Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Now do the same with games bought during 1988 as well as games bought during 1995.

I sense a pattern emerging.
    Butbutbut that doesn`t count
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    It's also known for the highest shovelware to decent game ratio this side of the CD-I, but who's counting?
    Is there some kind of special shovel controller I'm unaware of ?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Three more days until Party time!

Thanks

A good story

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heer View Post
    Win
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks

I miss bringing freinds round to play multiplayer games. Now everyone is online.
    I also miss the excitement and fun I experienced when playing a game for the first time. These days I don't feel it anymore.
    Gaming was just better back in the days of Mega Drive, PS1 and PS2 I think. Maybe it was just because I was younger.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What an awesome controller !

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

But that destroys a perfectly good Wii controller
    I can't believe I got the admins to give me a Sesame Street username.

Thanks

BEING YOUNG

Thanks

I can honestly say the console industry has gone a bit out of control. It's sad and enrages me. Games are distributed to all the consoles, plus or minus a few which remain exclusive, the DLC concept is complete and utter bullshit, and the competition aspect is just darn right vile these days. Games are hardly played for the sheer fact of fun, but for competition like your life depends on it. There was never any "gamerscore" or achievements to unlock to state who was the better gamer. Bragging rights were shared mutually and with respect and like someone said multiplayer was about inviting your friends over. Now there's no real interaction except for a microphone...When I play games with my friends I almost expect to fight them or myself from hitting the restart button, or taking the controller away for that extra bit of time to initiate a combo or find them within a level. With modern day console gaming it feels like that one joy I got as a child has been ripped from me. Sure some of the advances throughout the years have been fantastic, but the spirit of it all has been all but wiped out. A lot of my so called gamer friends when presented with some old school gamage, don't even want to play anymore. It's all about the graphics and see who can get the better score...Whatever happened to the fun? The gameplay? The enriching non gyping stories? To be honest, I hope console gaming falls, considering these days they're more like small computers, with internet access, music libraries and so on. I don't even consider them consoles anymore, because consoles did one thing and one thing only.

PLAYED FUCKING VIDJA GAMES!!!!

Thanks

Considering my age, most of this is what I can tell from the games themselves.
    What I miss was gambling with choice. I remember when I went to go buy Yoshi's story because my bro's friend had it and I thought it was awesome, when we got to the store my bro convinced me to buy Rayman 2 because his mates thought it was cool. Best decision I have ever made.
    Skill was more then something helpful, I've been trying to pass ninja gaiden and keep dying, and I love it. (Maybe I'm a masochist?)
    Simplicity, man the games from the 90s and back were simple, yet so much fun! (Gameplay wise, story is not so simple. And I'd think older games had the best story.)
    Time, I cannot begin to tell you how many games I have passed within the week I bought them, and the ones I haven't were because of neglectance.
    Updates, if a game had glitches or bugs, the games were classified as shit or they were exploited like hell.
    Carts, as opposed to nowadays where the games are on disks, the carts were awesome, I miss the few remaining years of the N64 (I was born the same year as the 64 hence remaining) where my bro'd buy a game then we'd get the cart and put it in an old suitcase and throw away the box because we didn't need it, if we did that now we'd break the games. The game screwing up pretty much says to buy a new copy, but for a cart: blow it.
    And lasting appeal/replayability/challenges, older games needed more game play appeal because they wanted fun games, not necessarily games that look fantastic, but were fun, (I mean I gave EarthBound a go and passed it three times within the first few months, something which normally takes me years to accomplish due to lack of interest) then when is game was released, many people would make self imposed challenges such as speed runs and the like, opposed to trophies and achievements where they tell you what to do. "sure you can finish the game fast as possible, sure you can beat the final boss at level ten, but we won't reward you for it, now go collect twenty bear asses and give them to three people from each town so when you play with random people you'll never meet again, you can boast about how you got a shiny note saying you've only done things we've told you to do without mentioning all the other things you've done." Sure the old games aren't much better, but at least it was optional and didn't give those people with OCD the shits by tempting them and not letting them go untill they've done pointless stuff like play for fourteen hours straight!

I liked when people didn't make fun of me for playing sonic the hedgehog. lol
    I once wore a sonic shirt to school. My mates were calling me a kid all the way untill I left.

If you were born pre 90's but grew up playing 90's games, chances are you're going to have a stronger connection with games from that era than games coming out today. You may not realize it, but you possess a bias towards what you think a game should be. If you don't see that coming out in modern day, you probably won't like it. Even if the game is good for other reasons.
    The GameCube came out when I was six, I think the SNES is one of the best systems out there. (Admittidly I think the PS2 is also fantastic and it was the first console I owned myself.)
    Last edited by PSIcho; 15th-May-2011 at 12:52.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Please don't revive threads that are more than one month old.