Thread: Download non-accelerator

Thanks

Default Download non-accelerator

What the heck is wrong with my Download Accelerator 7.4.0.1? Its maximum speed is 50KB/sec (devided among all downloads).. And its not my firewall blocking (stays on 50KB/sec even if i turn it off), its not set on limited bandwith, i got cable modem 4Mbps (not 512k ), P4 3.2ghz... What is wrong?? Is it because Dap is now totally free without spyware?
    The strangest thing is this: When i turn the bandwith to limited, reducing speed to 1KB/sec, and then turning the bandwith to infinite the speed raises to sometimes even 1MB/sec!( for just 2secs though, then dropping to 50 kb/sec again).
    Or its just my new super-sucking modem on which we can make phonecalls, reducing speed to this low, but still it doesnt make sense with the speed-boost.
    Last edited by Xslicer; 2nd-May-2005 at 12:39.
    Playing: World of WarCraft & Metroid Prime 2

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

isn't that the right speed? 50 * 8 = 400 which is only slightly lower than your advertised 512k.

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

Gee, i wonder how somthing can speed up downloads when a modem can only let so much information through at one time. I'd like some one to explain that one for me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sniper is right the 512k advertised is 512 kilobits per second, the speed displayed by your download program is given in kilerbytes per second.

The conversion between bits and bytes is to multiply/divide by 8 (depending on the direction of conversion)
    512 % 8 = 64
    So your theoretical maximum is 64 kilerbytes per second, this figure doesnt allow for overheads and other programs using the internet at the same time. Therefore around 50 is a pretty realistic figure.

Explained?

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

And then sometimes the speed increases to 1MB/sec? One time it even increased to 2MB/sec total. Thats just my problem, and in the 'early' years of DAP, on my Win98 pc and with my other modem my download was non-stop 200KB/sec.. Thats whats strange.

Thanks

i dunno man.. but 2 Mb/sec is only possible on T1+, the current fastest home cable service can only reach 1.5 mb/sec theoretically...

My Trade List (Not up-to-date)
    I'm a math teacher, so let's plus the bed, minus the clothes, divide the legs and multiply the joy

Thanks

Yeah i know.. my Cable is 4Mbits/sec, so thats 500Kb/sec.. Well i already researched this problem, and its wrong. Im going to call my provider, asking why the hell my speed is so slow.

Thanks

Also, the target you are downloading from affects the speed. If you download from a source that can only upload data 50 kB/s, you can't get the data any faster than that.
    Have you seen me before?

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

try using a speed test website to see how fast your connection can really go. Actually, use more than one, just to get a more accurate number. If the speed test shows you getting around 80% of the advertised speed, then you're good. also, make sure you're using a wired connection when testing the speed, cuz wireless might make it slower depending on distance and interference

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

try the speed test at broadbandreports.com

My Trade List (Not up-to-date)
    I'm a math teacher, so let's plus the bed, minus the clothes, divide the legs and multiply the joy

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

The speedtests at broadbandreports are often full.
    If they are, then try the speedtest at CNET
    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-...tag=cnetfd.dir
    Quote Originally Posted by kohlrak
    Gee, i wonder how somthing can speed up downloads when a modem can only let so much information through at one time. I'd like some one to explain that one for me.
    Some sites, to try and save on bandwidth, limit how many connections each IP can make when downloading from the site, and limit how much speed is allowed per connection.
    So, let's say you're downloading from a site that limits you to one connection at 6 KB/s (basically dial-up speed)
    With an accelerator like DAP, you can make up to 5 simultaneous connections, to get a download speed of 30 KB/s.
    Which is why sites that limit your download speeds also tend to have "anti-download accelerator" links which will not allow you to connect to them unless you're connecting through your browser.
    Some sites also IP ban people who try to use download accelerators.
    Which is why, I always check a site that I find, for any warnings about banning people who use download accelerators, before using one.