Thread: I don't know what I'm doing, help please? (Timestalkers on NullDC)

Thanks

Default I don't know what I'm doing, help please? (Timestalkers on NullDC)

So it's been a very long, long time since I've gotten emulators set up. I seem to have forgotten how. I'm trying to get NullDC working. I'm using NullDC 1.0.4
    I downloaded Timestalkers, one of my favorites. I'm also using 7z as my RAR program opening thing if that matters.

Inside the Time Stalkers folder are these 6 RAR files

timestalk.part01
    timestalk.part1
    timestalk.part02
    timestalk.part2
    timestalk.part03
    timestalk.part3

I tried to launch the game with NullDC by looking in the Timestalkers folder, but it's looking for elf/bin files, and I have no idea what either of those are.
    The next step I figured was to open these RARs and see if there's something in them all that I need to extract.
    Each RAR file contains a file called "timstalk.cdi", and I figured if I extract them all, it'd be worthless because they all have the same name (but different file sizes).
    I tried extracting them just for the hell of it because I have no better idea. When I try to extract all of them, all it does is give me 2 unzipped folders. One named timestalk.part01 and timestalk.part1

I'm sure I'm just missing steps, but I have no idea what I have to do to get the game to work with NullDC. Can any veterans help me out, please?

Thanks

Looks like their all a rar part file. you grab all of the pieces in one folder then extract them. You should then receive a full CD Image.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean. All these RAR files are inside of a folder that is already unzipped.
    I started with a Timestalkers.RAR file, which I then extracted to my games folder. That gave me an unzipped Time Stalkers folder which contains those 6 rars

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lapis554 View Post
    When I try to extract all of them, all it does is give me 2 unzipped folders. One named timestalk.part01 and timestalk.part1
    So what is in these 2 unzipped folders?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

a cdi image is exactly what you want

first right click on whatever you first downloaded and hit extract to... and create a new folder for it to extract to
    second open the folder you made and extracted that to and right click on the first file and hit extract here

this should if everything went ok give you a single cdi image

NullDC use the File>Normal Boot option, it will then prompt you to open a CDI image

the File>Open bin/elf option is not for running retail games or rips but for more testing compiled Dreamcast exec files in bin or elf format (those are not disc images)

P.S. you will also require a bios set to run NullDC

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Seems I finally got it working thanks to the walkthrough you gave Zorlon. Thanks! Only problem now is that when I run the game, i just get a Dreamcast media player option instead of getting to play the game (it thinks the "disc" is a music disc). Does this mean this version of Time Stalkers is broken?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like it is not a Mil-CD so can't boot on it's own, try one of the ones from http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...st-Master-List instead

The only way to boot a game that is not Mil-CD (aka not selfboot) is via a real Dreamcast using the Utopia CD that acts like a boot CD so not much good for emulation

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR