crater. I thought the logical assumption was that Duo was the blue thing in space that you battle before "unlocking" the next four Robot Masters.

Or am I referring to a different section than you?

As for the pumpkin shell, most of that was probably just faulty memory. I recall doing it once upon a time, and for some reason the image in my head was the pumpkin exploding. Oh well. I don't play those games that often -- my descriptions are littered with inaccuracies.
    Unfortunately, I was not able to recover Ray's reply to this. However, it went something like this:

durp durp durp totally talking about something else durp durp durp like, I'm so smart durp durp durp that big purple guy was created by Wily durp durp durp I like gay sex.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Plug Man Stage

Plug Man, Tornado Man Stage

Tornado Man, Magma Man, Hornet Man

Splash Woman, Concrete Man, Shopping

Wily Stage 1, Wily Stage 2

Wily Stage 2, Wily Stage 3

Teleporting Hatches, Wily

A couple of notes about these videos.

• This was my fourth or fifth time playing the game, although only my second time completing it.
    • I finished the game in approximately 1:15:00, and received the "Waltz" and "Tango" trophies.
    • I said in the second or third video that J. Satellite doesn't use any energy power unless you shoot it. I didn't realize that I picked up Weapons Energy Capsules along the way. So just ignore that part. I lied. Gratuitously.
    • I believe that the Blue Bomber trophy that I received was for defeating a boss with the Mega Buster without being hit. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Drageuth; 13th-January-2011 at 01:45.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. In Tornado man's level you can deal with those magnets by simply tapping jump every time you land on it. That way, you don't rotate around. I always find it easier to get through the first batch (and some of the second batch) that way, since the jump animation is a lot quicker and easier to maneuver with.

The level itself shows various forms of weather, so Tornado man is probably on a weather themed level. "Weather man" probably sounded stupid. Much like how the bee themed boss has a flower themed level.

2. Oil doesn't do shit. I have not encountered a single issue or noticed a single change caused by oil. And I haven't found any information that shows any change brought about by getting oiled up aside from all of your attacks and various things turning black. My guess would have been that it affects damage or increases fire damage. But it doesn't and there's no fire based enemies to be seen. So yeah.

As for everything else:

I'd probably be repeating this guy, and I'm nowhere near as good at it, nor as thoroughly prepared

This is a playlist filled with a shitload of awesome crap. It also provides an exhaustive listing of all the references and recycled material in MM9, as well as a few cheap and easy tactics for taking on certain bosses.