Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant get my windows xp to load(need help asap)

Thanks

Default I cant get my windows xp to load(need help asap)

I turned on my pc today and saw that I didnt have the modem plugged up. When I went to shut down I hit the power cord and it cut off. When I tried to turn it back on, it got to the windows screen where you log in, but it just freezes(the log in part doesnt load at all, just the blue screen with windows stays there). I tried safe mode etc. and it still doesnt work. I dont have the windows xp home edition disc for my pc but I will have a windows xp pro editon from a friend later on today.

Will windows xp pro edition work and not errase my hdd?
    or
    Is there a way to fix it without the disc?

Thanks

So did you accidentally cut the power out before Windows shut down? Then it might be that one of the important open files was not closed and that prevents Windows from using it. Once you get a CD, select repair install and go to repair console and run chkdsk there. It should find the broken files if there are any. Then you just need to transfer those files from another computer or extract from the CD (if you can) and copy them in that console.

Sounds maybe complicated, but if you get into it, it isn't that difficult.

Hopefully someone else has also met this error and knows a better solution.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I went to turn off pc or whatever its called, but I didnt click the icon to shut it down yet where the log out and standby icons are

Thanks

you could run the recover setup, it only replaces the system files, doesnt hurt any other files/programs

Thanks

But he didn't have CD for Home edition (I believe he has that installed) and I don't think Pro lets do a repair install over Home. Well, I have never tried it, but sounds absurd...
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    But he didn't have CD for Home edition (I believe he has that installed) and I don't think Pro lets do a repair install over Home. Well, I have never tried it, but sounds absurd...
    Well, me either, but I have done a Win XP Pro system recover with a Win XP Pro (SP2) disk, so I don't know what to say at this point.

Maybe use Knoppix to save his files on a secondary drive then reinstall XP pro on the master drive? Only way I can think of getting his personal stuff from it...

Thanks

Also make sure to boot dos and scan for bad sectors... I've had bad sectors 4 times in 3 months that made my windows not boot, it's easily repaired without uninstalling. A repair install should fix any problems to do with windows itself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fultz
    Also make sure to boot dos and scan for bad sectors... I've had bad sectors 4 times in 3 months that made my windows not boot, it's easily repaired without uninstalling. A repair install should fix any problems to do with windows itself.
    that's what GODJonez said. you can't do a check unless you have a FAT32 partition, or go to the Recovery Console... At least that's what I believe..

regular DOS won't recognize (sp?) your hard drive if it is in NTFS format..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    that's what GODJonez said. you can't do a check unless you have a FAT32 partition, or go to the Recovery Console... At least that's what I believe..

regular DOS won't recognize (sp?) your hard drive if it is in NTFS format..
    Yes. You can add NTFS support to dos using 3rd party drivers, but I wouldn't trust them. You'd just pretty much destroy the whole partition using those. Recovery Console is the only way to access NTFS partition when XP has completely stuck.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Yes. You can add NTFS support to dos using 3rd party drivers, but I wouldn't trust them. You'd just pretty much destroy the whole partition using those. Recovery Console is the only way to access NTFS partition when XP has completely stuck.
    I agree. 3rd party is like saying "i want to mess up your computer" to me. I only trust DOS and/or Recovery Console.

Thanks

man I dont know much about pcs so what should I do? use the pro edition or get a home edition disc?

Thanks
    EP Points

If at all possible get the disk to the version you have. In this case. Home.

Thanks

man I got the home edition disc but I still dont know what Im doing, can anybody help?

Thanks

I had something like that once, turned out that the keyboard had drink spilled in it :<.

Thanks

If you have the home edition CD, insert it to your drive and make sure you have CD-rom booting enabled from BIOS and it is before HD booting. Then select Repair install and it should fix the system.
    Have you seen me before?