Thread: Networking Question

Thanks

Default Networking Question

I have a linksys wireles router that my whole family connects too. What I want to do is have the computers all networked so we can access eachothers shared folders. So I try the network wizard (I think thats what it is. I'm in Mandrake so I can't tell) and then I'm lost from there. But I keep going and get to the end and it wants me too make a cd to use for the pther pcs to get the network up...well it wants to burn it to my memory stick...not a cd...and I can't change it...Long story short how do I network our computers with a linksys wireless router...Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

What OSes are the other computers using? If you were all using Windows I could help. I don't know about cross OS sharing though if they all don't have linux.

Thanks

Sorry...I have a dual boot which is why I was talking about Linux...hehe...Two computers are running XP Home and 2 running proffesional...Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

well, after the wizard finishes, tell it not to make a disk. you only need the disk if you dont have an xp disk & are networking with a pre-xp version of windows
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

So I use the network wizard and then not make a disk then I put aan XP disk in the other computers...These are all laptops with it preinstalled and we only got recovery disks...are those the same thing...and what settings would I put for a wireless network in the network wizard...?

Thanks

As long as you got one disk with Win XP you shouldn't encounter any problems. All it wants to do is to copy certain protocols and such to XP. And about settings for the network you should confer with your manual for the wireless network and see what it says when it comes to WINXP.

Lucullus Salutes You!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

if theyre all running xp they shouldnt need disks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Uncle Evil Guest

yah if all of the computers are running some kind of windows XP you dont need any floppies or disks or anything just run the wizard on all the computers and it should work atleast thats how i do it lol