Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hangout

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RTT View Post
    I have an iMac that's at least 10 years old...

It still works great.
    I don't think.
    You used new generation laptops or computers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, my desktop is 4-6 years old. I don't exactly recall. It's still good though. Upgrading the CPU(3.0 gHz core2 duo) would require upgrading the mobo (LGA 775 socket), which would require upgrading the RAM (4 GB DDR2...1066?). Overall, not worthwhile since it would be a drop in gHz for more cores. I sidegraded the video card once just to get an HDMI out and added a terabyte internal drive, but other than that it's all still the same parts. It doesn't run recent games on max graphics by any means, but it can handle middle of the range for most games.

If I were going to upgrade, I'd probably just drop in an SSD and a better video card.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

free Harvardx online Computer Science Course begins today!

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to skullpoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Estacado View Post
    >Implying I could be posting right now from a 4 year old laptop. But it's ancient and stuffs.
    >Implying I don't post daily from an 8 year old laptop without issues

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/fujitsu-...-31282148.html <--- Link very related

Quote Originally Posted by EviLord Kefka View Post
    Isn't it ironic, just 3 years but still Whooping 3 years.
    Exactly! Maybe it's just because I've always owned terribly outdated computers and so simply don't notice the negligible (imo) amount of lag as well as people who are used to using the "latest & greatest" do. My very first desktop had a P2 @ 200mhz and originally 128mb ram (later bumped up to 2gb from donated parts), and while it was nowhere near as "quick" as the later computers I would acquire, I still found it to be highly usable.

Above all however, I just don't see any reason to drop cash on a new one when the one I have does everything I want it to (emulators, a TON of pc games, typical everyday computer stuff). While newer, more powerful computers are needed to play the latest PC games, computers between 8-10 years old can still be used, at the very least, for most basic everyday tasks.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    >Implying I don't post daily from an 8 year old laptop without issues :
    I don't know how old my moms PC is, but it runs Wizard 101 without lag and N64 emultors run goo too. It's XP Media Center

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    I don't know how old my moms PC is, but it runs Wizard 101 without lag and N64 emultors run goo too. It's XP Media Center
    I'm fairly sure they released the XP Media Center edition around 2005 (assuming it came with the computer), which yes, would definitely be new enough to be completely useable and do retro emulators. Not to mention my laptop was from 2004 making yours most likely more powerful
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

I'm fairly sure they released the XP Media Center edition around 2005 (assuming it came with the computer), which yes, would definitely be new enough to be completely useable and do retro emulators. Not to mention my laptop was from 2004 making yours most likely more powerful
    It came with it. It was a friends and they gave it to me since the PSU was busted.

Thanks
    EP Points

It came with it. It was a friends and they gave it to me since the PSU was busted.
    Ah, nice. Any idea what the specs are on it? Depending on what they are (especially the amount of ram), you may actually be able to install Windows 7; recommended since XP is losing all official support next year.

Thanks
    EP Points

It's funny, a couple of days after posting about my 4 year old laptop. It died.

Thanks

Ah, nice. Any idea what the specs are on it? Depending on what they are (especially the amount of ram), you may actually be able to install Windows 7; recommended since XP is losing all official support next year.
    1 GB RAM, unknown everything else except it's got a 200GB HDD

I can haz Hard Drive?

Thanks
    EP Points

I can haz Hard Drive?
    No.

Thanks

No.

what went wrong?

Thanks
    EP Points

Exactly! Maybe it's just because I've always owned terribly outdated computers and so simply don't notice the negligible (imo) amount of lag as well as people who are used to using the "latest & greatest" do. My very first desktop had a P2 @ 200mhz and originally 128mb ram (later bumped up to 2gb from donated parts), and while it was nowhere near as "quick" as the later computers I would acquire, I still found it to be highly usable.
    Ahh, I used to be like you, until I got a new PC that could run new games on max settings. Can't go back anymore. This is gonna be expensive, I hope I can get a good job or else I might have to go back playing laggy games in the future.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

1 GB RAM, unknown everything else except it's got a 200GB HDD
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If it has at least a 1.6ghz processor it'll more than likely run Win7 well enough, though more ram would also help.

Was it a dell? :p

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Ahh, I used to be like you, until I got a new PC that could run new games on max settings. Can't go back anymore.
    Thankfully the only PC games I play are a handful from around 2000, any newer games I'm interested in have console ports
    Last edited by MaslowK; 17th-October-2012 at 05:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

If it has at least a 1.6ghz processor it'll more than likely run Win7 well enough, though more ram would also help.

Was it a dell? :p
    Acer. Was badly made, but decently spec'd.