Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Definition of an Old School Gamer

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Acrimonious
    Archon. Zak MacKraken. Maniac Mansion. Accolade Comic. Kick Start. Antiriad. Defender of the Crown. Sammy Lightfoot. The list goes on and on and on.
    Wizards of Wor, anyone? A great little game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Nope, that name does not ring a bell with me. I'll look into it.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I started gaming on Commodre 64. Had some great games like Bubble Bobble, Count Duckula, He-Man Masters Of The Universe (Space Invaders playable during boot up!) and Pack Rat.

Damn it took something like 15 minutes to load those games. And these days people complain about load times of 30 seconds to a minute...

Thanks
    EP Points

32 bit old school=no way Jose

Mikey_ Guest

i started off gaming with the sega master system and the nes. is that old school?

Thanks
    EP Points

Thats old scool enuf fir me yo lol....sorry, been up waayy too long, 6:30 AM w00t w00t

I say pushing the 16bit era is more or less old school, 32 bit is the modern era really. To me, theres the Pre-Nintendo Era (Intellivision, Atari, and Coleco for consolish things, plus many others), then it moved SMS to NES, and i still consider us basically in the Playstation Era now (Lets face it, they do sell the best). Its yet to see when we come out of it though

Mikey_ Guest

i remember loving games on the SMS like wonder boy 3 and zillion.

Thanks

I'm only 16... But, I started with NES and backtracked to the C64, Atari, Intellivision later on. Does this make me old school having played mostly every system (Not emulated even).

Thanks

I played a little bit with Atari, but was pretty much raised on the NES. I think that's pretty old school.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    That's good for an old-school console gamer, but what about someone who started with the computer, and never went to consoles until something like less than a decade ago? For example, someone who bought a C64 when it first came out and every game they could get their hands on is certainly an old-school gamer, even if they never even touched an Atari or Nintendo. Similarly, many popular games didn't need a pause button at all, so 2 is right out the second you enter text or turn-based games, which are again predominantly computer-based.
    Heh then I'm an old school gamer since I bought my first c64 2 years after it was first was released. But it also shows that I'm getting quite old

Thanks

I consider anyone an oldschool gamer who started with any 2d console in the early 90's or earlier. Consoles of primarily 3d games and later would be a whole new generation of gaming, making the old generation have it's own title.

The atari and snes might be vastly different in terms of power, but they can be grouped together in the same generation of gaming, same as the ps1 and the ps3 will be vastly different in power but still in the same generation of 3d gaming. Untill something else comes along that greatly changes the face of gaming, entering a new age.

Thanks
    EP Points

age has nothing to do,I agree with that,I'm 23 and I'm an old school gamer,
    I like to call myself "a dinosaur from the 80's",I'm playing games since I was
    like 3 or something,and it's a matter of taste,I'll choose nes + fun over
    3d ultra high quality graphics + boredom any time,I'll choose arkanoid 2 for PC
    (it requieres xt 4mhz 640kb ram and cga 4 colors graphics card!!,and of course,
    no hard disk,it runs from the 360kb 5.25 floppy!!,I still have my original 1989 floppy
    and it is in perfect condition!,I used it to play hours every dar during years before
    I got my first hard disk drive,and it's still working and I use it to copy the game
    to the hard disk when I format,hahaha),a game that 16 years after its release
    still rules,over any half life or doom 3 or max payne or whatever,
    I'll choose raiden 2,smb,contra,etc etc,over any modern game.
    The golden era of games (in terms of fun and playability and having the capability
    of getting you hooked and making you play for hours and hours without noticing)
    was between 1985 and 1993/94 for my taste .sure,there are good games from
    more recent years,but it's rare to find something that causes you all the exitement
    you had in the NES era. or maybe it's nostalgia because we were kids and we wrew
    up with those games. bah,I vote for "old games rule,that's an objetive fact,not nostalgia" period.

anyway,I'm an old school gamer and age has nothing to do with it,it's about your
    taste and how do you judge a game and what you feel about old but fun games
    compared with what you feel about new 3d high quality crap that's wonderful to
    watch,but boring to play.
    nothing

Thanks

I don't think of my self as old school, the first system I had was Sega Genesis/ SNES later on. The first pc game I played was Quake, then Doom. I don't even remember what buttons the Genesis had, but I do remember playing sonic and almost beating it, then I had to quit, but couldn't save. Was there a pause option in Vectorman and Sonic? I think so.

EDIT: Doom and Sonic are both games that I still play BTW.
    Like something I've uploaded? Give me rep, then. Don't you just love begging?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    I played a little bit with Atari, but was pretty much raised on the NES. I think that's pretty old school.
    Same here... Began with a 2600. Heh... then the Master System then a Nintendo. I think I did have a c64... spare me, I was young... and a really old Apple computer. my favorite will always be... the brick. The original Gameboy with Mario Land.

You are making me remember. I hate you.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger
    age has nothing to do with it,it's about your
    taste and how do you judge a game
    I fully agree with that. I know some people who just won't touch a game unless it's 3D or looks pretty. They pass up games because they are old and uglier when compared to current generation games. I'll call someone "old school" if they look past how the fun is packaged and simply seek out the fun.
    dollarcoin
    My Share List