Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doom movie is going to star The Rock...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by m79
    and half life 2 i think would be a great movie. very sci-fi, most likely with lots of special effects, good story and stuff. i wonder who would play the main character
    Yeah, I agree that Half-Life has the makings of a very good film. Doom however, I'm not too sure about. I mean, as Endemic said, there's really not a wealth of backstory to build a film on. It'd be akin to making a Tetris film, in my opinion. Well, it'll be out soon enough, so I guess we'll see just how successful they were.

Thanks

mrchampipi, I had heard about that movie, The Nameless, but haven't had a chance to see it yet. It looked interesting to me so I'll have to check it out, thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, I agree that Half-Life has the makings of a very good film. Doom however, I'm not too sure about. I mean, as Endemic said, there's really not a wealth of backstory to build a film on.
    I will have to disagree to a point here. Because Half Life is already a detailed story as it is in the games, I wouldn't see any reason to make a movie other than to expand the market of a popular franchise. Although that would be a good enough reason to do it.

On the other hand, Doom is "not a wealth of backstory", so it has to be created. Then the story would be original and even great, in the right hands. Unlike the vg movies we have seen. Some have been ok, but all forgettable when compared to good films. If that's all they're ever shooting for, that's pretty weak in my opinion.

As far as the RE movies, I think the fact that they weren't a carbon-copy of the games is not why those movies are bad, on the contrary, those are good points. They are bad because they are not done very well. Too many flaws, if they were trying to contend with good horror movies we have seen, and not just making a fandom fad. If the latter, I can't really get thrilled about it. I don't like that director either. He seems to put making movies as a secondary thing, and setting up sequels as the priority. AVP was pretty lukewarm, he did that too. But that's just what I think.

But anyways, as far as doom and any other game that I think might make a good movie; they'd be better off just using the story and making an original movie. It doesn't look like we'll ever see a truly good vg based movie.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Wow I can't wait to see some demons being blasted to bits on Mars and down in Hell! Except there are no demons, no Mars and no Hell...

So... why did they call it Doom again?

Uncle Evil Guest

the second doom game was on earth wasnt it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Creature
    I will have to disagree to a point here. Because Half Life is already a detailed story as it is in the games, I wouldn't see any reason to make a movie other than to expand the market of a popular franchise. Although that would be a good enough reason to do it.
    Why do you think it's so popular to adapt established book/videogames/etc. to film? It's all about the potential to make serious money off the fans of those properties. It's why they're adapting Doom to film. Such projects have a built in audience from the get-go, because you're pretty much assured that the die-hard fans are going to go see it. It seems that making a genuinely good film is secondary in importance though, which is a shame.

As far as Half Life's detailed storyline being a factor against it becoming a movie, I totally disagree. It's that rich wealth of story potential that works in it's favor. You don't have to adapt the games storylines to the letter. In fact, being that Half Life has such a rich storyling going, it's totally feasable that the project could go in it's own direction, while fitting into the overall mythos presented in the games.

Doom gives scriptwriters nearly nothing to work from. There's hardly anything to go on, so they'll have to pretty much build a world around the games themselves. They have the chance to take what little backstory the games afford us, and run with it. If the movie is wildly imaginative, then one could ignore the fact that the game's influence hardly extends beyond the films title. Though from what I've been reading, it seems that Doom is going to be exactly what you accuse RE of being, a fandom fad. It's looking like nothing more then a sci-fi knock-off, with next to nothing to distinquish it as being a Doom film. Let's hope the movie rises above that stigmata, eh? It's not looking good right now.

As far as the RE movies, I think the fact that they weren't a carbon-copy of the games is not why those movies are bad, on the contrary, those are good points. They are bad because they are not done very well. Too many flaws, if they were trying to contend with good horror movies we have seen, and not just making a fandom fad.
    Hmn. I respect that opinion. But being that at the time of the first RE movie, zombie films were a stagnant genre, I don't think that's the case at all. The movie was never set up as a straight-forward horror film. It was always only ever presented as an action oriented zombie flick. As such, I thought it did what it set out to do pretty successfully. It wasn't the best movie ever, but it was hardly so flawed as to be unwatchable, at least in my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 13th-March-2005 at 18:04.

Mikey_ Guest

you're right. its more action than horror.

Thanks
    EP Points

The "Doom movie is going to star The Rock..." thread is now known as the "Let's debate/bitch about the Resident Evil movies" thread...lol

EDIT- Quite honestly, if there is any movie based on a video game that royally sucked ass, it was Street Fighter: The Movie...God, what a horrible radioactive piece of shit that was. Too bad that was Raul Julia's last film, what a way to go. He deserved better than that.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 14th-March-2005 at 09:49.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma
    EDIT- Quite honestly, if there is any movie based on a video game that royally sucked ass, it was Street Fighter: The Movie...God, what a horrible radioactive piece of shit that was. Too bad that was Raul Julia's last film, what a way to go. He deserved better than that.
    yea very sad for Raul Julia: this guy was such a great actor.
    But come on, S.F II's also staring the mighty J.C Van Damme, one of the best actors of the century

For me, the worst movies based on video game are super mario broth and Double Dragon. O wait...there is also Mortal combat ultimate destruction.

But maybe should we look for the ones that actualy doesn't suk. That is...errrrr.....
    With a ppc: c64, mame, atari/amiga, nintendo, sega, nec and psx, all in your pocket.

PSX games on your pocket pc : www.fpsece.net

Uncle Evil Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrchampipi
    But come on, S.F II's also staring the mighty J.C Van Damme, one of the best actors of the century
    You're Kidding right?
    For me, the worst movies based on video game are super mario broth and Double Dragon. O wait...there is also Mortal combat ultimate destruction.
    yeah the Super mario movie did suck and i have several friends that think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and the first Mortal Kombat movie was alright but the second SUCKED i couldnt get through the entire movie it was so dumb
    But maybe should we look for the ones that actualy doesn't suk. That is...errrrr.....
    are there any?

Thanks

Paul Anderson... What a way to screw up a good movie... XD

I agree that RE not being a carbon copy of the game's plot is not a bad thing... But they don't actually work with the established plot, instead throwing some lame ideas into the mix which totally screw with the real backstory (which already sports a few plotholes here and there), they even change it in some ways.

Had the RE movies been more like Gun Survivor, which was related, though not centered on the same characters/events from the series, it would've been a decent movie... As is, it has a horrible director, a bad script and that lame action-flick stigma which seems to appeal only to the lowest common denominator or those who don't mind wasting an hour and a half on a movie, even if it's a bad one...

As for the Doom movie, I like the idea of having The Rock in it, but let's just see what they do with the plot...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Evil
    and the first Mortal Kombat movie was alright but the second SUCKED i couldnt get through the entire movie it was so dumb
    You know, I went to see mortal comat 2 on theater with my litle bro: usualy, we really enjoy stupid action movies, make us laugh so much, taken on the 3rd degre...but this one was such a shock: yea, it's worst than everything, it was like a 2h long power rangers episod, one of the most painfull moment in my entire life (but I got an even worst one lately when I saw Alexandre)

O and: No, of course I'm not jocking about J.C Van Damme. I'm convinced that the only reason why he never got an Oscar award is just because he speaks french. Wy did he never played in a psycho drama? I mean, he's got at least 2 different facial expressions! All those actor's studio wankers are no match for him.
    Last edited by mrchampipi; 14th-March-2005 at 21:03.
    With a ppc: c64, mame, atari/amiga, nintendo, sega, nec and psx, all in your pocket.

PSX games on your pocket pc : www.fpsece.net

Thanks
    EP Points

LOL! Van Damme, one of the best actors of the century, what a joke. He's such a homo. As far as there being any movies based on a video game that didn't suck, well, there aren't any. I can't think of a single one.

Thanks

So... this means the Doom Movie will suck?
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin_Hammer
    So... this means the Doom Movie will suck?
    Well, obviously. Consider the track record for video game based movies. Nuff said.