Thread: Frame rate problem with Xenosaga

Thanks

Default Frame rate problem with Xenosaga

I was wondering if there was any way to work around the frame rate issue of playing Xenosaga Episode I. The game loads fine, but beyond the initial cut scenes, the frame rate drops dramatically and the game starts stuttering. Are there particular settings I should follow for PCSX2 that will enable me to play it?

Thanks
    EP Points

well first off you should list your computer specs here, and the version of pcsx2 that you are using. The plugins you're currently using and the settings for them would also be helpful.

Thanks
    EP Points

And please post your PCSX2's emulator logs as well. (use the spoiler tag)
    vc3 released.

Thanks

I have an old Intel Core 2 Duo processor laptop 2.20 GHz, 4.00 GB ram, 32-bit with Windows 7. Also using the latest version of the standalone install that I downloaded off PCSX2's download section. As for the logs, I can't get my emulator running anymore. I'm currently having problems with my laptop recognizing my controller, so that's another issue. I'll just return to this when I've figured it out

Edit: I think I may have figured out why Xenosaga is running so slow. I tried playing Episode 3 and Kingdom Hearts 2 as well, and I experienced a frame rate drop/slow down in both games. My graphics card is an integrated Intel one, Mobile Intel GMA 4500M graphics to be specific. Are there any settings I should use to stabilize the frame rate?

PS. I don't have any plugins installed, except for that controller app developed by that Scarlet.Crush guy. Hope that helps =S
    Last edited by th3_bLy; 13th-January-2014 at 05:31.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay the first though that comes to my mind is.....how do you have no plugins for the emulator? The installer should've installed those as a basic part of installing pcsx2. I think its more likely that they are there and you just don't know which ones are currently set to be used. I didn't see a graphics card listed in your post, if your laptop doesn't have one that would definitely cause significant lag in pretty much all games with pcsx2.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 13th-January-2014 at 09:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by th3_bLy View Post
    I have an old Intel Core 2 Duo processor laptop 2.20 GHz, 4.00 GB ram, 32-bit with Windows 7. Also using the latest version of the standalone install that I downloaded off PCSX2's download section. As for the logs, I can't get my emulator running anymore. I'm currently having problems with my laptop recognizing my controller, so that's another issue. I'll just return to this when I've figured it out

Edit: I think I may have figured out why Xenosaga is running so slow. I tried playing Episode 3 and Kingdom Hearts 2 as well, and I experienced a frame rate drop/slow down in both games. My graphics card is an integrated Intel one, Mobile Intel GMA 4500M graphics to be specific. Are there any settings I should use to stabilize the frame rate?

PS. I don't have any plugins installed, except for that controller app developed by that Scarlet.Crush guy. Hope that helps =S
    The main reasons why those games are running at slow framerate is because of your laptop specs, having Intel Core 2 with integrated card won't give the speed you're expecting for,
    plus both KH and Xenosaga are demanding even on the high end specs.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...on-my-computer

Plugins is included with the installer, it should be inside the Plugins folder on your PCSX2 directory. If you don't have any, the emulator won't be able to run any games at all.

You can try enabling speedhack option, and make sure to enable Native resolution on GSDX setting.
    vc3 released.

Thanks

I wasn't sure what you meant at first about installed plugins, because I interpreted it as ones I've installed my self. But yea, I have all the default ones in the plugins folder I'll try out what you suggested though, thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Under "emulation settings" tab, there is a part for "speed hacks". At the bottom you'll see a box that says "preset", check that box, and it has options from 1-6. Higher options = more speed, but less precise emulation. It works good for systems with lower specs, but you aren't gonna get consistent 60fps playing Xenosaga on that laptop no matter what though. But this might help you out on some games though.

I did some testing, and the difference between 1 and 2, I get about a 20% FPS increase when I hit F4 to remove the FPS limit. And if you get a few spots where it drops to 50-55fps out of 60, turning the speed hacks up one notch might make the game run full speed 100% of the time.