Thread: MAMEUIFX and controller problems I can't wrap my head around

Thanks
    EP Points

Default MAMEUIFX and controller problems I can't wrap my head around

This is an odd one if I've ever seen odd.
    I use my DualShock 4 as my main PC Controller, not only is it an excellent controller but a fantastic replacement for the mouse and basic keyboard function when i play on the HDTV in the living room far from the computer.
    I use DS4Windows and keep the DualShock itself hidden making it fully appear as a 360 controller.
    That's all nice and good and works like a charm with every game and software I've tried...except MAMEUIFX.

I'm going to try and be as clear as possible and hopefully someone will know how to fix this problem because it prevents me from playing on my HDTV and that's NOT what i installed MAME for, i don't want to play this stuck on my computer.

1. MAMEUIFX disables my controller almost completely as soon as I run a game even if I turn off Joystick support. Meaning even the keyboard functions I have mapped to it do not work with the exception of Alt+tab.

2. I made a new MAME profile, gave it its own light color and mapped my DS4 as follos:
    - Arrow keys to the DPad - normal for my keyboard/mouse profile
    - Star - Enter - again normal for my keyboard/mouse profile
    - Home Button - Tab
    - Share Button - key 1 - player 1 start
    - R3 - key 5 - Coin 1
    - X, Square, Triangle and O - Space, Ctrl, Alt

This should work fine, but it doesn't and I'm completely stumped, I don't know what to do or how to make it work and I need it to work. I can map controller buttons if I enable Joystick support but I'm not happy with how that works, I need my extra keyboard functions and what not.
    I've never seen a program able to detect that the controller isn't actually a keyboard before when mapped as one.

My standard mouse+keyboard profile I use for navigation on my TV doesn't work either in-game, everything works on the menu/main window/select game screen whatever it's called.

Apparently it also disabled JoyToKey
    again, never seen a program do this before

Specs:
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
    MAMEUIFX 0.165

this stuff is irrelevant in this case but whatever:
    i7 3820
    16GB RAM
    GTX680 2GB
    Last edited by ShinigamiKiba; 27th-August-2015 at 08:12.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try pressing Tab in game and then configure the controls there

Joy2Keys ect should still work though, also it is not needed for MAME anyway

If it is still not working just try another Port of MAME like the original MAMEUI or even the 32bit versions as I have noticed bugs in the 64bit version that the 32bit version did not have one was just having cheats enabled prevented a few games from running in the 64bit version.

You can also try and remove all the config files mostly the global ones and start again settings wise anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally I configured my pad like that but for whatever reason upon quitting MAMEUIFX my control settings were reverted back to the default settings which was extremely annoying, it did work for a while then it reverted back on its own and that's why i wanted to do this.

DS4Windows works just like JoytoKey, but for me neither work once i start a game, I'll give the 32bit version a try, hope that has HLSL too.

I got the 32Bit version and have the same problem, please please help me fix this
    If you say it works for you then there has to be something i can do to get it to work right for me as well.
    I always run into weird ass computer problems nobody can fix so i'd really appreciate it if someone here can fix this for me

My controls keep getting reset, this makes it IMPOSSIBLE for me to play MAME on my living room TV where I play all my games on, literally impossible.
    Like for whatever random reaosn MAME crashed just now, it had saved the controls before mind you, I set them again, quit, reloaded and it saved fine, everything was there. A game just now crashed and lo and be fucking hold my controls are reverted to the defaults but all other UI changes stick.

I absolutely MUST be able to use the controller as a keyboard with this program, no other way around it.

edit: NO DICE! MAMEUI is the same shit

welp, after going through all sorts of obscure posts on google I seem to have located the problem and a solution I'm not capable of doing myself.

Turns out, MAME can't read input from virtual keyboard/controller programs like joytokey and in my case also DS4Winodws because of the way it reads keyboard strokes apparently. Supposedly there is a way to fix this, you need to change a single line of code but to do that you have to recomplie the whole thing and what not, stuff i neither want to do nor am capable of doing.

Now my only solution is to see what I can do so my controls don't reset themselves after a crash, once i get that sorted out I should be fine.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-August-2015 at 15:37.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Talk about spamming your own thread

Double posting is not something we like to see, use edit post

Just set the pad up without Joy2keys or any alt, like I said you do not need anything like that

Setup in game via the tab menu (make sure that the setup is the general controls not just for one game) quit the game then the emulator then load it all back up

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

So sorry I spammed man, it was completely unintentional, I'm used to posting on GameFAQs and ETI and it just came so naturally to me, I had no intention to spam or draw more attention to the topic than needed, I simply am too used to posting on those types of forums is all. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

Setting up the controller as I said through the in-game menu is all nice and good, but ever so often the settings reset dunno why they just do so it would have been much easier if I could just map the default keyboard keys to the controller and have them always working, seems that's impossible.

Again I did not mean to spam, far from it, I'm just used to different style of posting from different type of forums