Thread: GBA ROM FAIL - Classic NES (several roms involved)

Thanks

Red face GBA ROM FAIL - Classic NES (several roms involved)

Okay, so this is my problem.

I've downloaded the Rom files for three games.

They are:

Classic NES - Legend of Zelda
    Classic NES - Super Mario Bros.
    Classic NES - Legend of Zelda II

Issue:

Open Visual Boy Advance, then open the .gba file, result:

"GAME PAK ERROR - PLEASE TURN OFF"

I've shut down VBA, and restarted, I've both soft and hard resetted, and get the same issue.

Am I using the wrong emulator? Do I have a bad file? I downloaded these games from two different sites and got the same problem...maybe the games were made to not work with emulators? Please tell me I'm NOT the only one having this issue! Tell me what to do!
    Asyrian Plasma Power!

-Amyrakunejo

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

They are not emulated, its just a emulator on a GBA cart, better off with Nestopia for running the originals.

Edit: seems it is not emulated but looks horrible compared to the NES originals.

you can run them in mGBA and the best way to run that is through Retroarch, if you need help setting up Retroarch, (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT) I will be glad to help.
    Last edited by Warrior; 26th-June-2015 at 07:56.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    They are not emulated, its just a emulator on a GBA cart, better off with Nestopia for running the originals.

Edit: seems it is not emulated but looks horrible compared to the NES originals.

you can run them in mGBA and the best way to run that is through Retroarch, if you need help setting up Retroarch, (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT) I will be glad to help.

Okay, so I have Retroarch...where do the CORES go?
    Asyrian Plasma Power!

-Amyrakunejo

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To make this easier on you just get this one,

latest_RetroArch_full

and in the Retroarch GUI go to, Online updater , Core updater, and then get any of the emulator cores you wish to use.

After that go to load core, load the core then go to load content, select file then find your game.

You may need to do some tweaking in the settings first to get it working perfectly since it is very overwhelming at first.

if you wish to have a much better GUI go to settings, drivers, menu driver, XMB and hit escape to close retroarch and start it again.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can get them working in VBA but they are not worth playing like that they are NES games emulated on a handheld with a screen that has a lower res for the hight so are squashed down to fit

You are much better off emulating the NES directly instead of using the Classic NES dumps via a GBA emulator (instead of running an emulator inside of another emulator)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    To make this easier on you just get this one,

latest_RetroArch_full

and in the Retroarch GUI go to, Online updater , Core updater, and then get any of the emulator cores you wish to use.

After that go to load core, load the core then go to load content, select file then find your game.

You may need to do some tweaking in the settings first to get it working perfectly since it is very overwhelming at first.

if you wish to have a much better GUI go to settings, drivers, menu driver, XMB and hit escape to close retroarch and start it again.
    I got the zip files, two of them, one being the system, and the other being the cores. I wish you had posted a link rather than a search query, btw. #easier

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I can get them working in VBA but they are not worth playing like that they are NES games emulated on a handheld with a screen that has a lower res for the height so are squashed down to fit

You are much better off emulating the NES directly instead of using the Classic NES dumps via a GBA emulator (instead of running an emulator inside of another emulator)
    Okay. I guess I could do a longer search for a good file for the NES version. I just wanted to see if there was any difference between the NES and the GBA versions (that is for myself).
    Asyrian Plasma Power!

-Amyrakunejo