Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could a chinese gba knockoff with sd slot be a possible portable emulator? E-COM VCP3008

Thanks
    EP Points

wow, there seems to be a million verities of r4 cards.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

r4 clones or do you mean DS Flash cards as a whole?

I've owned many a DS flash card and most are garbage, Supercard has never let me down though.

They are pretty hard to come by now because of online shops shutting down and supercard halting production to make the new Supercard DSTwo Plus.

Edit: scratch that, seems the DSTwo is back in production .- Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by Warrior; 26th-July-2015 at 22:02.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Last 2 cards I got are older R4 (but not actually R4), one I got given to me for nothing without a micro SD card and the other came with a bundle of stuff I bought (DS lite, charger, some games and a carry bag).

I was looking at some used 3DS consoles on ebay recently and noticed one with some games and a DSTWO card.

The hard thing to find is a DS card/GBA cart combo (for me anyway as I never bothered grabbing such a thing when they were widely available).

Edit:
    Ok I checked out my favourite local modchip supplier and the DSTWO is back in stock All the slot 2 devices are still unavailable and have been that way for some time
    Last edited by deadlegion; 26th-July-2015 at 23:18.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try looking for the EZ-Flash IV MicroSD that is actually a new card as previous versions had been mini sd only, it had a cosmetic make over also so is now blue instead of the previous white frosty design

EZ-Flash IV Micro SD is going to be the easy one to find
    With the other cards having fakes you will not know if the card you go for is going to be a real one or not so the EZ-Flash IV Micro SD is also the safe option

3 in 1 carts are very good by the way very little can not be done with those, GBA DS interaction can also work with a bit of effect e.g. some DS games can use GBA save data in the DS counterparts to unlock extra's, though so can cheat codes anyway

If I have the cash any time after my wedding I will be going firstly for a Dreamcast USB GD Drive, then 4 GBA flash kits but that is more for actual GBA's though that I have 5 GBA SP's anyway, not sure why I have 5 unless one stopped working but 4 player options are in some games and in some GameCube games controlled via GBA's

P.S. I am possibly one of the few that had the original R4 kit and to be honest at the time it was the best kit along with the M3 kit even then the R4 was a clone of M3, the hardware was exactly the same except for one point that could be cut or joined to convert one to the other, good flash kits have come a long way since then though and yes there are tons and tons of R4 kits now

My R4, M3 Lite (GBA cart via Micro SD), EZFA 256MB (not to be confused with EZ Flash devices) all got stolen with my original silver DS and my first DS Lite (white) I still have a DS Passme though for some reason, not much use nower days but let you play DS games from a GBA flash kit with an official DS game in the Passme device, used the DS game to save with, not great but was one of the first methods for the DS
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2015 at 13:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Can't get EZ-Flash IV here, it's sold out.
    Last I read about that (elsewhere) was a few months back and apparently the only places you could get it (possibly 1 or 2 places) you needed to use a credit card.

I prefer buying my modchip etc stuff from reputable local sellers, unless of course something is used and bundled with a load of other things (ebay or whatever).

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

EZ-Flash IV sold out a long time ago it's the new card EZ-Flash IV MicroSD that is now available but that will only be online I would of thought.

I have not seen a retail store in recent years sell flash kits of any kind last time was well not sure how long back but well over 5 years possibly closer to 10 years back or longer and even then they had been in market stalls rather than actual shop shops and the odd buy & sell shops that had no idea what they had.

a few phone type shops did get then in not long after R4 re-appeared (cloned) but then the UK law came down heavy on R4 branded cards followed by any and all cards and put a stop to that almost as quickly as they started to go on sale as wide as they did for that short time, now no one stores them in the UK not openly anyway if any still do.

I know that the cards are perfectly legal as far as I can tell it is the games that are not if you do not own the official cart blah blah blah
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2015 at 14:06.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

We have local stores here for modchips/modded consoles/accessories. The one I mostly use is in Melbourne, but I usually use the online store instead of actually going there (100km or so trip).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

"r4" was a brand category on one of the sites I looked at, came up with 3 pages of results compared to other flashcards with half of one, r4i, purple and gold, and platinum, a million results from less then $10 to expensive and not many obvious differences, some bundled with card readers.

I keep reading "local" and thinking how I can't even get the bolts I need from my local Home-depot let alone anything game related. The only thing I can do locally is hope for stuff to show up at goodwill, recently some ps2 guitars showed up, one bearing the Fender name and looked much more complicated/realistic then the guitar hero models, might be worth the $5. Apparently a rockband guitar, can't seem to find a price on them that isn't for the xbox or ps3
    Last edited by scrapjack; 28th-July-2015 at 01:20.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Personally I would not go for an R4 kit unless that is your only option

For 3DS hardware compat you want a Supercard DSTWO or from the R4 kits R4i Gold 3DS revisions 9,A & C (There is more than 1 version of Revision C only one works) or R4iDSN 3DS revisions 9,A & C (There is more than 1 version of Revision C only one works) [Those are still DS flash kits not 3DS flash kits]

Worldwide most local stores do not deal with new mod chips or flash cards due to legal crackdowns (some in recent years it was not so long back that a ton of online stores got removed or removed there stock of mod chips and flash kits) that is not to say all countries though, that has been made obvious by deadlegion, you will be lucky if you find a second hand store selling consoles with those included

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

You get the odd card bundled with consoles on ebay here too. They don't blatantly advertise the fact in the item listing, you just need to read carefully and look closely at the pics.
    Used cards aren't terribly difficult to find, but just about any card in production (including Gateway/SKY3DS) can be bought new through a domestic store here. It's just the slot 2 carts that are really rare used, and impossible to buy new here atm.

Spoiler warning: