Thread: WIN10, yay or nay?

Thanks

Default WIN10, yay or nay?

I'm thinking of upgrading my operating system to Windows 10, but having a ton of emulators, hack tools, etc., does anyone know what the differences are going to be like? Will we be still free? It looks a bit questionable.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Stay away, STAY FAR AWAY.

Seriously though stick with Win 7.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Why the fear? I need to know why because I am very tempted to get it. Is it because the emulators are not compatible for it and we have to wait for an update on the emulators or what?

Thanks
    EP Points

No it's because he believes everything is a platform for people to spy on you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kstout6 View Post
    Why the fear? I need to know why because I am very tempted to get it. Is it because the emulators are not compatible for it and we have to wait for an update on the emulators or what?
    No fear, common sense and a vast amount of articles and programmers telling me why you do not want it, as the saying goes "free doesn't come cheap"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    No it's because he believes everything is a platform for people to spy on you.
    No you drunkard use your damn brain.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

It depends really. If you play (or plan to play) newer PC games I would recommend upgrading if possible, specifically for the improvements to WDDM (better performance in a lot of PC games), and DX12 once games start being built to take advantage of it (again, more performance gainz, and eventually all new PC games will require DX12). It's also supposed to be the last major Windows release with future upgrades just being built on top of it, which is nice. There are some games in particular that have issues running on Win8/10 (Fallout 3 comes to mind), but so far the vast majority of my PC games (and all of my emulators) have worked fine on 10.

All that said, Win7 will still be receiving security updates up through 2020, so as far as that's concerned you'd be okay sticking with 7 for the time being if you'd like. Just keep in mind you will have to upgrade eventually unless you plan on switching to a Mac OS or Linux by then, and after July 29th 2016 it won't be a free upgrade.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 8th-August-2015 at 23:05.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    No fear, common sense and a vast amount of articles and programmers telling me why you do not want it, as the saying goes "free doesn't come cheap"

No you drunkard use your damn brain.
    Good point. However, I still would like to know what I would be "paying" for the update. I like Win 7. (Esp. after the disastrous Vista, I a held out from Win 8.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kstout6 View Post
    Good point. However, I still would like to know what I would be "paying" for the update. I like Win 7. (Esp. after the disastrous Vista, I a held out from Win 8.)
    Doesn't it strike you odd that microsoft is pushing win 10 so hard?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I'll be upgrading a PC from win8.1 to 10 very soon (not my own). I've done some investigating, I may have to install Classic Shell (free) and possibly do some tweaking (like what's needed for 8.1) to set it up to be more like 7.

As for emus; I don't and won't know about that, this system won't be used for games. Kids won't even be touching it for some time afaik.

My main concern atm is if Office 2007 will work ok on it as I've read some conflicting info about that (not my decision, that's what they've been using for some time and they want it on the new system if humanly possible). Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

It does seem a little odd that M$ is pushing 10 for free, but given that ever since Vista they've had various OS dramas that haven't been good for reputation maybe they decided this was a good way to at least attempt to improve rep Speculation.

Spoiler warning: