• Breath of Fire series

6 3.26%
  • Vagrant Story

9 4.89%
  • Legend of Legaia

4 2.17%
  • Saga Frontier series

0 0%
  • Mana series (Legend of Mana and his brothers)

4 2.17%
  • Tales of Phantasia/Destiny/Destiny II

13 7.07%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best RPG Game for PSX

Thanks

Dang, this is a hard one, there are just so many great PS1 RPGs. All the FFs are good, as is Chrono Cross, Grandia, BoF 3 and 4... I wish you could pick more than one!

Thanks
    EP Points

Vagrant Story, since FFTactics is more of a Tactics Ogre converted into the FF universe, and I haven't yet finished Xenogears.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shikaeshi
    Final Fantasy VII rules the roost. No other game on the list has its lasting appeal.
    have you played the games on that list to say something like that?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Xenogears is the best hands down. If someone says something else, beat them with a large stick.

Thanks

Vagrant story rocks! However, I think the Final fantasy series and valkryie profile is as cool as them. Couldn't really make a choice between them, thus I chose valkryie profile, since I liked the battle system ^^
    Behind every action awaits the corresponding consequences <br>

Thanks

Breath of Fire 3 is definately one of the greatest... man im gonna go play it now... also i totally agree about needing Suikoden series up there. i mean there are people willing to shell out big bucks just to play it.... suikoden 2 that is

Thanks

My opinion is this

FFVII = Overrated peice of shit that should be thrown out of every household. It was good but, seriously, I just wish people would stop liking it JUST because it was their first rpgs. Damn kids that never had an SNES.

Xenogears = A game that square completely forgot to hype because they were too busy hyping Final Fantasy VII (they were still hyping Chrono Trigger the fucking time, jesus). This game had an amazing storyline, great graphics (aside from the character sprites out of battle), the battle system completely blows any Final Fantasy crap out of the water. It had emotion, it had everything, even a good soundtrack.

FFVI - Just as good as Xenogears for the same reasons. The esper system was awesome, the skill that each character got was awesome (who didn't like gau's move?), It was awesome.

My ending statement is Xenogears. It is originally on Playstation, whereas FFVI wasn't, plus FFVI isn't on this list. Next would be Chrono Cross.
    Requests -
    Warhawk (PSX)
    Thank you kids.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shikaeshi
    Final Fantasy VII rules the roost. No other game on the list has its lasting appeal.
    Not to be mean but I can't stop laughing after reading that post.

Hell, I never got to play FF7 until recently, I only got it because I was curious to see what all the hype was about and so...

Youd'd be amazed at how dissapointed I was. The sound effects were terrible, the plot was bland and seemed incomplete. Sephiroth is the worst villian ever, the graphics are crap (Hell the FMV doesn't match up to other games), the battle system is slow and annoying. The materia system is okay though, its nice being able to transfer abilities to other characters when they're needed, it does have large replay value too with the massive amount of side quests to do (Most of them are boring as hell though and usually have you go through 1000 battles just to get a simple skill, yuck) and the music is excellent but everything else about it is crap and the fan boyism adds up to it.

As for my favourite RPGS:

FF9 - Awesome cast, excellent graphics, excellent soundtrack, excellent plot. This like the most underrated FF though, just because its rather colourful that doesn't automatically make the game bad kids. The character models actually look decent for once in FF7 and FF8 they looked ugly as hell and sometimes you can't even tell what they're supposed to be. The battle system is still rather slow but not as much as FF7 and FF8's. The plot is IMO, better then 7's. Sure the final boss was the typical boss that appears out of nowhere but Kuja wasd an excellent villian in every regard... except the fact he looks far too mcuh like a girl (I wouldn't care if he was though) about the only thing I hate about FF9 is the fact that Queen Brahne is so f**king ugly. Its a shame I had to resort to emulation to replay this though.

Tales of Phantasia - Sure its a remake but its still awesome neverless. The battle system is fun, the cast is excellent, the plot is cool, Dhaos is IMO my favourite villian in any video game. Like all FF games it has a large number of side quests to do adding up its replay value plus this game also supports multiplayer now like the other Tales games. Who said RPGs can't be fun multiplayer games? The graphics are done pretty well despite being imported from the SNES game with slight modifications (Well the characters are an exception). My only gripe is the fact that the SNES version has far more superior soundtrack.

FFT - Sure it uses the tactical system from Tactic Ogre (Heck, they even stole the staff) but its an excellent game neverless, unlike the GBA port the game had to to require planning out your moves with they're unique nature and such. The game is rather challenging too (Riovanes Castle *shudder*) and the plot is one of the best ever in any FF game. This actually in my opinion the best FF game besides FF9 and FF6. This game is simply flawless.

Valkyrie Profile - Stronger in gameplay rather than plot. You see like almost no plot movement after the start of the game until the end of the game. Evenso this game is always a lot of fun to play. The battle system is rather fast paced, the dungeons arefun espically if you love platformers and whilst the graphics are 2d they are excellent.

Oh yes I have played others but I'm tired of typing now.

Thanks

I woulda chosen BoF cuz it was one of the few rpgs that I actually played through and enjoyed, but Valkyrie Profile is still more fun.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDon
    My opinion is this

FFVII = Overrated peice of shit that should be thrown out of every household. It was good but, seriously, I just wish people would stop liking it JUST because it was their first rpgs. Damn kids that never had an SNES.
    If it's a good game, then what's the problem with people liking it? Moreover, if you acknowledge that it's a good game then why on Earth are people only able to like it because it was their first RPG? Are you sure that some people don't just cite Final Fantasy VII as their favourite game because it's...y'know...good? I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII, it's probably among my favourite games to date, and I absoloutely abhor being treated like some moron who judges games based solely on graphics simply for liking it. It was nowhere near my first game, and nowhere near my first RPG, yet I still get typecast as an 'OMFG 1337 GAMER!' simply for saying that I enjoyed it. Nobody sighs and shakes their head disdainfully when somebody says Ocarina of Time is their favourite game of all time, even though it's just as fanboyed as Final Fantasy VII is (and was just as visually impressive, if not moreso, at it's time of release).

And besides that, what's wrong with liking it (or any other game for that matter) because it happened to be your first of a certain genre anyway? Like it or not, nostalgia tends to breed some pretty major bias; at least people who say 'I like Final Fantasy VII because it was my first RPG' are being honest. Personally I know that I'm biased towards games like Shining Force II and Phantasy Star II simply because of the times in my life at which I first played them, and games like Starcraft and Street Fighter II because they were my first experiences with certain genres, but I really don't care: the reasons for me liking something aren't as important as the fact that I like it, and if I can replay a game that I've already played a ridiculous amount of times, and still have fun playing it, then I should be allowed to list it among my favourites and not be sneered at. Nostalgia is a perfectly valid reason to enjoy something.

Oh, and I didn't have a SNES, I had a Mega Drive.

Anyway, all that aside, I didn't actually vote for Final Fantasy VII. I voted for Xenogears.
    Last edited by Harmony; 14th-December-2005 at 09:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

am I the only one that thinks the graphics in ff9 suck? (well,the whole game sucks,
    not as much as ff7,nothing can beat the suckness of ff7 exept something made by
    sega perhaps),I really don't understand when people say "it pushes the psx to
    the limit" or "the graphics are great and detailed".
    ???,are they talking about the same game I think they are talking?,did I miss an
    option in the menu that says "good graphics on/off"?.
    the graphics in ff8 are by far more clear and detailed,ff9 looks choppy,squares and
    huge pixels everywhere,it's to 3d what legacy of kain blood omen is to 2d,
    (but lok bo is a great game).
    Even with bilinear filtering it looks choppy. some backgrounds are great,but the
    characters are very pixelated,the faces are almost unrecognizable (is that a word?).
    I don't care about graphics,(I wonder if any nes fan does),
    I'm just saying this because I don't understand the "ff9 has good graphics" thing.
    I don't judge a game for its graphics,I don't like ff9 but for other reasons.
    Going back to the roots of the series is a great idea,too bad it went wrong with a
    weak plot,stupid characters that you hate and want to kill them instead of the bad guys,like steirner and eiko,useless characters like quina and amarant,a dissapointing
    main character that has not charisma and "heroness" like squall (one of the greatest
    main characters ever),but instead he has a monkey tail,(why?,WHY?),and an ugly
    and stupid girl that lacks of everything that celes,terra,elly or luna have,you
    never get to like her and care about her,and,if you don't like the girl,you don't
    feel comfortable with the main character,and you hate the support characters,
    how are you supposed to like the plot or care about what happens?.
    The only good character was freya,I wish she was the main one,she looks like
    a main character,she behaves like a main character and she has charisma an attitude
    to be a main character.
    anyway,I wish I could vote again and again and again for xenogears,I already said
    this but I say it again,it deserves the "best psx rpg ever" title,and in the
    "best rpg ever" category only ff6 beats it. (btw,I hate gau).

ps: my top five list goes like this: ff6,xenogears,lunar,tales of phantasia and ff8.
    nothing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony
    It was nowhere near my first game, and nowhere near my first RPG, yet I still get typecast as an 'OMFG 1337 GAMER!' simply for saying that I enjoyed it. Nobody sighs and shakes their head disdainfully when somebody says Ocarina of Time is their favourite game of all time, even though it's just as fanboyed as Final Fantasy VII is (and was just as visually impressive, if not moreso, at it's time of release).
    I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII also and I don't mean EVERYONE likes it just because it was their first RPGs. But there are people that played FF7 first and now they compare every rpg to FF7 and say stuff like

"I don't like how you have to learn the magic from leveling up, I like the way in FF7 how you put the materia on your character and learn what you want."

Okay you enjoyed FF7, so did I. I know that if it's your first of the genre you can like it more than others of the same genre. I know with Ultima Online,an mmorpg, I refuse to play other mmorpgs because I don't find them nowhere near as fun.
    Requests -
    Warhawk (PSX)
    Thank you kids.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pelger
    am I the only one that thinks the graphics in ff9 suck?
    They don't suck, it really has better graphics than the rest of the PSX FFs, and most other games on that console.
    Even with bilinear filtering it looks choppy.
    Here's the main thing. There's no bilinear filtering 'option' on a real PSX. So I guess you could try and compare FF8 and FF9 on a real PSX, and then say things that it's uglier. Different art style, sure. But less detailed? Definitely no.
    ...a dissapointing
    main character that has not charisma and "heroness" like squall (one of the greatest
    main characters ever)
    If you didn't realize, Squall is just far too feminine for a hero? Why didn't they make the main character female then? Also this 'teen soldier' thingy is getting to me. And since most such heroes are obviously kids, I guess it's natural for them to have problems like "Oh I'm such a lonely guy, but actually I'm not that bad.". Best main character would go to Ashley, the confused wanderer in Vagrant Story. He's actually an interesting character, and different from the usual stereotypes. Or the Nameless One, from Planescape: Torment.

...But, I'm not here to derail the thread, I've already given my vote for Vagrant Story.

Thanks
    EP Points

squall femenine??????
    ff9 has better graphics than ff8???
    I don't understand,It's even hard to believe we are talking about the same games.
    I've seen ff8 in emurayden/vgs and even in epsxe with software plugins,with no
    bilinear or mip map or that stuff,and it looks more clear and detailed than ff9.
    bah,I already said what I think about it,I'm not going to spam the thread.
    nothing

Thanks

Squall has a selfish attitue. He won't open up to anyone, he won't share any of his feelings. Whenever he's asked something that needs his personal imput, he thinks "Leave me alone! Why me?" and often says "It's none of your busniess". Mabye he wants attention? No, that's not it. It's that he doesn't care, nothing worries him to much, he has no time for other people. He feels everyone has to look after themselfs and he doesn't need any help. People go out of thier way to help him feel involved, but he shuns thier invitations like a shot. Saying that, he is very lucky people didn't give up on him. he would have gone into spiral of depression and mental decay, because in the end Squall shows that he isn't a bad sort, his love for Rinao blossems and in the end, he finds what he has been looking for.

So in conclusion, the fact is that Squall is just a little immature. But grows up in the end.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..