Thread: Help exploiting my original xbox

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Help exploiting my original xbox

I was looking for a way to do that I own an IDE/SATA computer but I only have a dvd SATA drive.
    At first, using the linux cd to exploit it seemed to work fine but after typing xbrowser I got a lot of errors.

I followed the steps both pc and xbox turned on, I caused the error to "safely" detach the IDE port from my xbox, then connected my xbox drive on the free IDE port while it is still powered by the console or whatever, yet I got errors.

So my Xbox is still fine but unmodded.

I don't have the money to get it modded besides I really wanted to do it myself, because it looked kind off easy.
    I guess I need an IDE drive in order to do that.... or maybe someones knows a better way to do it that doesn't include:a modded usb port, original splinter cell game and hacked saves or using another modded xbox because all those options are discarded.... because I don't have money... I gotta be honest money is an issue for me.

I haven't tried to play with the pc settings like IDE compatibily or so.

Please if someone can help me I'll be grateful.
    Last edited by aspinia; 6th-July-2015 at 22:22.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The exploit you are trying to use is the only option without a game/game save exploit though Splinter Cell is not the only game that can be used

having another modded console does not really help all that much to be honest

I don't remember changing any IDE settings in the olde PC bios or anything, though I only used that to upgrade the HDD not mod it in the first place

for recovery sake though the save exploit is a much better method but yes you do require the extra hardware (Action Replay or USB ect)/game as you get to backup the key needed to lock a drive for the xbox so if that xbox HDD dies or whatever you can replace it, without that key, the xbox is a brick as you can't use the key from another xbox or you will be forced to buy something else just to recover the key from the actual motherboard

Note that even if you have a USB cable that are dirt cheap not all USB sticks will work anyway, will go as far to say none of my USB sticks worked (all of my sticks I got free over the years though so never had to buy one), but I have the action replay anyway, saying that the Action Replay will not work with Vista up over you do need XP or older or use 3rd party software maybe

I would say for now drop the xbox and play on some emulated games instead, even if you can only emulate up to PSX there are still tons of great games to keep you going until you can afford to mod that brick.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-July-2015 at 07:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmmm I am screwed, but my original xbox is still working but as I only got 2 working games that I dont even like I wanted to softmod it to enjoy the original xbox backup games without glitches (I own a xbox 360 with the compatibility for original xbox and yet many games run slow crashes or become glitchy) I tested Castlevania and if you fall into a hole you don't die you are just trapped wandering endlessly...odd.
    I will keep trying this method when I get a IDE dvd drive, I read it only works with IDE drives not SATA.
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    EP Points

I did it, I found a tutorial that allowed me insert the files directly to my xbox hard drive, it was a hotswap but without the linux disc, but instead on windows xp once the xbox harddrive was unlocked, go to properties and look for a new hardware and update so Windows will detect the new hard disc and using the program xplorer360 erase and paste the new files once done uninstall the xbox hardrive and continue with the installation from the xbox console. The tutorial is in spanish (lucky me) I guess there is an english version around, at first I didn't really believed this method was true cause the first times even though WIndows detected the new hard drive xplorer360 didn't, I guess I took too long in the hotswap process it was hard to remove the IDE port as they said.. "at once not side by side and right after connect the IDE from the PC" anyway my brick is exploited and Im gonna try the ftp transfering again.... didnt work. I will need to buy some blank dvds cause ffxp gives me problems.

It's odd that when I turn on mi xbox from the power button that button turns red and blinks but it doesn't do that if I turn it on with the open/close tray button, gotta be something about booting it with or without the unleashed dashboard, during installation I read something about the options to boot but didn't really knew what I was doing, it didnt explode that's a good sign.

Next step: a bigger hardrive and I really want to know if a USB port for xbox is possible to connect a portable harddrive on it.
    I guess that's too much for the console.
    Last edited by aspinia; 23rd-July-2015 at 04:56.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I need to do some more digging but I was sure USB could only read so many sectors so it is limited (top of my head I don't know how much it is limited to at a guess that is going to be a lot less than the default internal HDD size that is only 8GB) and can't not be read by a PC the normal way, you would need extra software to read the format you would need to format the drive to (FATX that is not supported by any OS except the Xbox consoles)

You can only use the IDE cable on the Xbox but you can get a small SATA converting card that would fit inside the xbox along with a SATA drive, myself I have the biggest IDE HDD you can get that is 750GB if I remember but the only drives bigger are SATA or newer IDE is a very old standard now

It is worth looking at the limitations of an XBOX formatted HDD though as there are all sorts of limitations that you would not think about but is worth knowing

see http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 for more information about FATX limitations after reading through that then decide what you want to go for to replace the internal drive with.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-July-2015 at 10:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

The LED is a matter of how the NKPatcher was configured. Before compiling it you can chose boot functions like power boots XMAS lights and hacked dash, open button boots green and backup dash, open and close boots red and softmod menu etc. You can change the LED settings in UnleashX by going to system. When it comes to using XBOXHDM and this goes for my releases, ldots releases and ldotsfan releases you MUST have the HDD you are looking to mod set to MASTER and hook it to the PRIMARY IDE channel, your DVD drive must be hooked to the SECONDARY IDE channel (in the case of a SINGLE channel PC set the DVD to SLAVE) also before even booting the disc go into BIOS and disable detection on the PRIMARY channel (some BIOS say things like MANUAL and AUTO DETECTION- manual=disabled) This prevents the BIOS from taking possesion of the HDD and you wont get that annoying HDD FROZEN or SECURITY FROZEN error otherwise you will be unable to access the security layer of the HDD which is required for building an HDD for a softmodded XBOX.

Before even thinking about an HDD upgrade you need to back up your EEPROM and FTP it to your PC. Without that file you cant build a new HDD for softmod. As you are new to this I would strongly suggest using Babylon2 as it includes 1080P step by step video tuts, and can create you installer discs for XBOX and PC, do softmods and HDD upgrades. And if going SATA you must use an adapter that has JUMPERS and set it to CS. As for USB in FATX format 4GB is the max partition size (SD cards work best as the memory controller is standard where as thumbdrives memory controllers are not and functionality is hit and miss) Once modded the best thing to do is format the USB/SD to FAT32 allocation size 4096 this will allow both your PC and XBMC to access it. Larger than 4GB does work (very poorly) in UnleashX. When LegendaryFire and myself made USB FATX Formatter we got a Fujijitsu 120GB FAT32 to read (only registered the first 10GB) but wouldnt allow access (no WMVs would play or copy etc)

@Zorlon
    if you want the latest softmodding stuff, tuts/videos and goodies I can give you access to the Google Drive for my site and the ones I set up for EmuXtras and you can hotlink the stuff here. Just drop me a line.