Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to configure FF7. Help please

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

You don't need DVDs to burn FF VII, it's a cd based game so you need CDs.
    And yeah, modded PS2 can run backups on CD's, you need a chip or Breaker Pro, NOT Swap Magic since it's a PSX game.

Thanks

So I NEED a modded ps2?

Thanks
    EP Points

I wouldn't trust this whole DVD thing. As for what you're trying to do... A boot disc is only to boot the game... I wonder if it would work after having been booted by the original. At any rate, it's worth burning a CD in order to find out, IMO.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction, . Forgot about the Swap Magic deal.

Thanks

Okay, so how do I burn the 4 extracted files on a CD?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveManiac View Post
    Okay, so how do I burn the 4 extracted files on a CD?
    Check the tutorial polobunny wrote: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=24893

Each disc in it's own cd.

Thanks

Thanks a lot guys. That's all I needed. I'm on a mac though, so I'm just gonna move the extracted files to my windows computer. Thanks again!

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks a lot guys. That's all I needed. I'm on a mac though, so I'm just gonna move the extracted files to my windows computer. Thanks again!
    Your PS2 won't read it though because it's not modded.

Thanks

If you like FF7 you should try FF7 Crisis Core but id advise buying it cause youll devolop the shared sindrome here.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Makenshi, that's enough of your silliness.
    You're not really helping much.

Now then, what Astaroth is trying to get you to realize is that you're wasting your time because you also need a way to play "backup" copies of PSX games on your PS2.

Which means either you need to install a modchip or you need to buy a Breaker Pro.

Those are the only 2 ways to play a "backup" copy of a PSX game on your PS2.

And no, you CANNOT swap discs with a PS2 like you can with a PSX.

Thanks

Ok I've been reading a bit and it sounds to me like you are wanting to swap your original, damaged version of FF7 with a copy. This is possible as I've had to do it with my original of FF9 (I still hate my brothers for ruining it). What you need to is take the good CD image you have and use a program on your computer to burn the CD image to a disc. This is NOT the same as burning files. A CD image is an exact duplicate of the original containing the same structure and file order as the actual disc is was made from. There are many programs out there that can burn CD image properly even on a MAC (unfortunately I'm not that familiar with MAC programs since I run Windows). I believe a program call Toast is on that might work for you. You have to burn the disc at the slowest speed for best results.

The next thing you have to do is perform the swap trick at the right time. Since you are swaping an original for a clone copy of the same disc then it will be a lot simpilar for you. First let the disc load to the menu. It might be best if you also choose to continue to load up the memory card manager so that the game doesn't try to load any hidden stuff while you perform the swap (FF9 will show various images of the characters with different quotes if you wait on the menu for a while.

To swap in a PS2 you have to first remove the front cover of the disc try (fat PS2 only, the slim version is a bit more tricky so if you have the slim PS2 then this paragraph should be ignored). If you look underneath the disc try with it closed you should see a small white peg sticking up on the left side. This peg is moved and follows a track on the bottom of the try to eject the try out of and reinsert it into the PS2. Take a small, flat head screwdriver and stick it under the disc tray to the left of that peg and gentily force it to the right to eject the try without the PS2 knowing that the tray is even being ejected. WARNING!!! Doing this incorrectly can damage your PS2's disc tray and/or the system itself so be sure that you do not force anything as the peg should move with relative ease. At this point take out the original disc and insert the copy then press the tray back into the PS2. You should press it in with enough force to lock the tray into place but not too much to damage it. If the tray will not press back in then take your screwdriver and insert it in the right side underneath the tray and push a little to the left to allow the tray to move again. You should note that during the time that the tray has been ejected the PS2 will frantically try to read the disc as it does not know the tray is open so try to perform the swap quickily but safely so that you get the disc back into the system before the PS2 gives up in reading. I've been able to perform this swap with the PS2 only trying to read 3 times and that was when I took my time. It should take about 15 seconds or less to do this swap once you get the hang of it.

For the slim PS2 the eject switch is not as easily to find and since I don't have a slim PS2 I can't really help you here but I hope that the above tutorial helped if you have the fat PS2.

At this point you should be able to load your game and play from the copy. If it doesn't work and you know you did the swap correctly then chances are you didn't burn the disc correctly. A correctly burned disc (must be a CD-R as CD-RWs will not work) should have the same files on it as the original disc. If you see only the image files then all you did was burn a data disc with the image file(s) on it and didn't burn the actual image.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel