Page 41 of 78 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast

Thread: what have you read recently?

Thanks

David Eddings is also very good though he repeated the same story twice in the Belgariad, he did provide some justification for that though
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Thanks

For those who like their heads messed with a little, John Gray's Straw Dogs is a great little book.
    Arthur Fowler is the best mod by a country mile.

Thanks

Finished reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman the other day, and Stardust by Neil Gaiman today (read it from start to finish in two days. Wooh.). Started on Neverwhere, also by Neil Gaiman. I've decided I like the guy.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegfried
    Finished reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman the other day, and Stardust by Neil Gaiman today (read it from start to finish in two days. Wooh.). Started on Neverwhere, also by Neil Gaiman. I've decided I like the guy.
    I didn't like the Discworld novel I read, I think it was Mort. What would you recomend to a Terry Pratchet n00b?
    Arthur Fowler is the best mod by a country mile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caerau
    I didn't like the Discworld novel I read, I think it was Mort. What would you recomend to a Terry Pratchet n00b?
    Mort was the last one I read, and I loved it to death (heh heh?)... Hm. I'd say try the first one (The Colour of Magic, I think?). If you don't like that, you have a rotten sense of humour and you're probably not going to like the rest of the series either. But, I believe Hangman pointed out in this very thread and not very long ago that Neil Gaiman's books were a bit like Terry Pratchett's, but darker. Might want to give them (and I really do recommend Good Omens and Stardust, they're both excellent tales wrapped in excellent humour and so on and so forth) a try.

Edit: Jimmy Onestroke, not Hangman. Like so:

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Onestroke
    I met Terry Pratchett. Twice.

Skinner, the other author is Neil Gaiman, whose work you should also look into. His work tends to be a lot more twisted and adult than Pratchett's. For example, American Gods is the closest he's written to a Discworld novel, with a story involving Gods in a contemporary setting. America, believe it or not. The reason it's darker than a Pratchett novel? The protagonist is prisoner who learns on the day of his release that his wife died in a car accident sucking another man's cock. So... not all that similar to Small Gods.

Oh, and I'm reading stuff.

Tom Sharpe - Wilt On High
    Tom Sharpe - Blott On The Landscape

Classy satire from a couple of decades ago which still manages to be offensive. Even better, it's overwhelmingly English, but not in a lame cockney way. Yay? Yay.
    Last edited by Skinner8; 19th-November-2004 at 14:22.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

i just finished reading Fight CLub.

yay!

get on your bikes and ride!

Thanks

The first draft of a really angst fic I started about two months ago. Now I'm all depressed.

Thanks

Finished Neverwhere, started American Gods! Huzzah!

Thanks

Hey!!Just finished War of the Spider Queen!!I quess drow arent that good after all....

Thanks

Just finished rereading Magician by Raymond E Feist and started Silverthorn yesterday, will then read a Darkness at sethanon. Never read the last 2 since the library never had them :`(

Bought them the other day sooo...

pretty much
    I am da geekness

Open Source rules

Thanks
    EP Points

we had to pick a fiction book to read for English class, so i read Hornet Flight by Ken Follett. it was a pretty good book. it was about the spy ring and the resistance to the Nazis during WWII.

Thanks

reading the odyssey, after watching countless remakes of odysseus' journeys on the tube I decided to read the original.
    Not that great in terms of prose but it is interesting in terms of how ancient greeks might have viewed the world and also good because I can impress the ladies at parties by saying, "aren't I the ducks nuts, I read homer's odyssey, do you want to sleep with me cause I'm smart and stuff?" gotta work better than "I horny we make bang bang?" that I normally use.
    blingo blango
    I want spamo
    with mayo
    by Anon

Thanks

Let's see... in the past week I finished reading Good Omens (Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett), Neverwhere (Gaiman), Howling Mad (Peter David), Battle Royale (Koushun Takami), and A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens).

Still reading: Sir Apropos of Nothing (Peter David) and The Adventures of Luther Arkwright (Bryan Talbot).

It was a slow week for me.

Thanks
    EP Points

The last book I read was The Scarlett Letter. Now I am reading Hiroshima and The Unvanquished.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger
    reading the odyssey, after watching countless remakes of odysseus' journeys on the tube I decided to read the original.
    Not that great in terms of prose but it is interesting in terms of how ancient greeks might have viewed the world and also good because I can impress the ladies at parties by saying, "aren't I the ducks nuts, I read homer's odyssey, do you want to sleep with me cause I'm smart and stuff?" gotta work better than "I horny we make bang bang?" that I normally use.
    we read that last year in english class. i couldn't stand it. it's so hard to understand what they are saying with how they talk.