Page 25 of 268 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skype-Out: Nothing butt sex. Or so they say.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think I just scared the shit out of a chick walking down the street. She's walking the way I'm coming and is located where I do an U turn to park st my dads. I do it quick, pull over, and sot in my car for a while. I get out and noticed she turned away. Lmao.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Scots Gaelic word for "small" is "beag". That's not confusing at all.
    Same in Irish, is it also pronounced bee-ug?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    Same in Irish, is it also pronounced bee-ug?
    Yep. Think a lot of the two languages is more or less the same.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep. Think a lot of the two languages is more or less the same.
    Which means that I'm getting two not particularly useful languages for the price of one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Scottish Gaelic is a development of Irish Gaelic so it's no surprise that there are similarities.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Scottish Gaelic is a development of Irish Gaelic so it's no surprise that there are similarities.
    Yeah, they have common roots in Middle Irish, so everything's pretty similar.

Thanks
    EP Points

Like other closely related languages it's accent that tends to be the toughest thing to deal with...shit regional dialects within a single language are bad enough anyway

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Which means that I'm getting two not particularly useful languages for the price of one.
    Hey now

Spoiler warning:
    It's very true

I swear, if the Irish government removed the requirement for Irish as a mandatory language in school Irish would do a lot worse than it currently is. There's very little practical incentive for people to learn it since nobody uses it, Spanish, French & German on the other hand are spoken frequently in their countries but Irish not so much. It's in such a bad state that it's a little like a sick person on life support.

Thanks
    EP Points

Like other closely related languages it's accent that tends to be the toughest thing to deal with...shit regional dialects within a single language are bad enough anyway
    Haha, yeah, I remember my Chinese teacher saying a similar thing about people from other parts of China learning Mandarin. Grammar and pronunciation-wise it's fine because there are so many similarities, but you get some really unusual accents out of it unless particular attention is paid to the differences. She said she frequently passes on the phone for a Chinese person not because her Chinese accent is hugely exceptional, but simply because so many Chinese people don't sound like natives accent-wise when they speak Mandarin.

I'm not that fussed about perfect accents though, to be honest. When it's actively impeding communication or you're outright mispronouncing things and butchering the language it's another matter, but so long as I'm pronouncing everything correctly, speaking with proper intonation and not placing stress in weird places, I don't mind if I don't sound 100% like a native speaker. Still do my best, mind, but I figure it doesn't bother me when foreign friends here speak with slightly accented English, so it's not something I need to worry about too much.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadar View Post
    Hey now

Spoiler warning:
    It's very true

I swear, if the Irish government removed the requirement for Irish as a mandatory language in school Irish would do a lot worse than it currently is. There's very little practical incentive for people to learn it since nobody uses it, Spanish, French & German on the other hand are spoken frequently in their countries but Irish not so much. It's in such a bad state that it's a little like a sick person on life support.
    Yeah, you can make a language mandatory, but you'll struggle to be able to force its usage unless you outright ban any alternative, or there's a really practical use in having it as a second language. I think Chinese schools pushing Mandarin as the state language has been semi-successful because there was no mutually intelligible tongue in Chinese and everyone spoke radically different dialects. It made real practical sense to people for them to learn and use this language. I think it would take a similar situation in Scotland, Wales or Ireland for a whole generation of kids to take their education in the local languages seriously. And since most everyone already speaks English, I don't see that ever happening. I support the spread of Scots Gaelic and am learning it myself because the idea of such a huge part of this country's culture and history dying out is kind of sad to me and I'd like to be a part of keeping it alive. But realistically I can't see it going any further than Irish or Welsh have. And even that is doubtful given how few speakers there were out there to begin with.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep, my eldest niece had a Chinese boyfriend for a while. The things he said about some regions of China was pretty funny...like most people in big cities don't go near most rural areas simply because they can't understand anything the locals are saying If you think about how huge that place is it doesn't seem so odd though.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep, my eldest niece had a Chinese boyfriend for a while. The things he said about some regions of China was pretty funny...like most people in big cities don't go near most rural areas simply because they can't understand anything the locals are saying If you think about how huge that place is it doesn't seem so odd though.
    Yeah, there's so much diversity between regions in pretty much everything. Climate, food, customs, language, scenery... It's closer in many ways to several smaller countries joined in a union than it is one big unified country.

Thanks
    EP Points

I support the spread of Scots Gaelic and am learning it myself because the idea of such a huge part of this country's culture and history dying out is kind of sad to me and I'd like to be a part of keeping it alive. But realistically I can't see it going any further than Irish or Welsh have. And even that is doubtful given how few speakers there were out there to begin with.
    It's possible Scots and Irish Gaelic might end up being mostly academic, even if dual language signs etc are still all over the place. It is kind of sad but there are historical reasons why those languages have ended up in their current state.
    Certain indigenous languages are dying in other places too, I would guess plenty have died off here but at least there has always been a tradition of oral history...although plenty of tribes simply don't exist now. Pretty much all indigenous people that are still here have European blood mixed in at some point.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, there's so much diversity between regions in pretty much everything. Climate, food, customs, language, scenery... It's closer in many ways to several smaller countries joined in a union than it is one big unified country.
    Well it was a whole lot of small countries before unification by the first emperor and I guess plenty of the rural areas haven't progressed as rapidly as other parts of the world.
    Not saying that Asia is a backward place though...certain times in history Asia, India and even middle eastern countries were scientifically and culturally more advanced than the west.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Kinda wish I knew how to speak/read Gaelic , Irish roots & all that.

Million times better than having spanish as a secondary language.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.