Thread: Bought a second hand soft modded wii with v4.2U but want to upgrade

Thanks

Default Bought a second hand soft modded wii with v4.2U but want to upgrade

Hey I bought this wii that was already soft modded and the version is 4.2U. The problem is it seems to only play older burned games. I can't play the new ones that I burned onto a cd like New Super Mario Bros(I'm using CD's because it doesn't seem to detect my USB drive for some reason). It detects that it's New Super Mario Bros, it shows the graphics, I hit start and it just takes me back to the main menu. Im thinking I should upgrade to v4.3U to see if that lets me play the newer games. What is the best method to upgrade to softmodded v4.3U without bricking my system. Keep in mind that I have no idea how the previous owner softmodded the Wii. Thanks

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did you have the USB in port 0?

its the usb port closest to the bottom.

Regarding upgrading the CFW, if you are overwriting system files on the wii if the power goes out say hello to a new doorstop .

I suggest you talk to people who really know what they are doing and use pimp my wii, it will fully fix/update the wii but remember talk to people who know what they are talking about because you can brick the system if you screw up.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Did you have the USB in port 0?

its the usb port closest to the bottom.

Regarding upgrading the CFW, if you are overwriting system files on the wii if the power goes out say hello to a new doorstop .

I suggest you talk to people who really know what they are doing and use pimp my wii, it will fully fix/update the wii but remember talk to people who know what they are talking about because you can brick the system if you screw up.
    I tried both ports on the back and... nothing. Does it matter what format the USB is in? Could it be possible that the method the original owner used to softmod the wii didn't allow you to detect USB?

Thanks for your help.

Also I just noticed that the burned CDs that the seller gave me are DVD+R and they work for the most part. I'm using DVD-R and they don't seem to work. Could that be it?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-July-2015 at 01:15. Reason: merged posts

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deucex403 View Post
    I tried both ports on the back and... nothing. Does it matter what format the USB is in? Could it be possible that the method the original owner used to softmod the wii didn't allow you to detect USB?

Thanks for your help.
    It could be a few factors I guess but mainly depending on the loader it should be in WBFS, you need to use WBFS manager and convert the game over to the USB device, it will format the USB flash/HDD to WBFS format so only the wii and WBFS manager can read it.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Burn to the same media as the ones you were given that already work. Although just using the DVD drive all the time will mean it will stop working at some point (maybe the laser is already on it's way out as you seem to indicate some games you got with the console only sometimes work?).

As for USB Warrior might be right, maybe it's an old setup and you need to use wbfs idk possible cios issue(s) too.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Burn to the same media as the ones you were given that already work. Although just using the DVD drive all the time will mean it will stop working at some point (maybe the laser is already on it's way out as you seem to indicate some games you got with the console only sometimes work?).

As for USB Warrior might be right, maybe it's an old setup and you need to use wbfs idk possible cios issue(s) too.
    Ah man, whats with these new systems that burn out so quickly. We've got NES that still work decades later.

The guy I bought the system off of had like 50 burned discs and some of them work and some of them don't. Older games like Mario Galaxy work perfectly and newer ones like Donkey Kong country don't, even though they are all on DVD+R. I just get the error "Disc is unreadable".

Can you tell me what WBFS means? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I don't know much about softmod related stuff tbh. My Wii has WODE and the external HDD I use with it is NTFS formatted.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Depending on how dated the loader is depends on what it can read older loaders could only read WBFS sysytem formatted drives but this is way in the past

You can read WBFS, NTFS & Fat32 with updated loaders best to format to Fat32 with 32k clusters though to give overall higher compat EaseUS Partition Master - Home Edition can do that with ease, it is free software

A WBFS Manager is still the best method to copy Wii games over to the USB HDD drive (P.S. again you do not need to format the drive in WBFS format in-fact recommend against doing that and go for Fat32 with 32k clusters as previously stated to get compat with other stuff asides from Wii Games that work fine from Fat32/32k clusters but in WBFS file format more just to save space than anything else)

once you have updated the loader that may be listed as Wip Beta or svn releases if you provide info on the USB loader of choice we can determin what the best version of the load is to use

https://code.google.com/p/modmii/downloads/list is well worth looking at the can be used to mod a Wii or update the mod used

other stuff we can cover later, but it is a good idea to run ModMii regardless on the Wii and dump the nand while you are at it that is both used to restore it if anything bad should happen to the mod and can also be used to create a virtual nand to play other stuff directly from USB HDD (don't confuse that with USB flash drives) that is faster than the SD slot and the DVD drive

other stuff includes GameCube games Wii channel games Emulators ect all from USB HDD, the lag free method and fastest loadtimes
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-July-2015 at 07:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

If I were to connect a USB thumbdrive, how would it show on the Wii? I don't see anything beside the SD symbol in the bottom left, and there is no channel for the USB thumbdrive either.

Thanks
    EP Points

Before trying to do anything make sure you have Bootmii installed and get yourself a Nand Backup. I used ModMii to upgrade my softmodded wii not just the official firmware but all the CIOS that I needed too.
    My username is the key to my downloads

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deucex403 View Post
    If I were to connect a USB thumbdrive, how would it show on the Wii? I don't see anything beside the SD symbol in the bottom left, and there is no channel for the USB thumbdrive either.
    Use ModMii before you do anything else (it will give you a USB Loader forwarding channel aswell as a basic loader of your choice while setting up your ModMii options) I recommend against USB flash storage though that thumb drives are, though you can use that for now until you can get yourself a USB HDD I can give you some extra fixes for using a thumb drive but that is not ideal and best to just not use that or use it for now just without the fixes, should work for plenty as is without the extra fix, up to you though if you want to install extra fixes for USB flash storage devices

I use USB Loader GX, but others may use other loaders like Configurable Loader or WiiFlow again that is up to you there are a few loaders now, the one I like some do find it a little complicated though, though I can't see it but I am one of those that can find my way round most things so could just be my perception of it, some of the other loaders are more user friendly for setting them up at least, once set up they are all easy to use though

chances are if this had/has a USB loader currently though it will be located inside the homebrew channel
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-July-2015 at 08:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR