Thread: Teach Me, Oh Great H4x0r's!!!

Thanks

Default Teach Me, Oh Great H4x0r's!!!

Can someone tell me how to re-write SNES and PSX games. For the sole purpose of adding more content.

For example, in FF3 there is a weapon called the Kaiser, well it sucks. I wanted to give it an ability of some sort like maybe posion or demi. And in PSX, Resident Evil 3, I have not be able to get the all weapons unlock because I suck at that time attack. SO I just want to unlock it.

Anyone know how to achieve what I'm asking up there? please?
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

you'd need the source, dude. until then, it can't be done.

Of course you could probably make a patch, but it's way complicated...

Thanks

im not sure about ff3 but hacking RE3 is fairly easy.
    also, the technique is the same but i only do pc games so not sure what tools u need for PSX games. u could use the pc technique with the emulator running RE3 though.

the basics have been explained many times before so i will just refer u to some tutorials, check out the beginner's tuts on memory searching at www.gamehacking.com
    make sure u know how to do that before moving on

ok for RE3 specifically, all the items are stored in an array of dwords (4 byte values), the structure of an element in this array is:

II SS AA AA

II is a 1 byte value representing the id number of the item. to get an item just replace this with the appropriate ID, for a item digit listing check some gameshark code site
    SS is a 1 byte value representing the number of slot ot occupies, usually an item takes up one slot but some takes up two like the rocket launcher
    AA AA is a 2 byte value indicating the amount of this item. IIRC, on RE2 if you set AA to 0xFF (=255 decimal) the items becomes infinite, i dont remember exactly what is the correct value for a true infinite item in RE3 though.

all you have to do is to search for AA AA using a memory searcher, then trace back a few bytes to get to the location of the id number, and replace it with what you want.

My Trade List (Not up-to-date)
    I'm a math teacher, so let's plus the bed, minus the clothes, divide the legs and multiply the joy

Thanks

Actually, i happen to have a C++ compiler some where around here specifically for making playstation programs, never tried it out though on making a program, but i know the program opens.

I have it here some where but im' not sure where on my computer it is. i forget what i was searching for when i found it also. If you want i could look it up sometime.
    Last edited by kohlrak; 4th-May-2005 at 20:55. Reason: FORGOT SOMTHING...

Thanks

You could try to use a level editor for FF3 and change it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    you'd need the source, dude. until then, it can't be done.
    not necessarily. reverse engineering can be used to add new functionalities to programs. of course depending on the scale and properties of these functionalities, as well as the nature of the program, it would be more or less difficult, but it is possible.
    basically all programs when compiled are in the forms of machine opcodes (except a few intepreted languages like VB which uses a virtual machine instead of directly using the cpu's instruction set), which can then be converted to a more readable form which is assembly code. tools that do this conversion from executable to assembly are called disassemblers. the asm code can be regarded as a kind of "raw" source code if you will.

I'm a math teacher, so let's plus the bed, minus the clothes, divide the legs and multiply the joy

Thanks

I heard the word "Editor". Where could I download that kind of thing. Also to the man with the playstation deal, is it a program or hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by micral
    im not sure about ff3 but hacking RE3 is fairly easy.
    also, the technique is the same but i only do pc games so not sure what tools u need for PSX games. u could use the pc technique with the emulator running RE3 though.

the basics have been explained many times before so i will just refer u to some tutorials, check out the beginner's tuts on memory searching at www.gamehacking.com
    make sure u know how to do that before moving on

ok for RE3 specifically, all the items are stored in an array of dwords (4 byte values), the structure of an element in this array is:

II SS AA AA

II is a 1 byte value representing the id number of the item. to get an item just replace this with the appropriate ID, for a item digit listing check some gameshark code site
    SS is a 1 byte value representing the number of slot ot occupies, usually an item takes up one slot but some takes up two like the rocket launcher
    AA AA is a 2 byte value indicating the amount of this item. IIRC, on RE2 if you set AA to 0xFF (=255 decimal) the items becomes infinite, i dont remember exactly what is the correct value for a true infinite item in RE3 though.

all you have to do is to search for AA AA using a memory searcher, then trace back a few bytes to get to the location of the id number, and replace it with what you want.
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for. you know any way to say... ADD an item to the RE:3 arsenal?
    Last edited by Paladin_Hammer; 6th-May-2005 at 12:32.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

well the items are stored consecutively in the memory, each item takes up 4 bytes, so if you figured out the location of one item (by searching the memory with these tools) you can just add 4 bytes to the address to get the next item and so on, the best way to modify these values easily is using tsearch's built in memory hex editor. to add items just modify any blank slot to the appropriate values, the slot has to be the first empty slot though, otherwise it wouldnt appear.

hmm what kind of editor do you mean, if it's a hex editor there are plenty of free ones i think, one of which is called AXE... pretty good stuff, i still use it for extracting raw palette data from images to use in my cracktros.. and there's Hex Workshop but it's not free.