Thread: Newbie - MAME .160 and ROM help

Thanks

Wink Newbie - MAME .160 and ROM help

Hi, I'm new to emu and have downloaded mame.160 from EP. I also downloaded some ROMs that are for .160, put them in the ROMS folder, but the games don't play. What am i doing wrong? Sorry, if this has been asked before.

Thanks Melissa.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melissa_newbie View Post
    Hi, I'm new to emu and have downloaded mame.160 from EP. I also downloaded some ROMs that are for .160, put them in the ROMS folder, but the games don't play. What am i doing wrong? Sorry, if this has been asked before.

Thanks Melissa.
    I've read some say that using MAMEuifx works right from the get go. I don't know yet, I haven't tried it; but, I've d/l it and will try tomorrow or Monday. You might want to check that out.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A wild guess would be you are missing extra required roms, that getting an alt version of MAME would never help with

Games come as (all are stored in the roms folder)
    Parent Rom (This has all the rom chips dumped) Keep that is zip format, do not extract
    Sub roms (alt versions but only has what is different to the Parent rom) Keep that is zip format, do not extract
    Bios rom (contains the bios chips used be certain hardware e.g. Neo-Geo games all use the Neo-Geo bios) Keep that is zip format, do not extract
    CHD (These are dumps of HDD drives CD-Roms and other media that is not a rom chip, not all games use CHD's) these should not be zipped but kept in a folder matching the parent rom zip name for that game

There can be extra files also but those are not required

In our downloads section every game that needs extra files will have just under the download To use this ROM with MAME you also need to download the following parent ROM

There it will tell you if you need the Parent Rom, also if you select a Parent rom that may also have the above stated but for a Bios or CHD file

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

might need bios packs? not sure if they come with the set? after downloading a neo geo set from here that also doesn't work, i'm tempted to say download from somewhere else lol but before downloading another 50gb make sure roms are in roms folder and you've set the correct path to roms in mame settings,
    some versions of mame tell you what is missing and you can just type the code in google search and find it somewhere. . . . . . .

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

don't bother with packs most are out of date you are best just to grab the bios rom you need instead of grabbing a pack

problem with out of date packs is that MAME changes the bios dumps as new better dumps are done with every MAME release, same goes for game roms

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    A wild guess would be you are missing extra required roms, that getting an alt version of MAME would never help with
    There it will tell you if you need the Parent Rom, also if you select a Parent rom that may also have the above stated but for a Bios or CHD file
    I'm having a different issue, and ended up trying MAME. I was reminiscing with a friend when they said, there existed a rom copy of an old C64 game here. I went, and think I found it and knowing nothing. Downloaded C64 emulator, and the rom. It turns out the rom is a .nib file. Reminds me of nibbler; but, iNet says IOS compression, and I think it could be none of the above, but don't know. Either way, I tried the C64 emulator, and MAME, nothing worked; but, the C64 emulator did recognize the format enough to try and run the game, but it didn't run, it just showed a few blobs, and that was it.

This is embarrassing to discover I know nothing about all of this; and yet I used to work with C64 code, and all kinds of hacks and cracks. Yet, I'm oblivious. So, if you, or anyone, could help; I'd sure appreciate it. You can explain at a very high tech level, I understand the concept of emulators; never used one. I've developed all kinds of stuff, and have forgotten more programming languages than I currently remember.

So, first.... related to emulators, what's a .nib file. Since the c64 legacy emulator recognized it well enough to 'try' and autorun the file, and it appeared to try and run, before locking up. (not my machine, just the emulator). I guessing I should try some more conventional roms, just to make sure I'm doing right; but, my heart was set on this game :-(

Thanks ahead of time for your consideration. It's much appreciated!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Create a new thread on your subject this one is not related to your issue at all

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]