Thread: Programming Problems Page

Thanks

Default Programming Problems Page

Hi. I'm a relatively new person to this forums page. It occurs to me that it might be useful to have a thread where you can post programmes that you are working on and request others to help to explain what is wrong.

I'd suggest stating what programming language is being used and what development kit.

As I've already said I'm new to the forums and may be posting the wrong thing in the wrong place or not entitled to create this thread. Please let me know if there's any problems.

[Edit]

UsinG java version 1.4.2 and the eclipse editor.

Here's my problem already. I've created a GUI which has buttons in several locations that have no function and aren't intended to. My problem is that when you close it it still runs, I know you use window listeners and a Sytem.Exit but can't figure out where. Could Someone please help? I've submitted it in a word format because I don't know how to get any other formats uploaded. Any suggestions for this would also be useful.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Phoenix J; 30th-April-2005 at 15:32. Reason: Forgot to add my Problem

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm its a good idea, but I sorta think it might be better if people put in their own problems in new threads just so there is less confusion

Check out the rules if you want to make your own project page. I'll try and see what the trouble is with that program a bit later.

Thanks

Aww, DOC filetype

I looked at it, but I have no experience in JFrame programming, so I can't help you right now. Maybe Google can help, but it is quite difficult to discover the search keywords for this problem. Maybe some Java tutorials might help?
    Have you seen me before?

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Castlevania might help you. When he gets his sorry ass over here, that is...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cushing
    Hmm its a good idea, but I sorta think it might be better if people put in their own problems in new threads just so there is less confusion

Check out the rules if you want to make your own project page. I'll try and see what the trouble is with that program a bit later.
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'll explain the idea for this thread in more detail.
    As well as everyone having their own thread for their projects they can post on this thread any problems they encounter. That way any members whom enjoy helping others and recieving help and advice can see that the number of posts has increased and would hopefully check this thread and see whose problems are unresolved. This would in theory be quicker for the person neading help than waiting for someone to stumble on their problem after looking through the many pages that would no doubt be made.

On the flip side however it may be better to post on a personal thread because that way people answering problems may be more familiar with the project you are working with.

Which of the above is a better use for this page? Are my intentions for this page reasonable? If not then please advise me or if nescescary kill this thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds fair lol, hmm, This is a new forum plus I think that this is going to be a bit different from the other forums. I'll have to see where this goes lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cushing
    Sounds fair lol, hmm, This is a new forum plus I think that this is going to be a bit different from the other forums. I'll have to see where this goes lol

Thanks very. By the way I've now solved the problem don't know what was wrong with the commands originally i had put in the action listener after submitting the text version of my programme. here is the working version for Java users who have the same problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

As for this thread's purpose and users having own threads for their projects, could this be the way:

when having a problem, the actual problem is placed in the thread about the project, then a link to that thread is put to this thread with info on programming language used. This way users only need to check one thread to look for help requests, but solving the problems don't mix when they are in their own threads.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

That's a good idea godJonez. A link would be more convenient. Tell you what, shall we leave it to the discretion of the person posting a problem? as long as they say what language is being used as well as maybe the development kit and what method of presentation they've used for there problem if images are being used. e.g. if a picture of a problem was taken of java using the eclipse platform.

thanks for your input though.

Does anyone have problems yet?

Thanks

I had, but I resolved it myself. It was that when trying to edit a large world in ORPG's world editor, the program crashed. I did some research and then I got it: the default variable size was 2048 bytes, so it could only hold max 2047 terrain blocks, so if the world was bigger than that, the variable couldn't have all the data and that caused the Crash. Now I made that variable to allocate 250001 bytes of memory and limited the world size to 500x500. That one extra byte is reserved for the string termination character that is put there automatically. But now that the world can be made that big by the .exe, the JavaScript that handles the actual editing process can't handle tables of that size, so there should be no limit from my program, only the browser's JS support
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    I had, but I resolved it myself. It was that when trying to edit a large world in ORPG's world editor, the program crashed. I did some research and then I got it: the default variable size was 2048 bytes, so it could only hold max 2047 terrain blocks, so if the world was bigger than that, the variable couldn't have all the data and that caused the Crash. Now I made that variable to allocate 250001 bytes of memory and limited the world size to 500x500. That one extra byte is reserved for the string termination character that is put there automatically. But now that the world can be made that big by the .exe, the JavaScript that handles the actual editing process can't handle tables of that size, so there should be no limit from my program, only the browser's JS support
    I tried to access your orpg I don't know how though. don't suppose you could tell me how? are you programming in java?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix J
    I tried to access your orpg I don't know how though. don't suppose you could tell me how? are you programming in java?
    Try at http://www.lehtopuu.fi/jonez/orpg/
    You need to have a valid e-mail address to be able to registrate and log in. And more about this please in the thread about this project or at the forums for this project, thank you.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I know this thread is about programming problems but my question is
    similar to programming problem.
    I'm looking for some good tutorials on programming with DelphiX.
    I'm currently doing images for my sidescrolling platformer game project
    and those tutors will be very helpfull so if anyone has a link to those
    I'll be gratefull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    I know this thread is about programming problems but my question is
    similar to programming problem.
    I'm looking for some good tutorials on programming with DelphiX.
    I'm currently doing images for my sidescrolling platformer game project
    and those tutors will be very helpfull so if anyone has a link to those
    I'll be gratefull
    Never Heard of it to be honest. I'll have a look around and keep an eye open for it though. Have you checked the Programing Tutorial/Resource Listing. you probably have but thought i'd mention it.

Are there any Java programmers out there? I have a problem. How do you create a scroll bar, on a text area that is nested. I've been on the java site but am confused by the jargen. Any other Q's about my problem please ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix J
    Never Heard of it to be honest. I'll have a look around and keep an eye open for it though. Have you checked the Programing Tutorial/Resource Listing. you probably have but thought i'd mention it.

Are there any Java programmers out there? I have a problem. How do you create a scroll bar, on a text area that is nested. I've been on the java site but am confused by the jargen. Any other Q's about my problem please ask.
    Well I'm Java programmer but homestly not that good
    I've never used any windows objects in Java programming just Layered Pane
    and Image holders. I've done more on console programming but I'm not that
    good at explaining things...

As for DelphiX it's an addon for Borland Delphi that allows you to operate
    and programming using DirectX in the easiest way possible...still it needs some
    explaining on how to use it though