Thread: P III upgrade question!

Thanks

Question P III upgrade question!

I currently have a 733Mhz PIII processor that is in a regular tower. Then I stumbled upon a computer that was being thrown out with a 1000Mhz processor in it, however this computer was an �all in one� computer. When I took it apart to swap the processors I found there was a fan on the heat sink. The one in my tower is just a normal heat sink.(no fan).

I want to swap the processors and give my brother the all in one computer with the slower processor. Does the 1000Mhz processor need a fan-cooled heat sink or not? I've never done anything like this before. I�ll appreciate any help you can give me.

I�m hopping that the reason there is a fan on the �all in one� computer is because there is no breathing room in the case and thats why there is a vent over the processor so the fan can blow it all out.

Edit:
    I'll give you my thought process:

The �all in one� computer's case seems to be designed for that heat sink. (there are round vent holes with the same diameter as the round heat sink.) where as my tower has lots of room for my heat sink to breath. And that heat sink there is also another cooling fan over the DVD rom.

(on the other side)

The 1000Mhz processer needs the extra cooling power. But then if i switch them the "all in one" computer might burn out.
    Last edited by G-String MIX; 7th-September-2005 at 03:50.

Thanks
    EP Points

If it had a fan, I beleive it's better to let it with it. Usually you take the heatsink that goes with the processor.

Thanks

Yah but i'm not sure if the the heatsink from the tower will work well in the "all in one" computer because there is no open air. (if it even fits) Do heat sinks need open air? I supose is the question.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well teh much air there is the much better it is, but don't stress alot with that. If there's no alot of space but there was still an heatsink in there, even if the other one is bigger or a bit smaller it sohuldn't make much difference.
    Those old P3 can be heated to pretty high temperatures without much suffering.

Thanks
    EP Points

it'll be alright to just swap the 1000mhz cpu and heatsink+fan to your pc and the other 733mhz cpu and heatsink to the "all in one" pc as long as they are both socket370 or slot 1. BUT...Youd prolly be better off trying to find another heatsink+fan for the other cpu. maybe try ebay or something.
    http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29796&dateline=143454  3972

Thanks

Why go to ebay when you laredy have something for free? I think the point of this is to NOT spend money...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    If it had a fan, I beleive it's better to let it with it. Usually you take the heatsink that goes with the processor.
    Usually but the 1000mhz must have a passive heatsink and a fan mounted in the back of the case, This would work fine with a lower Clocked CPU I would believe.
    The question is, are they the same socket.

Thanks

Yah they are the same socket, and i switched the 2 processors and they work fine. However the passive heat sink didn't fit in the all in one computer's case. So the 1Ghz processor is now in the tower case with the passive heat sink.

Now, what Master Vivi is sayng is that it would be ok if I have the passive heat sink with a fan for the case. I'm a litle bit of a newb so i'm not sure if i have one or not. There is some kind of fan in the power suply does that do the trick? And are you telling me that i should underclock it?
    Last edited by G-String MIX; 7th-September-2005 at 20:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

P3's aren't heating alot, a big passive heatsink or a small fan heatsink is more than enough.