Thread: HELP!!! Page File=1.5 GB

Thanks

Default HELP!!! Page File=1.5 GB

Yes, you read correctly. I am currently on my server, and my PF usage is currently at 1534 MB's. 182 Running Processes. But only 24 are viewable. I can only see the normal ones, like Explorer, msbb, lsqcet, and nvsvc32.

The server is running like a dog, and thats saying something for what it is. Here are the specs.

Pentium 3 450@504MHz
    192 MB RAM
    Network Bridge, 200 Mbps
    Windows XP Pro SP:2

I just upgraded to SP:2, and this happens. It took me 5 minutes to load up the MoZilla splash screen for crying out loud.

Does anyone have ANY clue as to what is causing this? I don't want to format it, its got alot of stuff on there that I can't backup right now (It's 11 o'clock here, and I'm out of CD-R's ).

Thanks
    EP Points

Msbb is spyware for a start. I'd wager that lsqcet is too... Virus and spyware scan.

Thanks

According to Giant Anti-Spyware, Msbb is a critical Microsoft Process, as well as lsqcet. They are both on my XP Home Machine as well, which I upgraded to SP:2 recently.

Virus scan is going now, SAV9 with latest virus definitions. I might find something that way.

Thanks
    EP Points

You should cut half of the process running there, msbb is not critical process (proof it's not running here). Yes it's windows process but not critical.
    Cut down the unuseful services, that may help run faster.
    Beware how it's written though, it shouldn't have any UPCASE characters. If it's written something like
    Msbb.exe
    MSBB.EXE
    msbb.EXE

It's spyware.

lsqcet seems like spyware to me.

And you said your using this as a home server? No permanent connection on the web? If there is no connection to the internet, cut down on the firewall and antivirus.
    You'll take less ressources, and if you do a scan each week you should be ok.

Thanks

try Ad-aware instead of Giant... i mean 182 processes god dayum....

Thanks

I don't have a permanent connection to the web, but when the internet is connected, it is the first safe guard against viruses and stuff. It monitors all the stuff going though to the rest of the network, and trys its best to stop viruses and stuff from getting to the rest of the network.

I rebooted the server, and I have 157 running processes now. It's a little better. It's stiull running like shit, but at least I can run a better virus and spyware scan on it to determine what the hell is wrong with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf
    I don't have a permanent connection to the web, but when the internet is connected, it is the first safe guard against viruses and stuff. It monitors all the stuff going though to the rest of the network, and trys its best to stop viruses and stuff from getting to the rest of the network.
    Then close anything unuseful when it's not connected, an open it only when needed.

157 processes, what the hell? You got prolly way too much dll's running in the background. Try to take small apps, not big ones which will take all your ressources.

Thanks

Ok, I been working on it all friggin day (18.5 Hours...) And I managed to bring the processes down to a more manageable 53. PF usage at a comfortable 653 MB. I'm gonna keep at it, I want to have it down to about 30 odd.

I found that most of the processes were Spyware programs that had gone out of control. I had at least 24 IST Toolbars running, let alone the 27 Purity Scans I had going off.

At least I can back up all my shit to another HDD, that way if I get the shits with it, its not a big issue to format the prick and be done with it.

Ziegfried Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf
    Yes, you read correctly. I am currently on my server, and my PF usage is currently at 1534 MB's. 182 Running Processes
    YOU ARE GOD.

Thanks
    EP Points

53 processes?

Got like 25 and it's loaded to hell with some BT and plenty of things going on.....
    I suggest you go see www.blackviper.com and disable all unecessary services. Now.