Thread: Competent system restore

Thanks

Default Competent system restore

Can someone recommend a good 3rd party system restore app? I used to use the win xp system restore but now it keeps getting crippled by malware. (Fucking ironic.)

Of course this begs the question, if windows system restore can be screwed by malware, what prevents that from happening to a 3rd party option...

Thanks
    EP Points

Why don't you just use the recvoery console to fix your system restore proggy using the Repair function that came with your windows xp cd?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    using the Repair function that came with your windows xp cd?
    Seconded. That little trick has gotten my ass out of the tightest spots on more times than I can count. Ie: tiny fuck-ups in the registry, corruption, accidental deletion of Windows components, and bunches of other problems that prevented my OS from booting properly... if at all. Just use your Windows (hopefully)XP CD.

Thanks

Default what next

Why don't you just use the recvoery console to fix your system restore proggy using the Repair function that came with your windows xp cd?
    I put the cd in, rebooted and went to the recovery console, but all it does is log me in to c:\windows, dos style. What am I supposed to do?

Thanks

Well, by using Recovery Console you'd have to know a few things; what is actually wrong with your system, and how to fix it. I've never been a fan of these 'system restore' applications, I'd prefer to search the internet for a solution and then try to fix the problem myself.

Thanks
    EP Points

Recovery console is a prompt style fixing app. Go search microsoft.com for hlep on the recovery console, youll find plenty of info.

Just last night, i fucked my master boot record, and the windows xp cd hgelped me out, ironic. Recovery console, than /fixmbr remade my mbr without the fuck all. I U M$

Thanks

3rd party stuff sucks, you can do a live cd, like bart pe, or that linux one...

Thanks

I went in there and ran fixmbr but it reported that there was something unusual about the boot record and if it proceeded my partition might be unreadable. So I stopped there. What was going on?

How do libraries and universities approach this? All I want is to set a save state that I can return to whenever malware starts fucking me.

Thanks

Recovery console is a prompt style fixing app. Go search microsoft.com for hlep on the recovery console, youll find plenty of info.

Just last night, i fucked my master boot record, and the windows xp cd hgelped me out, ironic. Recovery console, than /fixmbr remade my mbr without the fuck all. I U M$
    /fixmbr actually worked for you? Holy shit! I've tried that solution twice, but all it did was TOTALLY fuck my system, forcing me to pop in Tom's Root Boot and wipe the mbr.

I would use Ghost...It's VERY nice. Not quite the same. Just make an image of a configuration you're happy with. Whenever it get's fucked, you can restore right back to that point in time. Quite handy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    /fixmbr actually worked for you? Holy shit! I've tried that solution twice, but all it did was TOTALLY fuck my system, forcing me to pop in Tom's Root Boot and wipe the mbr.

I would use Ghost...It's VERY nice. Not quite the same. Just make an image of a configuration you're happy with. Whenever it get's fucked, you can restore right back to that point in time. Quite handy.
    I think I'll try ghost. Which version is preferred, 9.0 or 2003?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by master
    3rd party stuff sucks, you can do a live cd, like bart pe, or that linux one...
    Uh, aren't those 3rd party apps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dammit9x
    I think I'll try ghost. Which version is preferred, 9.0 or 2003?
    Hmm, I'm not sure actually, I don't even know what version I have. I can check when I get home though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, you can always Ghost your computer. I find it easier to do when you have a small server at home, instead of burning a cd or making a different partition you can host the files on the server and just request them when you want.

I would suggest Norton Ghost 9.0, good application and used before.
    There is couple more companies which gives you stuff like that, but Norton Ghost 9.0 stands clear from them for it's reliability and easy to use interface.