Thread: Lost my XBOX DVD Kit remote

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Lost my XBOX DVD Kit remote

This looks weird posting this in 2018...

So, I'm planning to put my old XBOX upstairs, and I found out that the Playback kiy is plugged into the 4th player port for YEARS!
    Unfortunatly, I lost the remote.

So I Googled, and people said you can also program the buttons to work just like the remote. I'm not going to do that, since I have no programming-knowledge whatsoever.

So, is there something else I can try, or do I have to buy a new remote?
    Note to everyone who wants to contact me:
    This account has been abandonned as of February 1st of 2020. Because I cannot share any links to other social media in this signature, I recommend you to Google my username, and some of the top results may help you out. (or search for my GBAtemp signature, which should be helpful enough)

Do not try to send any DMs to me via the EPForums, because I've disabled them.

Also, to any of the mods on this site, do not delete this account.

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The remotes are usually easier to find than the dongle in my experience. I think I have several spare remotes but only one or possibly two dongles.
    Why do you need the remote anyway

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I think what people must have been talking about in regard to programming is actually trying a third party generic replacement remote. Those have to be 'programmed' ie. buttons have to be tested and assigned, nothing to do with computer programming if that is what you are worried about.

But what specific type/make would work with the Xbox + 'dongle' I have no idea. In my experience with such remotes and TVs, even when specifically designed for use with a particular TV there are always functions that either don't work or can't be assigned. It should be simpler with what is in effect just a DVD remote but you'd need some very niche advice from an audio-visual equipment expert or forum on what to buy.

You can always use a standard Xbox controller of course but that means either having the controller cable + extension or the Xbox itself closer and using an extended TV connector cable too. You'd also need the controller attached in the latter case as well and all those cables make it far from ideal.

If you want to be able to use it from a distant bed or chair then the remote + 'dongle' has very obvious advantages.

So all I can suggest is that you search through Ebay/Amazon etc for used original remotes. As dead legion said the remotes are easier to find so having the 'dongle' is the important thing. I think there were third party remotes which came with their own 'dongle' but worked with the official ones too so you might get lucky.

EDIT:-

I've just checked UK and US eBay and there are actually dozens of used original Xbox remotes and 'dongles' available: a remote/'dongle' typically sells under £10($15) inc. p&p. In the US what look like original factory sealed remote/'dongle' packs are offered at about the same price.

I'd be wary of new stuff from China/HK listed using a generic pack pic. Chances of them being genuine MS Xbox equipment are 'reduced' but that does not mean that whatever they are won't still work.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 28th-June-2018 at 11:06.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wait, I can just use the controller to navigate?
    I tried myself a while ago while playing a DVD, and it didn't work.

After digging and searching up some local video game stores, I found out they sell the official DVD Kit with the original remote it came with. Yes, I will have now 2 dongles if I buy it, but it's only $14, can't really complain about anything here.

But still, I can control it with just the controller?
    This account has been abandonned as of February 1st of 2020. Because I cannot share any links to other social media in this signature, I recommend you to Google my username, and some of the top results may help you out. (or search for my GBAtemp signature, which should be helpful enough)

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes a controller will work but you need to use the Xbox app: DVD-X v2.0 Dongle & Remote Free to launch the DVD.

It is an easily found app (AID discs are always a good source for apps) and often comes with new softmods already installed in Apps. When found elsewhere sometimes it may be provided as an ISO because it will work from disc too but far better to extract the ISO content using Qwix or C-Xbox Tools and install it as an app.

If you're using UnleashX you can go to the System > Settings > Launch menu and set it as the default DVD launcher.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 29th-June-2018 at 11:39.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the info.
    To be fair, my XBOX is softmodded. I got it softmodded from my uncle and I have no idea hoe to add applications to it. From what I've heard, you can do it over LAN or over USB, but the USB cable is sold seperately and it must be compatible.
    That already told me enough to NOT softmod it.
    Sure, the XBOX is very powerful in things like emulation, but really, you can use something like Lakka and boot from USB.
    Also, I have a modified Wii, and those things are SO MUCH EASIER TO MOD.

Anyway, to not get off-topic, I found out there is this app called DVD-X (same app, not v2.0) on it, which doesn't use the dongle and can be used with the controller (and it accepts discs from any region)

I will unmod my XBOX soon, as you can basicly load homebrew from disc, and it definetly tells because I have a huge tray of burned XBOX games.
    Anyways, I'll try what I can do with this info.

-Trash

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Trash Bandatcoot View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    To be fair, my XBOX is softmodded. I got it softmodded from my uncle and I have no idea hoe to add applications to it. From what I've heard, you can do it over LAN or over USB, but the USB cable is sold seperately and it must be compatible.
    That already told me enough to NOT softmod it.
    Sure, the XBOX is very powerful in things like emulation, but really, you can use something like Lakka and boot from USB.
    Also, I have a modified Wii, and those things are SO MUCH EASIER TO MOD.

Anyway, to not get off-topic, I found out there is this app called DVD-X (same app, not v2.0) on it, which doesn't use the dongle and can be used with the controller (and it accepts discs from any region)

I will unmod my XBOX soon, as you can basicly load homebrew from disc, and it definetly tells because I have a huge tray of burned XBOX games.
    Anyways, I'll try what I can do with this info.

-Trash
    The app is often just called DVD-X; I've never seen a version of it other than v2.0 so chances are that is what you have found.

If you have UnleashX just go the file manager and look for either E or F:\Apps or E or F:\Applications and that is where you put it. Most UnleashX dash installations have their config.xml set up to use one or other, sometimes both, locations for apps. You can't really go wrong.

Apart from using a compatible flash drive with Xbox adapter cable and Xplorer360 the easiest way to get something from PC to Xbox is via FTP. Plenty of online tutorials about how to do that.

It can be a bit flakey (lots of disconnections and failed to transfers with large files) but, usually, you can get it to transfer everything eventually. Once set up small transfers like apps rarely cause any such trouble.

What I'm a bit worried about is that sentence: "I will unmod my XBOX soon........".

You do not want to be doing that because if you do then you are not going to be able to FTP or boot anything from burned discs whether that be homebrew or Xbox ISOs. The Xbox must be either chipped, TSOPed or softmodded if that is your intention.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 30th-June-2018 at 19:35.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh, really?
    Well, guess I keep it modded again.
    I've tried previously to connect with an FTP tool but it never worked.
    Luckly, I'm now using other tools, so these may work.
    Also, I found out the XBOX can run things like MAME emulators, something much more powerful the Wii can't handle. The menu's on PC arent as clean in comparison to XBOX, so you convinsed me not to unmod it. I just have to clean up the menu's then if possible because that's just a pure MESS.
    So, to not get off-topic with what the title of this post is, I've gotten for now enough info on how to play DVD's and why I should keep it modded.

-Trash out, I think...

Regards,
    Trash_Bandatcoot

Thanks
    EP Points

On the FTP issue you should be good just connecting the Xbox to your router by an ordinary ethernet/Cat. cable. Do not use a cross-over cable as is sometimes suggested. They should only be used for direct connections ie. not via a router. Even though modern PCs can detect the cable type being used and it should not matter what type you are using sometimes it does. With the Xbox it can be like that.

As long as in the UnleashX System > Settings > Network you set it to DHCP the router/PC should assign an IP address to your Xbox. This will show up on the main dash in the bottom right when using the Default blue skin.

It won't appear if there's no connection so that's a good indication if there's anything wrong with the set up.

Then you use FileZilla or alternative FTP Client on your PC. Connect to the Xbox using the network settings shown in that UnleashX Network settings page. You may also be asked for username and password. As long as nobody else has changed them both with be "xbox".

That should be it.
    Last edited by TheAbysmalDark; 1st-July-2018 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Trash Bandatcoot View Post
    I just have to clean up the menu's then if possible because that's just a pure MESS.
    Sounds like you just don't like whatever softmod/dashboard you're running. Maybe look around for alternatives. Something like Evo-X or Avalaunch would be fairly basic but functional. I'm guessing you're running XBMC? That can seem cluttered with all its features but it can be skinned and configured.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

EvoX and Avalaunch are great as apps because they have features, like eeprom backup, that are still useful. But as main dashboards they're under-specified.

As I think I said earlier here or on another thread, a dash without a built in file manager and text reader/editor (only UnleashX has the latter) is a great disadvantage. Using a FTP connection to manage your Xbox's files is just asking for trouble IMHO.

XBMC's capabilities and customisation options dwarf any other dash and although it is far less user friendly it certainly is not intimidating if just playing video games is all you're interested in using it for.

If you're looking for simplicity but still with significant user control then UnleashX is the dash to use. Customising it via its built in skinning support and even modifying the config.xml is also about as easy as anything like that can be and as such is a great learning tool.