Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches

Thanks

Default The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches

Ran across this quite a long time ago, still thought it might be amusing if you have never seen it before. http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html Oh well enjoy and discuss

Thanks

It's so... true.
    Oh, from Pong Ping? Let's see what it says.

Thanks

Ha, not just RPG's, many of these rules reminded me of playing MGS 3, particularly the missing master hypothesis and dealing with beautiful women parts 1 and 2. I have to forward this to some of my friends, it's a hoot and a hollar!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by PongPing
    It's so... true.
    its sad..... very very VERY sad and true... and almost every RPG i can think of is realated to more than one of these on the list.... in fact, i think super mario RPG is the only one without a cleshe.... (i donnu may be wrong, its been a while since i played that game)

Thanks

lol especially the single parent one

lol this tooo

Adam Smith's Corollary
    No matter how thoroughly devastated the continent/planet/universe is, there's always some shopkeeper who survived the end of the world and sits outside the gates of the villain's castle, selling the most powerful equipment in the game, like nothing ever happened.
    Last edited by polokitty; 25th-February-2005 at 01:08.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Man
    in fact, i think super mario RPG is the only one without a cleshe.... (i donnu may be wrong, its been a while since i played that game)
    probably true. SInce it used the mario universe so the clciches weren't really there.

My personal favs are

Nostradamus Rule
    All legends are 100% accurate. All rumors are entirely factual. All prophecies will come true, and not just someday but almost immediately.

Fourth Law of Travel
    Three out of every four vehicles you ride on will eventually sink, derail or crash in some spectacular manner.

Wherever You Go, There They Are
    Wherever the characters go, the villains can always find them. Chances are they're asking the guy in the street (see above). But don't worry -- despite being able to find the characters with ease anytime they want to, the bad guys never get rid of them by simply blowing up the tent or hotel they're spending the night in. (Just think of it: the screen dims, the peaceful going-to-sleep-now music plays, then BOOM! Game Over!)

I Don't Like Gears Or Fighting
    There are always giant robots. Always.(xenogears baby!!)

Thanks

I dunno some are so basic that every rpg has it, like the one about how resting cures all ailments. Still Mario RPG has some cliches that arent so common.

18: Cronos Complaint
    22: Macgyver Rule

I just like the titles of some of em

Thanks
    EP Points

YES! This stuff ownz!

*MEGALOL*

Anyway, it's somewhat sad that someone could actually collect this many clich�s in CRPG games, all of them being true. I think RPG needs originality more than any other genre. Unforunately, that's exactly what *Your RPG series name here* part 42158 guarantees to fail.
    Last edited by pkt-zer0; 25th-February-2005 at 14:23.

Thanks

Cool link, and true.

Thanks

I almost swear I went on an rpg adventure once....but I was very sleep deprived, on a camping trip, and my cohort looked like a mage, staff and all. And most of those things mentioned would indeed have happened. I would have valiantly died for any girl I met 3 seconds ago. But then again...you would too if you were stuck in the woods with 2 other guys.
    All your 1's and 0's are belong to me

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i rememebr seeing the beginnings of this list quite a number of years ago. first time i saw it was when my gf pointed it out in middleschool. (note:im now out of HS) it certainly has gotten longer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, how true, how true. Most of these clich�s were already known by the players, but it's fun to see them summarized and all. I tell you, the ones called "Hey, I know you" 1-2-3 are the most surprising. I can tell an example for every single sentence that's listed there... well, almost. And that's pretty impressive, and sad. Let's face the fact, every kind of game has its weaknesses, I guess.

Thanks

Sad. I ALMOST read the entire thing until I looked at the scrollbar to my right. Funny shit, though. I wonder why I didn't look at this thread earlier.

Thanks

Yeah i was kinda worried people get turned off by the length of the list. I too was pretty shocked i found the thing years ago and it seems it was updated just last year.

Thanks

SO old. SO awesome. So who else has used one or more of the items on this list to hit on girls? Didn't think so.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸